KV2 turret

Pte Parts

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Chapter H says that the KV2 turret was so slow that the tank is treated as NT. Does the turret also suffer from RST restrictions? That is, must it be BU to fire like most other Russian tanks of the time?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, very much so. I've been playing off and on for 10 years now.
Thanks! All I know about it is what I've seen on tv advertisements. Looks like fun but rarely game anymore. In the middle of Civ 3 PTW game that I haven't played since April. Captain Bacchus occupies too much of my free time.??????

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jesus, some of those wrecks from the video looked like they were put through a proverbial wood-chipper.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That turret looks like it belongs on a warship.
Close...

... but this 'ingenious' idea was - needless to say - of German origin.

You may have heard of the P.1000 "Ratte", which sported a naval battleship turret and was supposed to be propulsed by submarine engines...

There is even a quite current entire book on such crazy German projects, including the P.1000.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Close...

... but this 'ingenious' idea was - needless to say - of German origin.

You may have heard of the P.1000 "Ratte", which sported a naval battleship turret and was supposed to be propulsed by submarine engines...

View attachment 15308

There is even a quite current entire book on such crazy German projects, including the P.1000.

von Marwitz
Action Debbie, who is not a history buff, was watching a documentary with me where they showed footage of the Maus prototype. Her comment: that's stupid! Nuff said.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
How does is compare to war thunder?
I got into War Thunder for a while - never played WoT (well, I did a quick trial and deleted it) - but War Thunder seems pretty cartoony, which of course is the fun. The free to play model is very fun at first but you quickly get outclassed to the point you either need to pony up money to keep up, or get out in frustration. I'm not sure there was a whole lot of attention paid to various quirks of the different models, but so much of the game is buried "under the hood" it would be hard to tell.

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Chapter H says that the KV2 turret was so slow that the tank is treated as NT. Does the turret also suffer from RST restrictions? That is, must it be BU to fire like most other Russian tanks of the time?
Why would you think that is the case?

There is no RST marking on the counter or in the Chap H illustration, and it is listed as NT in the Russian vehicle listing.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! All I know about it is what I've seen on tv advertisements. Looks like fun but rarely game anymore. In the middle of Civ 3 PTW game that I haven't played since April. Captain Bacchus occupies too much of my free time.??????
The tv adds are a bit over the top. The game does not play that fast. Most games last around 8-10 minutes. 15 on 15 and are setup to be "balanced" It's a first-person shooter.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Gave 'em both brief try. World of Tanks/War Thunder both favour German tanks. Stopped playing both when US 76mm rounds were bouncing of the side armour of Panthers or the front of StuGs.

Since a large portion of the online players still adhere to the old 'mythical' view of German kit, they get torqued right out of shape if you suggest their tanks have weaknesses.

And the game designers want their coin,...so,....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not like ramming tanks to turn them turtle, without damaging your own machine, is all that more realistic. I found myself mostly wrapped up in the gorgeous scenery. If Combat Mission had found a way to model terrain with that kind of fidelity, they would have been a lot more popular.