Latest MMP release

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We go through this all the time and new board lovers always can point to a number of things that have not yet appeared or are greatly underrepresented. In addition, one must consider the fact that much-utilized boards can grow stale over time.
Working on AP 17 made me wish we had some crag overlays

And graveyard-orchards.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a lot of overlays we WISH were available (I can think of several). But until somebody puts forth the effort to create
them and persuade MMP that they are needed, wishing for them will have to suffice.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There are a lot of overlays we WISH were available (I can think of several). But until somebody puts forth the effort to create
them and persuade MMP that they are needed, wishing for them will have to suffice.
And we would need a handful of scenarios using them.
Hoarding maps and overlays which we find necessary without them finding any actual use reminds me of my accumulating or keeping junk in my cellar "just in case"...

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Creating them is trivial. I think everyone can assume that pretty much anything can be made as an overlay. I don't think it's MMP's job, though, to make scenarios using them - isn't it up to scenario designers to do that, then submit them to MMP?

Now, printing overlays on a clear background... THAT is something that I think MMP needs to look into. If it's doable, then let designers know that the path is clear to create the product that uses them. If not, then that's worth knowing too. But a designer isn't going to do the technical printing work that MMP needs to know in order to make a call about making that product.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I need a scenario for this board in Dispatches in the next few issues, it screams take the village after fighting through some interesting country terrain and over that hill. If anyone comes up with one before we do I can help publish it. 😊
Steve Swann has stepped up with a promising scenario for these 2 boards already, I'll look to get it out sometime in the next subscription cycle for Dispatches. Nice job Steve!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve Swann has stepped up with a promising scenario for these 2 boards already, I'll look to get it out sometime in the next subscription cycle for Dispatches. Nice job Steve!
Nice. Who’s fighting?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Creating them is trivial. I think everyone can assume that pretty much anything can be made as an overlay. I don't think it's MMP's job, though, to make scenarios using them - isn't it up to scenario designers to do that, then submit them to MMP?
"Scenario designers" and "MMP" are not mutually exclusive categories.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now, printing overlays on a clear background... THAT is something that I think MMP needs to look into. If it's doable, then let designers know that the path is clear to create the product that uses them. If not, then that's worth knowing too. But a designer isn't going to do the technical printing work that MMP needs to know in order to make a call about making that product.
I have proposed this very idea (transparent overlays) several times here over the years.

The printing stuff is no rocket science - the company I worked for did this on standard ink-jet printers for Power Point presentations around 10 years ago.

My best guess it, that a TPP will overtake MMP in the making. Same with the RR overlays (station-kit, tunnel entrances, RR bridges, ...) which Steve Swann is currently working on.

von Marwitz

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overlays - So much potential..

I'm proposing to MMP that they produce 'large overlays' - ie. ones like in CoB - easy to cut and use, and which have a significant impact on the use of many existing geoboards that normally collect dust.
The possibilities are almost endless - Villages, Hills, etc., to both cover up useless terrain or to add new terrain blobs.

I've sketched several - and plan to send to MMP an example (already prepared) to mate with Board 19.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
MMP can't even publish the overlays that already exist to play the scenarios that have already been published. Asking them to publish useful overlays for future projects seems ... premature?
We can but hope I guess, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
von Marwitz: Wbitd, (and I mean WAY back in the day) somebody offered overlays for the SL system.
His initial offering was a shellholes overlay printed on thin acetate, with several more to be offered later.
Unfortunately, the overlays never came to pass {never did find out what happened to him}.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have proposed this very idea (transparent overlays) several times here over the years.

The printing stuff is no rocket science - the company I worked for did this on standard ink-jet printers for Power Point presentations around 10 years ago.

My best guess it, that a TPP will overtake MMP in the making. Same with the RR overlays (station-kit, tunnel entrances, RR bridges, ...) which Steve Swann is currently working on.

von Marwitz
Where are my bridge overlays, d@mn!t!

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Where are my bridge overlays, d@mn!t!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went crazy (as is usual for me) and created sets of bridge overlays for all the river boards.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I went crazy (as is usual for me) and created sets of bridge overlays for all the river boards.
Nice overlays!

But whadda ya do if Swimmers and Rafts drift beneath the Bridge?

You'd need a water overlay over the Bridge overlay, then place the Swimmers beneath the Rafts (and units therein), then place a Bridge counter... ;)

von Marwitz