Le Franc Tireur 14 : now available for order

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any hope for an Operation Chariot reprint?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Seems odd, given what I've seen for it going in the secondary market, but then again, I ain't a publisher. :unsure:
Why is it odd? Have seen what FOR KING & COUNTRY go for in the secondary market? Yet it can't even hit 550 on a preorder for a proper print run.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why is it odd? Have seen what FOR KING & COUNTRY go for in the secondary market? Yet it can't even hit 550 on a preorder for a proper print run.
I would think that there'd be some number between "too costly too print" and "too exorbitant to buy." I guess that's the real question though, what is the break-even number of orders needed to make a print run feasible/profitable.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would think that there'd be some number between "too costly too print" and "too exorbitant to buy." I guess that's the real question though, what is the break-even number of orders needed to make a print run feasible/profitable.
Dude .. I have seen it LISTED for $250 to $300 .. but yet not enough people want to buy it at $90.
NINETY.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The problem is that such a complicated product requires a large printing batch. As there are fixed costs for the printer, it is unlikely that you can negociate a batch smaller than like 1000 countersheets (not speaking of the campaign leaflet, the full color play aids on cardstock, etc. ). And sadly, I see no way to print 1000 Operation Chariot for now without getting bankrupt.

But this is an estimate, it is Xavier who has the word on it and has the contact with the printer. In any case, re-printing of a large product like this is time consuming and as we are all amateurs, we mostly prefer to put time and ressources on new products.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a good time playing "Heart of Darkness". Seems pretty well done and balanced, but like most smaller ones, a bit dicey. Got lucky that my opponent's good rolls were on TH rather than TK vs the vehicles and got a lucky capture in CC as the South Africans. Interested to hear how others (better players?) feel about that scenario (FT232).
Played this one in the 2nd Line League tonight. I got a couple good rolls to break some Italian squads on T1 and T2. On T2 his Italians just couldn't pass any MC. By the end of T2 I had amassed more CVP then the Italians could exit (9 in massacre alone). The dice were just not in my opponents favor and like you, he had good shots on my AC but could not kill them. I used them to cut off his routs.

The scenario seems to be a dice fest. If the Italians can hit the South Africans hard on T1 DFPh, they 'might' have a chance. If not the SA keep the afv's in motion and cut off all rout paths, move in adjacent and massacre in the rout phase.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Resurrecting Matt's question but giving it a twist.
Question regarding the VC's for FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir.

A Condition states that the French must have more Squad-Eguivalents on the Hills 538 and 714 then the Axis, provided the French amass more CVP. Does this mean that if the French have not amassed more CVP and not one Axis unit is on either Hill 538 or 714 at game end the Axis wins? Was this the intent of that VC clause?
I understand people's answer to his question, but I want to clarify something else. The VCs state: "The French win if at game end they have more Good Order squads-equivalent (AFV crews NA) at Level >= 2 on both Hills 538 and 714 than the Axis, provided they have also amassed more CVP than the Axis".

So, is the number of GO squad-equivalents considered separately for each Hill (538 and 714), or does one add the number for each Hill together?

EX: Axis has 8 squad-equivalents on hill 538 and 0 on Hill 714. French have 0 on hill 538 but 9 on hill 714. Who wins?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Resurrecting Matt's question but giving it a twist.

I understand people's answer to his question, but I want to clarify something else. The VCs state: "The French win if at game end they have more Good Order squads-equivalent (AFV crews NA) at Level >= 2 on both Hills 538 and 714 than the Axis, provided they have also amassed more CVP than the Axis".

So, is the number of GO squad-equivalents considered separately for each Hill (538 and 714), or does one add the number for each Hill together?

EX: Axis has 8 squad-equivalents on hill 538 and 0 on Hill 714. French have 0 on hill 538 but 9 on hill 714. Who wins?
Hmmm. To Matt's question there was this answer:

Correct. The French must have more troops on both hills AND they must punish the axis badly.
"On both hills" reads to me that this is calculated separately- ie French need to win both hills and amass more CVP.

But now I am reading this as non native English speaker... Is there anyone form LFT monitoring this site?

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello,

you are correct, this is calculated separately: they must win each hill. I admit that the initial wording is not very precise on this.

Cheers,
Benjamin

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I will bandwagon my support with others who were really impressed with the counters from LFT14. I always held BFP's airplane counters as the most aesthetically pleasing in all of ASL. They are now tied for 1st with the airplane counters you included in all the different nationality color schemes. Absolutely beautiful! When granted Air Support in other publisher's scenarios, I now check my LFT/BFP Planos to see if I have one of theirs that match the design/characteristics.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Interesting - in my book, the BFP (or LFT for that matter) Plane counters are the most chromey, useless counters out there. Scenarios with Air support are pretty rare, and the rules are abstracted enough that I don't feel the need to differentiate that well between plane models.

But it's nice that some like them, I guess :)