Kupyansk - The Trials & Tribulations of 298th Infantry Division

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was my first scenario of the new Kharkov '43 title. This scenario is a 19 turn affair replicating the 298th Infantry Divisions attempt to hold while strung out along the Oskol River and centered on the town of Kupyansk. Basically a collection of grenadiers and police units facing the attacking 15th Rifle corps and 6th Guards Cavalry Corps.

There appeared to be only to victory hexes, Kupyansk for 500 points and another town, Dvurechnaya, further north for 250 points.

Having only recently re-started playing PzC, as the Soviet against the AI I planned to hold in the center and attempt breakthroughs north and south which would allow me to push mobile forces through those gaps to envelop Kupyank.

The river was quickly crossed and the 115th Rifle Division captured and held Dvurechnaya within the first five-eight turns. This sprung both the 201st Tank Brigade and the 8th Cavalry Division for their initial objectives which were units at Kas'yanovko (21,8) and an unamed hex (17,14) apparently guarding supply lines which led to back to an axis supply source.

In the south, the 172nd Rifle Division crossed the river at KopyanskUzlovoy which provided a gap for the 13th Guards Cavalry Division to race through and toward their initial objective of (18,24) where another rear area unit was apparently guarding supply lines and some bridgings about five kilometers west of Kupyansk.

Once the mobile forces attained their initial objectives, they turned inward and began closing on Kupyansk by attacking any HQ and artillery units within their path. 13th Guards Cavalry had the shortest route so they were able to seize Kupyansk on around Turn 15.

It was at this point that those German units in bridgeheads east of the river seemed vulnerable to attack by those soviet units in the center, of note the 350th Rifle Division which did conduct a late attack clearing most of the german units on the east side of the Oskol opposite Kupyansk.

A question for you well experienced PzC players...in the game what effect does cutting enemy supply lines provide? In this scenario my mobile forces apparently cut off the german forces on the river from their supply sources in hexes (0,23) and (8,0). Also, these mobile forces ravaged the german rear area and both objective hexes were captured but only a minor victory was attained. Are there losses or other "activities" to avoid when it comes to the final tally?

Thanks

Hudson

Reaction score
Losses are the big thing. If you lose expensive units, the enemy can still almost beat you. Also cutting off supply will make a unit start to become low on ammo and not be able to fire. Isolation is also a big one as a unit will become steadily worse. When you look at the victory point screen, like the one below:

You will see the points gained by certain unit eliminations. You may want to play a game or two with Fog of War off so that you can select surrounded enemy units and see their status like whether they are isolated or low on ammo. I got 62 points off his vehicle eliminations which earned me more than the men I wiped out

that helps a lot to first learn.

Check out some of my AAR's here on my site and see some of the effects http://bluntforcegamer.com/?p=2112 that one has a few pics of isolated French Units

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Hudson.

Does blocking lines of communication between an enemy unit and its supply source, not specifically isolating it, increase the chance of low ammo, and other such effects? I did not see anything apparent when I felt that I did cut the lines from both of the axis supply sources.

Thanks again,

Pete

Hudson

Reaction score
Hmm that is a good question. It SHOULD do so, reducing the chance to get low ammo removed. But all I could find was this

Supply Determination
When supply issues are being resolved for a unit in a given hex, the Local Supply Value that applies to that hex is used. If there are no Supply Sources in the scenario for that side, then the Global Supply Value is used for this purpose. Otherwise, the Supply Source of highest value affecting that hex is used. If the unit is Isolated, then the Local Supply Value in the hex is 0. Otherwise, the unit must trace a line of communication (a line of hexes free of enemy units and their Zone of Control crossing rivers only using bridges or ferries) to any Supply Source hex or map edge ground hex when Supply Sources do not exist. In the absence of Supply Sources, any map edge ground hex is essentially a Supply Source with that side’s Global Supply Value. If there are Supply Sources used for that side in the scenario, then the unit must trace a line of communication to a Supply Source rather than ground edge hexes. . When determining this line of communication, the presence of friendly units negates enemy Zones of Control.

Your HQ units and your base Supply Value (and Supply Sources depending on the scenario) will determine your supply state. Be sure in each scenario that you are aware of your base Supply Value and any Supply Sources on the map and their values. Understand which HQ units are strong or weak based on their command range and their quality rating. Understand your command hierarchy and which units are subordinate to which organizations.
• Make sure you keep your units in the vicinity of their HQ (within the command radius of the HQ if possible). Likewise, pay attention to the distance between each HQ and its superior HQ as that will effect the ability of the superior HQ to provide support.
• Be careful about leaving your HQ units in Travel Mode. This cuts their command range by 1/4. Consider taking HQ units out of Travel Mode as soon as you have established a position.
• Be careful to avoid exposing your HQ units to enemy fire as a Disrupted HQ has its command range cut in half while a Broken HQ has no command range.
• When you are in combat, Low Ammo problems will become more likely. When you are performing a breakthrough or racing to the defense of a position, expect to have more Low Fuel problems.
• Consider regrouping at night and establishing a position with your units in proximity to their HQ and the HQ out of Travel Mode. This will give you the best chance of avoiding refueling problems during the midnight turn.
• When Low Fuel problems develop, consider taking action that works towards solving the problems. This includes getting your HQ unit out of Travel Mode and returning your Low On Fuel units to within the command range of their HQ. You may also have to decide to withdraw an organization with severe supply problems so as to increase the support you get from the superior HQ.
• Pressing on after Low On Fuel problems have developed during a breakthrough is a risky decision and combined with potential Low On Ammo problems that may arise after you make contact puts your forces at risk.
• With Fog-Of-War in effect, you will not be able to explicitly see which enemy units have ammo or fuel problems, but if you understand what situations are likely to lead to such problems, you can use this to conclude good opportunities to try and take advantage of enemy supply problems.

Last edited:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw that in the guide as well, and wondered if you or any others saw such effects in-game. I have not yet played enough to come to a decision whether or not by going deep and cutting the road net with ZoC's would have an adverse effect on enemy units on the far side from their supply source.

I'll have to keep plugging away.

Thanks again,

Pete