Land torpedoes

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The hijacking of the SL Liscensed By Hasbro thread to a discussion of electric vehicles and the internal combustion engine got me curious about EVs in WWII. I checked out some videos and it was very interesting, especially the early developments of land torpedoes as they were called in the beginning.

The French used a version in WWI. It wasn't very accurate when it came to steering but if I heard correctly it carried 1000 pounds of explosives! Accuracy was not really necessary with that payload.

There was a Romanian version of the Goliath in WWII but it may have only reached the prototype stage of development.

I'd be interested in hearing about other EVs in WWII. Subs I know about. 🤣

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably the most well-known was the German Fritz-X which was arguably the first precision guided munition (320KG) deployed in combat. It was an anti-ship missile (glide bomb) launched from a Do 217 launched from about 5km out and at least one hit the USS Savanah off Salerno during the invasion of Italy and perhaps other ships. Since the Allies knew so little about it, some ships struck by such devices may have reported they were struck by conventional sources.