Lack of Steel Panthers clone games

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody ever wonder why Steel Panthers games have never been cloned? :(

The original game went into two seperate development camps, Camo workshop and Matrix. Matrix was working for years on Combat Leader. It was the only Steel Panthers Clone game that I've ever seen being developed.
They never bothered to finish it though.
Are there more Steel Panthers clones out there somewhere?

The reason I post this is as I read the Forum over at Shapnel Games regarding winSPMBT. Everybody wants more features. My major want for features is the ability to play online. This PBEM stuff has got to go.
Lets face it,as good as winSPMBT is,it could be way better. It's frankly amazing that Camo Workshop have done as much as they have with the game.

To me though the game is more fun playing the computer. Why? Because you can control everything. And most importantly you dont have to wait.
I can allready hear people saying. The AI is no challange. Thats the number one reason why Steel Panthers clone games need to be developed. The AI could be alot better. But I have found that if you stack the deck in favour of the AI it does get challanging and fun enough using WinSPMBT.

It's a game with a decent following even after all this time,and yet no clones have spawned.:cry::cry::cry:

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed that too, and wondered why for so long I just don't ever think about it any more. All I know is that it's a great game. Maybe there would be to much compotition from all the free copies of Steel Panthers. I mean not to many people will buy a Steel Panthers clone when they can get one that is reliable, time tested, and updated, and all for free.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe there would be to much compotition from all the free copies of Steel Panthers. I mean not to many people will buy a Steel Panthers clone when they can get one that is reliable, time tested, and updated, and all for free.

Thats a vallid point ,but there's only so much you can do with 10 plus year old game code. Like we will never have more than 4 weapon slots per unit,it just isnt going to happen. And the AI will always be lacking. The graphics will always look ten years old. I'm not knocking winSPMBT/WW2. They are great games for what they are,and until somebody fires up the visual c++ and makes a whole new game,it's the best we have.

Look at a game like X-com-UFO defense,there's like a half a dozen excellent clone games that have been made.

Last edited:

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
I'd welcome an open source (or even commercial) game. Igougo, hex based, tactical, but with a modern engine, with better UI, without the slots etc. No need to be a clone, there are still much possibility left in the genre.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is LockNLoad Stalingrad likely to be?
Not really a Steel Panthers clone as it uses board game style unit counters.
Also the name implies that it's set in you guessed it,
WW2 Blah:bite: We need an SP clone that spans a large section of time,like 1939-2039 for example.

Last edited:

junk2drive

Reaction score
Armored Brigade is a 2D top down pausable real time game that has SP style units at ground level and NATO counters as you zoom out. It is a free download but barely beta at this point.

The designer was inspired by SP, CM and some other games he has played.

kristof

Reaction score
Country
ll
As for A.I. my friends, Graphics may be going through the roof, But A.I. is still in it's infancy and a major problem with all games, tactical/strategic/operational.

Computers are just plain stupid unless programed otherwise (and that is realy difficult). I dont see any real work on this problem as the payback is small, as people (in general) demand better graphics.

More flash = more bucks......Not many people will buy a game if it has good A.I. but poor graphics....... The superficial rules.

Not good for serious gamers.

Last edited:

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wish Mr Grigsby and Mr Billings took a break from their monster operational games and came back and made a new monster squad level game, then went back to making WitW and WitEv2 followed by the whole war war in the...so they have about 15 years worth of work there so it isn't going to happen sadly.

Someone should come along and start up a kickstarter for a similar kind of game!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not really a Steel Panthers clone as it uses board game style unit counters.
Also the name implies that it's set in you guessed it,
WW2 Blah:bite: We need an SP clone that spans a large section of time,like 1939-2039 for example.
Ok, replying very late to this, but I have to say - the Lock'N'Load Stalingrad game exceeded my expectations. The AI actually teaches you how to play the boardgame better, if you pay attention - such as delaying using your SW until late in the turn, etc.