Leader Direction of a MG Bore sight shot

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Treated a leader as firing for purposes of marking him with a first fire or final fire counter is not the same as the unit firing for BS or SF purposes. Unless he is heroic, he does not have FP to add and does not "fire." EXC: CC.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Steeply implying he's =not= firing and kinda begging the Q, Why mark a non-firing unit w/a fire marker?

[Much was simpler and saner when fire direction =was= treated as firing. Just saying.]
Could very well be the case - I don't recall being "involved" (for lack of a better word) in any discussion back when this errata came about....

I think both the current wording and the original wording had its issues...

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
I watched a very experienced ASL player spend a few minutes trying every iteration of bypass and so forth to desperately move his entire double MMG kill stack into my boresighted location during a single opening move. To my delight he finally figured it out and then inexplicably actually moved there (instead of waiting for APh). Rolled box cars and broke my MMG...

Oh, and I was combining BS with leader direction in that case - not that it ended up mattering.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I watched a very experienced ASL player spend a few minutes trying every iteration of bypass and so forth to desperately move his entire double MMG kill stack into my boresighted location during a single opening move. To my delight he finally figured it out and then inexplicably actually moved there (instead of waiting for APh). Rolled box cars and broke my MMG...

Oh, and I was combining BS with leader direction in that case - not that it ended up mattering.
I forget the scenario but Fish moved a couple stacks of Germans into the pre-registered hex of my American field phone. No need to explain why I remember the outcome.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Note that Mark Nixon's scenario analysis article (Cold Crocodiles) in General vol 28 #2 talks about a 9-2 directed HMG attack in a BS location as being a 6 down 4 attack. People have been combining BS and leader direction for a very long time.
Thanks for giving Mark some props. I believe that he is one of the most under appreciated contributiors to ASL. Fish and I owe him a lot. Not just for ASLOk. The Series Replay was a success because of him. We go wwwbitd. 🥰

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Note that Mark Nixon's scenario analysis article (Cold Crocodiles) in General vol 28 #2 talks about a 9-2 directed HMG attack in a BS location as being a 6 down 4 attack. People have been combining BS and leader direction for a very long time.
1st Edition is dead...its the NEW AGE OF ASL!!!!
ASL 2.5

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this discussion based on the BS MG and leader DRM only being applied to the attack by the MG, and doesn't include the inherent FP of the squad manning the MG? I'm assuming that's the case but just wanted to be sure.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is this discussion based on the BS MG and leader DRM only being applied to the attack by the MG, and doesn't include the inherent FP of the squad manning the MG? I'm assuming that's the case but just wanted to be sure.
It has to be as the squad cannot bore sight so if they fire, the only DRY would be leader direction.