Larger Scale SASL Missions

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doing some research for another project and started wondering about how feasible it would be to try running a Battalion size unit as the FRIENDLY force (for a single Mission). Would obviously require a Mission rewrite/modification due to the size of the forces involved and maybe tailored more like an standard ASL Campaign Game (not a regular SASL Campaign where there are weeks/months between Missions).

Has anyone else tried something like this?

jwaldron

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DD;

I have run multiple SASL campaigns "simulating" a Marine seaborne assault versus the Japanese. I have chosen a set of SASL missions that would reflect what the Marines would be doing during the 3 to 4 days of the expected invasion, and as each is completed the next is chosen by how well the Marines did in the one that was just completed. For example, the first mission would be #20, Amphibious Assault. If they win then on to #3, Recon, if they lose, #1 Cautious Advance.

I also figure the a day of the campaign is 3 missions, two day, one night (with the Japanese usually being the attackers at night). This does require some severe modifications to the "refit" rules in SASL, such as not using them.

Also, due to losses, towards the end of the campaign one needs to do what was actually done in real life, run two under strength companies to get enough manpower to have a chance at completing a mission.

I have run two full strength companies in a campaign, which requires some changes to activation numbers and die roll modifiers for the generation tables to make it fair for Otto, your opponent.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I've not tried what you're describing but I think you can make it work for at least some of the missions. You might try massaging some of the S? placement conditions so (for example) on a woods board you remove a S? on a '6' instead of '4+', (or don't remove at all) and on a village/city board you reroll any result that doesn't place at least two S? on a multi-story building. On a rural board you could add a 4.1e S? placement condition in addition to whatever the existing S? placement rule is for that board. You might combine any of these with altering the activation number result range. For an added twist you might consider using a 2nd color for 1/2 the S? with a different DRM for that color (if the mission calls for a +1 drm on table A1 use a -1 drm for the 2nd color - or DOUBLE the existing DRM for that color so a +1 becomes a +2...)

For a wholly different challenge you could keep everything the same and just reduce the time you have to achieve the objective by 3 or 4 turns...(depending on the mission, some won't lend themselves to this.) One of the cool things about SASL is the degree of creativity you can bring to the table.

Although I've not tried what you're suggesting, in a similar vein I've had a go at adapting '1st Bid' from VoTG to SASL. (I have no clue if it's the biggest ASL scenario out there, but it's the biggest one in my collection.) I've got generation tables made for the Soviets and the Germans and have a draft of the mission card, but I've not had time to play it yet.

Good Luck and have fun! If you give it a go I'd be curious to hear how it works out for you.