Latest MMP release

phlegm027

Reaction score
Overlays - So much potential..

I'm proposing to MMP that they produce 'large overlays' - ie. ones like in CoB - easy to cut and use, and which have a significant impact on the use of many existing geoboards that normally collect dust.
The possibilities are almost endless - Villages, Hills, etc., to both cover up useless terrain or to add new terrain blobs.

I've sketched several - and plan to send to MMP an example (already prepared) to mate with Board 19.
Don,
found my Pinnacle stuff but I have to retype the scenarios I’ve got. Lost the files. I also have some ideas on Tunnel and cave complexes.19310

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Creating them is trivial. I think everyone can assume that pretty much anything can be made as an overlay. I don't think it's MMP's job, though, to make scenarios using them - isn't it up to scenario designers to do that, then submit them to MMP?

Now, printing overlays on a clear background... THAT is something that I think MMP needs to look into. If it's doable, then let designers know that the path is clear to create the product that uses them. If not, then that's worth knowing too. But a designer isn't going to do the technical printing work that MMP needs to know in order to make a call about making that product.
That's been mentioned a few times over the past 15+ years...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice overlays!

But whadda ya do if Swimmers and Rafts drift beneath the Bridge?

You'd need a water overlay over the Bridge overlay, then place the Swimmers beneath the Rafts (and units therein), then place a Bridge counter... ;)

von Marwitz
Ya got me. Time to throw 'em all out. ;)

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
Hi all
I seem to remember Chas posting years ago about work he was doing on transparent overlays and said he was having difficulties finding a suitable material.

Alan

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know I have them somewhere; but what module did the Bazooka ‘44 in Soviet colors come in. The NKPA is sporting some in this AP.

Haaka Palle?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With some of these threads you just have to grin and bear it.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It certainly has been thrashed to death.
Maybe you guys should all drop (bear) it.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe VASL overlays are the answer. It already has draggable bridges, rubble...

I assume that most future designers will use VASL to develop scenarios because of its flexibility.

Last edited:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re "too many orchards" on boards 88 and 87, maybe SSR that "all Orchard hexes are Broken Ground ; i.e., it is treated as Concealment Terrain with a +1 TEM (but is neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance to LOS), uses doubled Chapter B Open Ground MF/ MP costs, and becomes a Bog hex for all vehicles [EXC: 3.32 still applies for motorcycles]." [ref: ASLRB F13.1]

Example:

SSR that a Road runs laterally over the ridge into the town from 88W3<->87W6, connecting the left vertical road (on the non-town board) to the town on the right board.

Put board 37 on the left and board 47 on the right. Define North as to the right. (See photo below.)

result: Dudari, scene of one small bit of a massive Soviet airborne battle, 24 Sep 1943.

Maybe use as an alt board for ASL scenario U32 w/these additional scenario card changes:
o The German column sets up on 88A5 to M5
o Russian VC hexes are any hex in or adjacent to 88U2 and/or 88C5. B6.33 DC destruction of any board 88 bridge also gives a Russian win.
o Partisans set up in Woods hexes on board 37.
o Add to SSR 1, Mist [E3.32] is in effect (historically correct)
o Replace SSR5 as per below. Use also new SSRs 8 through 12 as per below.
o Re Russian OB, add 1x SW parachute counter to each Russian drop group [see SSR 11, below]
o Re German OB, add 2x A25.84 2-2-7 Axis Minor SMG HS and an Axis Minor 7-0 leader, all ELR3, to the German OB, set up in 87Y6 (Dudari occupation police HQ)
o Re German OB, add 1x PzKpfw IIIL OP tank [H1.462, note that MA is a BMG] [Ge veh note 15, no Sz], and OBA 100+mm IR missions only, normal ammo.

SSR 5 (replacement): Pre-designated drop points are the 3x board 88 bridges, the 88 C5 VC hex, and (pre-game) 2x of the Russian Player's choice as per E9.12. The drop point for an entering Drop Group is randomly selected each time and could be randomly used more than one time. If a Player's Choice drop point is randomly selected for more than one drop, apply E9.12 anew each time. Wing hexgrain is determined randomly each time. Sticks of each wing are place with a one-hex gap between each. Scatter as per E9.2 for Russians. Russian SMCs drop =not= w/MMCs but separately via a SW parachute counter as per SSR11.

SSR 8 (new): Russian leaders are Commissars to any Partisans stacked with them. Re the Partisans only, at all times treat any negative Russian Leadership modifier as "-0" instead.

SSR 9 (new): German AFVs w/still-functioning AA capability are not subject to D3.7 Recall until Turn 7 or later.

SSR 10 (new): Russians may declare HtH CC as per J2.31. A Russian MMC which would become a Conscript MMC becomes a Partisan MMC instead.

SSR11 (new): Just before all SW parachutes of a newly entering Russian drop group wing have landed [E9.4], the Russian player chooses one SW parachute as the parachute of the leader from that drop group and replaces that SW parachute w/a 5/8th inch parachute for that leader.

SSR 12 (new): All Orchard hexes are Broken Ground ; i.e., it is treated as Concealment Terrain with a +1 TEM (but is neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance to LOS), uses doubled Chapter B Open Ground MF/ MP costs, and becomes a Bog hex for all vehicles. [ref: F13.1] A Road runs straight from 88W3 to 87W6, joining w/the roads at its endpoints.

=-=-=

see: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dudari,+Kyivs'ka+oblast,+Ukraine/@49.8804503,31.2593211,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x40d4704a8d08342b:0xbe5832ee45099c6!5m1!1e4

same, circa 1944:

Last edited:

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I know I have them somewhere; but what module did the Bazooka ‘44 in Soviet colors come in. The NKPA is sporting some in this AP.
Haaka Palle?
HP Armory: BAZ 44 M1A1, Qty: 4, ID: A-D Russian

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
FW Armory: BAZ 44 M1A1 Rocket Launcher, Qty: 4 ID: A-D CPVA, Chap H: 16.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Re "too many orchards" on boards 88 and 87, maybe SSR that "all Orchard hexes are Broken Ground ; i.e., it is treated as Concealment Terrain with a +1 TEM (but is neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance to LOS), uses doubled Chapter B Open Ground MF/ MP costs, and becomes a Bog hex for all vehicles [EXC: 3.32 still applies for motorcycles]." [ref: ASLRB F13.1]

Example:

SSR that a Road runs laterally over the ridge into the town from 88W3<->87W6, connecting the left vertical road (on the non-town board) to the town on the right board.

Put board 37 on the left and board 47 on the right. Define North as to the right. (See photo below.)

result: Dudari, scene of one small bit of a massive Soviet airborne battle, 24 Sep 1943.

Maybe use as an alt board for ASL scenario U32 w/these additional scenario card changes:
o The German column sets up on 88A5 to M5
o Russian VC hexes are any hex in or adjacent to 88U2 and/or 88C5. B6.33 DC destruction of any board 88 bridge also gives a Russian win.
o Partisans set up in Woods hexes on board 37.
o Add to SSR 1, Mist [E3.32] is in effect (historically correct)
o Replace SSR5 as per below. Use also new SSRs 8 through 12 as per below.
o Re Russian OB, add 1x SW parachute counter to each Russian drop group [see SSR 11, below]
o Re German OB, add 2x A25.84 2-2-7 Axis Minor SMG HS and an Axis Minor 7-0 leader, all ELR3, to the German OB, set up in 87Y6 (Dudari occupation police HQ)
o Re German OB, add 1x PzKpfw IIIL OP tank [H1.462, note that MA is a BMG] [Ge veh note 15, no Sz], and OBA 100+mm IR missions only, normal ammo.

SSR 5 (replacement): Pre-designated drop points are the 3x board 88 bridges, the 88 C5 VC hex, and (pre-game) 2x of the Russian Player's choice as per E9.12. The drop point for an entering Drop Group is randomly selected each time and could be randomly used more than one time. If a Player's Choice drop point is randomly selected for more than one drop, apply E9.12 anew each time. Wing hexgrain is determined randomly each time. Sticks of each wing are place with a one-hex gap between each. Scatter as per E9.2 for Russians. Russian SMCs drop =not= w/MMCs but separately via a SW parachute counter as per SSR11.

SSR 8 (new): Russian leaders are Commissars to any Partisans stacked with them. Re the Partisans only, at all times treat any negative Russian Leadership modifier as "-0" instead.

SSR 9 (new): German AFVs w/still-functioning AA capability are not subject to D3.7 Recall until Turn 7 or later.

SSR 10 (new): Russians may declare HtH CC as per J2.31. A Russian MMC which would become a Conscript MMC becomes a Partisan MMC instead.

SSR11 (new): Just before all SW parachutes of a newly entering Russian drop group wing have landed [E9.4], the Russian player chooses one SW parachute as the parachute of the leader from that drop group and replaces that SW parachute w/a 5/8th inch parachute for that leader.

SSR 12 (new): All Orchard hexes are Broken Ground ; i.e., it is treated as Concealment Terrain with a +1 TEM (but is neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance to LOS), uses doubled Chapter B Open Ground MF/ MP costs, and becomes a Bog hex for all vehicles. [ref: F13.1] A Road runs straight from 88W3 to 87W6, joining w/the roads at its endpoints.

=-=-=

see: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dudari,+Kyivs'ka+oblast,+Ukraine/@49.8804503,31.2593211,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x40d4704a8d08342b:0xbe5832ee45099c6!5m1!1e4

same, circa 1944:

View attachment 19633

View attachment 19635
Hey Wayne! Great to see you back!

Your posts were always interesting - this recent one attests to that.
I also valued your rules advice on many occasions.

I hope you are back to stay (active).

Cheers,
von Marwitz