Leader direction of first and final fire

Steve E

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In first fire, a squad fires a lmg, but elects not to include his inherent FP in this first fire attack. 9-2 leader directs this shot. LMG keeps ROF. No other targets present themselves in the Mph, so in final fire, the squad decides to fire the lmg .. now combining it with its own inherent FP.
Can the 9-2 direct this final fire shot?
thanks

Steve

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without a rule book handy to cite, the answer is yes. Note that the leader could not direct the squad alone but must direct the lmg throughout first fire.

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I could broaden the discussion that would be great...

What are the restrictions on a Leader directing and using his leadership modifier during attacks? Can a leader use his modifier multiple times within a single phase or across mutliple phases? For instance, can a leader use his modifier to direct a fire group (same hex) in a first fire and subsequent fire attack? Can he use the modifier multiple times during FPF if the target expened more than 1MF? First Fire and Defensive Fire?

I've been going on the premise that this is the case but if I'm going about it wrong, would like to change that habit.

Thanks
Jesse

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A7.53 -- a single leader cannot direct more than one weapon/unit per phase unless they are part of the same FG. ... a leader can direct the fire of a MG as many times as the MG can fire, even if he also directed other units as part of a FG ... Leader direction used diring D1F can be used again in SFF, FPF, or FF, but again only for one firing unit/sw or FG ...

and other limitations continue of no different firers in SFF, FF, FPF, and to hit of only one SW (except ROF).

This is derived from the 1st edition rules.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve E said:
In first fire, a squad fires a lmg, but elects not to include his inherent FP in this first fire attack. 9-2 leader directs this shot. LMG keeps ROF. No other targets present themselves in the Mph, so in final fire, the squad decides to fire the lmg .. now combining it with its own inherent FP.
Can the 9-2 direct this final fire shot?
thanks

Steve
No.

A7.53 Fire Direction (2nd Ed): "Leader direction used during Defensive First Fire can be used again in ... Final Fire ... and that unit/SW/FG can only include firers he directed during First Fire; if forming a new FG ... the leader cannot direct its fire (even during FPF)."

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

mseningen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
to be clear, ......maybe?

Assume 9-2 directs LMG only in DFF

It does not matter if he retains rate:

He can ONLY direct future "LMG only" shots.

He CANNOT direct any other shot, even if the LMG participates
because the unit firing the LMG would create a FG with the LMG
if it added it's inherent FP.

Now what if he directed Inherent + LMG,

I believe he can direct future subsets of that FG, but once
he splits that FG into smaller parts -- he must continue
down that tree branch (so to speak) and cannot trace his way
back, regardless of rate?

So first short -- I+LMG

2nd shot LMG only, -- all future direction is now limited to LMG only,

Mike