Leader direction and multiple units in same hex

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All these units are in the same hex.

A squad/half-squad fires and is marked First Fired.

Subsequently, a leader directs a crew/HMG at a different moving target on its first MP...and the MG maintains rate.

Next the player wants to combine ALL these units on the 2nd movement point of the currently moving unit.

Can the leader direct this attack?

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Subsequently, a leader directs a crew/HMG at a different moving target on its first MP...and the MG maintains rate.

Next the player wants to combine ALL these units on the 2nd movement point of the currently moving unit.

Can the leader this attack?
The leader cannot direct fire of units that were not part of the original fire group that he directed.

7.53 FIRE DIRECTION: A single leader cannot direct more than one weapon/unit per phase unless they are part of the same FG. Hence a squad that elects to use its inherent FP in a different attack than that of the MG it is manning does not get the leadership benefit if given to the MG instead. However, a leader can direct the fire of a MG as many times as the MG can fire, even if he also directed other units as part of a FG in the MG's previous attack. Leader direction used during Defensive First Fire can be used again in Subsequent First Fire, FPF, or Final Fire, but again only for one firing unit/SW or FG—and that unit/SW/FG can only include firers he directed during First Fire; if forming a new FG or using a different SW during that Player Turn, the leader cannot direct its fire (even during FPF). Similarly, a leader may not affect more than one To Hit attempt per fire phase (except for a multiple ROF weapon) regardless of the number of SW the firing unit is eligible to fire. See also 9.4, 10.7, and D6.65.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Can the leader this attack?
Nope. Leader can only direct attacks by members of the original FG he directed.

It becomes a more interesting discussion if multiple members the original leader-directed FG fire subsequently at multiple different targets, but I suspect the answer would be the same.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can the leader [direct] this attack?
In my experience, No. He didn't direct the D1F of the squad/half-squad now marked First fired, so, he cannot direct their subsequent fires.
eASLRB said:
A7.53 FIRE DIRECTION: A single leader cannot direct more than one weapon/unit per phase unless they are part of the same FG. Hence a squad that elects to use its inherent FP in a different attack than that of the MG it is manning does not get the leadership benefit if given to the MG instead. However, a leader can direct the fire of a MG as many times as the MG can fire, even if he also directed other units as part of a FG in the MG’s previous attack. Leader direction used during Defensive First Fire can be used again in Subsequent First Fire, FPF, or Final Fire, but again only for one firing unit/ SW or FG—and that unit/SW/FG can only include firers he directed during [his and their] First Fire; if forming a new FG or using a different SW during that Player Turn, the leader cannot direct its fire (even during FPF). Similarly, a leader may not affect more than one To Hit attempt per fire phase (except for a multiple ROF weapon) regardless of the number of SW the firing unit is eligible to fire. See also 9.4, 10.7, and D6.65.
The rule of thumb is that a Leader may omit units for his initial FG but may never add to unit to it.

But that doesn't apply here, because in your case the Leader does not begin directing his initial FG until some elements of his initial FG have already fired without his direction.

That said, I believe he may direct subsequent fires of units only if he also directed their initial fire -- granted, the rule does not include the "[his and their]" that I inserted above, but that's always how I've (mis?)read it and have seen it played.

I could be wrong. I'm thinking you may have found a corner case I've missed. (That, or I cannot recall nor now find the rule that forbids your suggestion.)

Reading just A7.53, I'm kinda thinking your proposed use of Leader direction might be allowed. Clever.

Good Q, Jim.

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The FG can get smaller from FF to SFF but it cannot get bigger.
Correct, but in my mind the nagging question is, can the original FG spawn multiple FG all composed of different members of the original FG and shooting at multiple targets....all leader directed by the original leader?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I can't multi-task during a scenario playing, there is no reason why a 1/2'' counter representing a harassed NCO
is able to do better than I can.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
If I can't multi-task during a scenario playing, there is no reason why a 1/2'' counter representing a harassed NCO
is able to do better than I can.
en 'contraire.....there is every reason....but I digress.....He's probably in his early-mid 20's, which should be reason enough.....