latest version 5.9.2 download prob

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
version 5.9.2 is downloading into my computer as a MPEG file and so it will not run on
VVASL 31.15

What can I do????

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
version 5.9.2 is downloading into my computer as a MPEG file and so it will not run on
VVASL 31.15

What can I do????
You'll need to manually re-name it, I think. Or you may be able to launch it directly from the download site.

If you have to rename it, you may need to go dive in Control Panel to get your computer to even show you the extensions, since that's the root of the issue.

S

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll need to manually re-name it, I think. Or you may be able to launch it directly from the download site.S
not sure how to launch from the sight

If you have to rename it, you may need to go dive in Control Panel to get your computer to even show you the extensions, since that's the root of the issue.

S
I have no idea that this means

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
not sure how to launch from the sight

I have no idea that this means
Sorry, since you were asking about 5.9.2, I thought you already had an earlier version and were upgrading, in which case, you can run the setup from the site. Or I think you can, I did that last week.

Jazz has steered you to the right directions. If those don't work, check back. You may need to do some re-naming. If so, the first bit of info needed is what version of Windows you're running. If you're on a Mac, I'm so out of my depth I can't help at all.

S

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You cannot run 5.9.2 just by executing the VASL mod file.

You need to install VASSAL, run VASSAL, and load the VASL mod as a game set in VASSAL.

Follow the directions at

http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods

Download the extensions at

http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL#Extensions
Jazz
I downloaded the latest Java and VASSAL 3.1.15 and VASL5.9.2
VAS SAL will not run from the web or from my computer. VAS SAL will open on my computer but when I go to import the vasl.mod I get the following message

The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\My Documents\ASL\VASL files\VASL.mod' cannot be imported into VASSAL.

when I look at the properties of the VASL.mod its listed as a movie clip.

It will not even run from the web sight

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Jazz
I downloaded the latest Java and VASSAL 3.1.15 and VASL5.9.2
VAS SAL will not run from the web or from my computer. VAS SAL will open on my computer but when I go to import the vasl.mod I get the following message

The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\My Documents\ASL\VASL files\VASL.mod' cannot be imported into VASSAL.

when I look at the properties of the VASL.mod its listed as a movie clip.

It will not even run from the web sight
What website are you trying to run from? To the best of my knowledge, that functionality has been gone for a number of months, and even when it did work, it was a non-current version of VASL.

When you run VASSAL, go to the "File" pull down menu along the top and select "Open Module" (not "Import"). You should be able to point at the VASL.mod file and it should open. Once you have opened a .mod file once in VASSAL, it puts that game in the VASSAL list of available game modules.

It's actually kinda neat as there are a *LOT* of different games with VASSAL modules available. Worth a look once you get things up & running.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks Jazz that worked,
I was trying to open in the 'import' and that seems to have been the problem

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question, Jazz -- do your VASSAL modules disappear after awhile if you are not attentive to them?

I've found that the module I'm futzing with (Guadalajara, in my case) just goes away unless I more or less leave it up. It's not big thing, as my game setup is still intact, but I do have to reload the module.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I have a number of VASSAL modules which appear alongside VASL when I run VASSAL (Storm Over Stalingrad, Warriors of God, Kingmaker, Labyrinth, Conquest of Paradise). I've yet to have any problem with modules disappearing - perhaps that's an issue with Guadalajara or with your PC?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
A question, Jazz -- do your VASSAL modules disappear after awhile if you are not attentive to them?

I've found that the module I'm futzing with (Guadalajara, in my case) just goes away unless I more or less leave it up. It's not big thing, as my game setup is still intact, but I do have to reload the module.
Not that I've seen.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Downloaded Guadalajara two days ago. This time I didn't just "Open" it, but "Saved" it to disk. So far, so good.

I also downloaded PanzerBlitz - Hill of Death (another non-ASL purchase). It is also sticking around. Now back to ASL/VASL....

erock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

I am having a similar issue and tried the steps outlined by Jazz above to no avail.

My VASL.mod file shown in my ziped file recieved from the website http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods is shown as a movie file.

I've tried to unzip it and got a "VASLv592.zip' cannot create VASSAL mod Access is denied" message

I've tried to Open in VASSL and got a "The file 'C:\Users\MLKC\Downloads\VASLv592.zip' is not a valid VASSAL module." message

I can download, unzip, and open a variety of other VASSL mod, just not the one for ASL (which is the one I really want)

Please Help!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hi all,

I am having a similar issue and tried the steps outlined by Jazz above to no avail.

My VASL.mod file shown in my ziped file recieved from the website http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods is shown as a movie file.

I've tried to unzip it and got a "VASLv592.zip' cannot create VASSAL mod Access is denied" message

I've tried to Open in VASSL and got a "The file 'C:\Users\MLKC\Downloads\VASLv592.zip' is not a valid VASSAL module." message

I can download, unzip, and open a variety of other VASSL mod, just not the one for ASL (which is the one I really want)

Please Help!
The .mod files will look like a movie to windows. Makes no difference. Unzip the VASL.mod to a folder of your choice.

When you try to "Open" module in VASSAL you should be able to point to and load the .mod file no matter what windows thinks it is.

I just did this process on my machine. I guess I'm not quite sure just what you did and what happens when you try to unzip?

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jazz,

When I try to unzip the VASLv592.zip file I get a "VASLv592.zip' cannot create VASSAL mod Access is denied" message. The same thing with the VASLv591.zip file as well.

Funny thing is I can unzip a variety of other files just fine. I can also run other VASSL mod just fine.

I've tried deleting and redownloading both VASL mod to no avail.

I,m at a loss,

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hi Jazz,

When I try to unzip the VASLv592.zip file I get a "VASLv592.zip' cannot create VASSAL mod Access is denied" message. The same thing with the VASLv591.zip file as well.

Funny thing is I can unzip a variety of other files just fine. I can also run other VASSL mod just fine.

I've tried deleting and redownloading both VASL mod to no avail.

I,m at a loss,
Sounds like a zip problem more than a VASSAL problem? If you've gotten other modules to run, running VASL is pretty much the same, once you get your .mod file someplace you can get at it.

What program and how are you trying to unzip? Are you trying unzip in one fell swoop or do you go through a selection process as to what to unzip into what locations?

Check the permissions on the directory you are trying to unzip to? The error message kinda sounds like your're trying to write somewhere you don't have permissions. Might be happenstance that the directory you are unzipping to somehow (don't ask how) got set to "read only"? You might try unzipping to another location?

Not quite sure what else to say.....