Large scenario designs?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

When you are designing a LARGE scenario, are you looking at a "Battalion" sized unit attacking a Company (or two) in the defense?

What are the limits that you would impose on your design for the Attacker / Defender as far as OoB is concerned?

I am getting more into the May - June 1940 fighting now and have been "hording" the French OoB and trying to get more from Ebay or others. Does anyone have the OoB breakdown (besides opening Michael Dorosh's book) for the French?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey K,
One of the ones I'm currently working on, is far and away the largest scenario design I've ever attempted.
40+ Russian squads + AFVs + Big On board artillery pieces
vs
a buncha German squads + fortifications/tunnels/minefields/wire/A-T ditches + AFVs + ATGs
I tried for quite some time to boil it down to a snapshot of the action, but it wasn't inspiring in the slightest.
I think this is as big of a scenario as is necessary for the represented action.
So, that's my "limit".(I guess...)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey K,
One of the ones I'm currently working on, is far and away the largest scenario design I've ever attempted.
40+ Russian squads + AFVs + Big On board artillery pieces
vs
a buncha German squads + fortifications/tunnels/minefields/wire/A-T ditches + AFVs + ATGs
I tried for quite some time to boil it down to a snapshot of the action, but it wasn't inspiring in the slightest.
I think this is as big of a scenario as is necessary for the represented action.
So, that's my "limit".(I guess...)
Thanks Chris.

A Russian Assault Battalion, late war (1945) and attacking either Konigsberg or in the Seelow area?

Cool man.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
limits of size, I'd stick with ( if official) whatever is available in 2 x official sets of the appropriate counters from the appropriate modules. you have 2 players, so wouldn't exceed that in my OoB.

If a TPP, the official sets above with the addition of no more than 1 set of whatever came with the TPP being designed for ( or HASL for that matter.)

If it is going to accompany a new counter sheet, no more than 1 set of what is being included with the scenario.
( new stuff and TPPs you need to assume only 1 player has the product.)

Large to me meant 3 companies per their unit strengths reported the day before the battle, + attachments; vs 2+ companies of the local defenders as recorded after the battle by the defenders, and the reinforcing 2 tank platoons that turned the tide for the defenses, played across 3 Geo maps with overlays.

KRL, jon H

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
limits of size, I'd stick with ( if official) whatever is available in 2 x official sets of the appropriate counters from the appropriate modules. you have 2 players, so wouldn't exceed that in my OoB.

If a TPP, the official sets above with the addition of no more than 1 set of whatever came with the TPP being designed for ( or HASL for that matter.)

If it is going to accompany a new counter sheet, no more than 1 set of what is being included with the scenario.
( new stuff and TPPs you need to assume only 1 player has the product.)

Large to me meant 3 companies per their unit strengths reported the day before the battle, + attachments; vs 2+ companies of the local defenders as recorded after the battle by the defenders, and the reinforcing 2 tank platoons that turned the tide for the defenses, played across 3 Geo maps with overlays.

KRL, jon H
Jon,

Thanks.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Scenario #13 of the original leatherneck pack used all 104 Japanese squads in the box. Took 8-10 hours to play and required a Tylenol to settle down afterwards. LN 13 Sahio's Farewell Order.