Leader in Close Combat

grabowbe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Checking to make sure we did this correctly.

In a Close Combat, the DEFENDER has a half squad and a leader defending together in a victory location building, and are the only DEFENDER units in the building that the DEFENDER currently controls.

A Final DR which equals the Kill Number listed on the CCT is rolled, resulting in a Partial Kill: one (or more) defending unit suffers Casualty Reduction as determined by Random Selection.

The Random Selection results in the half squad being selected and eliminated, with the leader surviving and remaining in the CC hex.

The ATTACKER is not eliminated, so the DEFENDER leader remains, holding the ATTACKER in Melee; and the leader maintains control of the building as an armed enemy ground unit.

The main three questions we had were that the Leader remains, even though the HS it was defending with was eliminated by RS; that a lone Leader can hold enemy units in Melee; and that the leader by himself can continue to control the building.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Checking to make sure we did this correctly.

In a Close Combat, the DEFENDER has a half squad and a leader defending together in a victory location building, and are the only DEFENDER units in the building that the DEFENDER currently controls.

A Final DR which equals the Kill Number listed on the CCT is rolled, resulting in a Partial Kill: one (or more) defending unit suffers Casualty Reduction as determined by Random Selection.

The Random Selection results in the half squad being selected and eliminated, with the leader surviving and remaining in the CC hex.

The ATTACKER is not eliminated, so the DEFENDER leader remains, holding the ATTACKER in Melee; and the leader maintains control of the building as an armed enemy ground unit.

The main three questions we had were that the Leader remains, even though the HS it was defending with was eliminated by RS; that a lone Leader can hold enemy units in Melee; and that the leader by himself can continue to control the building.
Yes the leader remains, yes he locks the enemy in CC, and yes he can deny building control to the enemy. While you require a MMC to gain control, all that is needed to deny that control is an armed enemy ground unit.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cites that support A_T_Great:

A26.11
During play, a side gains Control of a Location/hex/building by occupying it with an armed Good Order
Infantry MMC without the presence of an armed enemy ground unit [EXC: subterranean units] in that same Location/hex/
building
A26.14
An armed, Good Order Infantry MMC at any non-rooftop, non-subterranean level in any hex of a building can gain
Control of the building; a side need not physically occupy all levels or all hexes of a building to gain Control of it as
long as the conditions of 26.11 are fulfilled.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have a HIP or concealed unit in the building, I don't think you are under any obligation to correct your opponent if he claims control of the building. Just correct him at game end, A26.15.
I've often wondered how much information you need to provide.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've often wondered how much information you need to provide.
I think A26.15's "In all cases, control of a Location/hex/building by a concealed or HIP armed unit need not be declared until game end." means you don't have to provide anything until the end of the game. Maybe if I were playing in a tournament, and I was keeping control with a concealed stack that my opponent obviously thinks is a dummy, and I was going to move it out of the building after my opponent has moved on, thinking the building was under his control, I'd talk to the tournament director privately so he could confirm that I still have control, but I don't know how that could be done without tipping off your opponent that something's going on.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Along the same lines...
Could you use a DUMMY to move and "control" a building, even to the extent of placing a control marker on it?

That Might not be kosher.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Along the same lines...
Could you use a DUMMY to move and "control" a building, even to the extent of placing a control marker on it?
Outside of a SSR allowing it, no, a DUMMY is not armed good order MMC infantry.
A 26.11: ... During play, a side gains Control of a Location/hex/building by occupying it with an armed Good Order Infantry MMC without the presence of an armed enemy ground unit...

That Might not be kosher.
Yes, it would be Treyf ;)

Last edited:

grabowbe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to all for confirming we did it correctly!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In non-CG scenarios there's no rule regulating placement of Control markers (not even sure if there are any outside of HASL products). They are merely "reminders" anyway. So I would not a problem if my opponent placing such on a building he might think he Controls....

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In non-CG scenarios there's no rule regulating placement of Control markers (not even sure if there are any outside of HASL products). They are merely "reminders" anyway. So I would not a problem if my opponent placing such on a building he might think he Controls....
But would you place control markets using a dummy to appear a real unit?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think A26.15's "In all cases, control of a Location/hex/building by a concealed or HIP armed unit need not be declared until game end." means you don't have to provide anything until the end of the game. Maybe if I were playing in a tournament, and I was keeping control with a concealed stack that my opponent obviously thinks is a dummy, and I was going to move it out of the building after my opponent has moved on, thinking the building was under his control, I'd talk to the tournament director privately so he could confirm that I still have control, but I don't know how that could be done without tipping off your opponent that something's going on.
Take a quick bathroom break and on your way back talk to him.

But there is no rule saying you have to correct your opponent during the game when they think they control a building but don't really do so.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marking buildings/locations "entered" that matter is part of bookkeeping that avoids having to recall later.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take a quick bathroom break and on your way back talk to him.
Yes, but the when the TD come over to confirm, and your opponent sees the TD look at just one stack under a "?" counter, then walk away, it will seem suspicious. But then all the ASLers I've met are honest and so I trust my opponents. We also are cautious, and won't base our plan for winning one the assumption that something is a dummy stack that won't affect building control.