Late CX question

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I move three MMCs with a leader 5mf and all three MMCs have Infantry Smoke capability, can I late CX each individual unit one at a time until at least one gets Smoke in an adjacent hex for a total of 7mf? Or does the entire stack have to late CX even if, for example, the first MMC to roll gets the Smoke? Thanks in advance.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think you need to declare late Double Time for all of them.

They would only get the Leader Bonus if they "expends all its MF while moving in a combined stack with that leader". If just one declares late Double Time and expends 2 more MF (with the leader) the other two are not part of the stack anymore, so they couldn't spend any more MF later, since they then would not have "expended all their MF moving in a combined stack with that leader".

I think you need to declare late Double Time for all of them, and declare that they will all attempt to place Smoke of those two last MF.

buser333

Reaction score
Agreed. And remember they are +1 to all smoke attempts due to the CX so, depending on what they are, sometimes it is hardly worth it.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
As a late-comer here, I was ready to argue with Klas (gasp!) as it seemed like A4.12 (in conjunction with A24.1) could still be interpreted as allowing Clubby's tactic (technically everyone would be expending their individual MFs while remaining in a combined stack with the leader).

But I realize now that the real clincher isn't A4.12, it's A4.2:

Units moving as a stack expend MF simultaneously and need not spend MF for the same purpose, but must designate at the same time all actions for the same MF.
In other words, each MMC can wait to make their smoke attempt, but one way or another, they will all expend the extra MF(s).

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I tend to agree. In the Smoke-laying case, it remains to be seen what happens if several units declare Smoke, but some of them end up rolling 6 (thus ending their movement) (in a case where they have more MF available for further movement). Does this force the whole stack to stop, or only those who roll 6? (I'd say only those who roll 6 - consistently with what happens if some units in a stack get Pinned or Broken or whatever)

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I tend to agree. In the Smoke-laying case, it remains to be seen what happens if several units declare Smoke, but some of them end up rolling 6 (thus ending their movement) (in a case where they have more MF available for further movement). Does this force the whole stack to stop, or only those who roll 6? (I'd say only those who roll 6 - consistently with what happens if some units in a stack get Pinned or Broken or whatever)
I would think the remaining stack could keep going as the forced stop does not, itself, require any additional MFs expended. The stack has to expend the MF(s) of the smoke attempt, but if MFs remain, the rest could move beyond where the unlucky one got stuck.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would think the remaining stack could keep going as the forced stop does not, itself, require any additional MFs expended. The stack has to expend the MF(s) of the smoke attempt, but if MFs remain, the rest could move beyond where the unlucky one got stuck.
They could, but in this situation the 2 MF for the Smoke placement were the last ones they had.