17. Fire Fight #2
18. Special Forces

Shall I continue?

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree with Pitman that HOB acted unprofessionally in releasing the Kreta product with a map it knew full well it didn't match the specs they provided to their printing company.

Pitman is bang-on, HOB should have delayed the Kreta release until they received a well-deserved new map run from their printer which met their specs. Their printer should be held accountable for their fundamental mistakes. And HOB should be accountable for their decision to use a poor printing company, as well as trying to let this printing error slide with their customers.

I'll be honest and admit I don't buy from companies which act unprofessionally in entirely preventable ways.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I'll be honest and admit I don't buy from companies which act unprofessionally in entirely preventable ways.

That's good to know.

So, you don't own a single Critical Hit item?

arno_FR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am with HoB's guys. "Gardez le cap !"
And I will be glad to buy a Deluxe map, no big deal. And i have a very high threshold of quality satisfaction. You deserve all my support.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I don't think you should go into a FF! scenario looking for a utopian balance experience. I think you should go into them for a quick, as-close-to-beer-and-pretzels-ASL as you're ever going to find.

Use them as quick-hitting tactical puzzles to hone your skills and not the typical clash of egos an ASL scenario tends to be. They're f-u-n!
Now you have the right intention!
They were never meant to be anything but Beeer&Prezels scenarios. Maybe useful for teaching newbies in small quick scenarios.

SS

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I'm in the "keep it going HOB" camp too, the ASL gaming experience is always good even if the components have been slipping lately. Contrast with CH with decent quality components but pretty damn average gameplay (with an odd exception or two, HeroPax mainly) and I know which I prefer. I'd rather have the freshness of Crete than a suspiciously parallel release to another companys stuff covering the same action (but different obviously, right?) or the nth release of the worst HASL ever (DTW).

JMO. I'm not biased. I'm not in the employ of anyone. They're just personal opinions based on what I've bought and played in the last 15 years.

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I agree with Pitman that HOB acted unprofessionally in releasing the Kreta product with a map it knew full well it didn't match the specs they provided to their printing company".

Dude thats what I'm talking about I got 40 copies and opened one and did not sense a big issue, only after the complaints came in did I look more closely into it and talk with the printer and found out the details. It may have been a lapse but no intention of doing the wrong thing.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be happy if I just received mine. Just mailed out checks to Matt Cicero and Paul Kenny for some scenario packs today. Lets see what arrives first. I have pre-paid for Crete and have yet to receive it.

fjmaniega

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I would be happy if I just received mine. Just mailed out checks to Matt Cicero and Paul Kenny for some scenario packs today. Lets see what arrives first. I have pre-paid for Crete and have yet to receive it.
Same here. I pre-paid last 1-8-2008, and no news from HoB...

Fernando o_O

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>IAnd I couldn't be happier. I'm stunned how HoB keeps getting better and better. OtO, RBF#4 and Kreta are on par with the very best of any ASL product on the market.
I am sorry Rob but I don't see it. OtO yes but RBF4 and especially Kreta no. How can Kreta's map quality be remotely compared to OtO's or VOTG's map? If VOTG's counters were printed backwards and the map was cracking/ripping by just opening it then maybe that would make it on par. Yes, HOB fixed the counter issue, enough said on that. But the map issue is still being sorted out and until that is fixed there is no way it can be labeled on par with the best on the market.

I am amazed that if a module has some poor scenarios and good components then the module is labeled bad. If the module has poor components but good scenarios it is good. To me it is the total package. Good components and scenarios equal a good module. We have good scenarios and topic with Kreta. Now we just need the map to be on par with the rest of the module.

Keith

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I agree with Pitman that HOB acted unprofessionally in releasing the Kreta product with a map it knew full well it didn't match the specs they provided to their printing company".

Dude thats what I'm talking about I got 40 copies and opened one and did not sense a big issue, only after the complaints came in did I look more closely into it and talk with the printer and found out the details. It may have been a lapse but no intention of doing the wrong thing.
Pretty soon I think the mila 18 question of morals is going to come up.... by mr p.... geez. Pray not....

I have yet to order my Kreta.... but I will shortly.... because it looks to be an excellent module. If the map has a problem then I am going to address it as many already have-- laminate it or cut it and laminate it-- but I am not going to become the trial lawyer, mr p above, has become (gotcha...now when did Chas make his comment relative to RbF4... and what did everyone know at that time?). I might not agree with Zagnut's fire table choice but I do agree with his support for HOB's work ethic and the products--past and present.

If HOB will want to produce an improved Kreta maps I will subscribe to it now... just let me know how much. All this public castigation by fellow ASLers who don't produce product (it does take some courage as well as smarts to do the work) and/or those who do is.... what is the word... unprofessional.... no better, just silly and unbecoming :hissyfit:.

Dang.... ASL is a great game!!
Best regards,:salute:
John

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I am sorry Rob but I don't see it. OtO yes but RBF4 and especially Kreta no. How can Kreta's map quality be remotely compared to OtO's or VOTG's map?

The quality of the paper map has never been an issue for me. I never even noticed the quality of the Kreta map until I saw all the b1tching on this topic. I unfolded it, spread it out, admired it, folded it back up and never noticed a thing until the nitpickers came along.

I put all my ASL mapboards under mylar when I play. For other wargames and ASL with large maps, I'll either get them laminated or put them in poster frames before I play.

My ASL game experience will not suffer in the least by a thinner map.

macca

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Question for the designers. Not having received my copy yet (soon...soon), besides the battlefield trips, what were the main research sources for Kreta - ie did you access the New Zealand records from their archive, which appear to be quite extensive? I aim to visit the New Zealand archive in person one day.
Cheers
Murray

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, Home sick today and the ups man just brought another 4 boxes of Kretas, Do I ship them or wait a few weeks until some resolution of the map (if any) is done?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, Home sick today and the ups man just brought another 4 boxes of Kretas, Do I ship them or wait a few weeks until some resolution of the map (if any) is done?
I'd prefer to have mine now please...

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Steve-

Keep up the good work, if Alex Keys is at the ASL open, I'll pick up Kreta from him there. The map quality does not really bother me since I just hit my local printer and make enlarged copies of it.

Scott

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question for the designers. Not having received my copy yet (soon...soon), besides the battlefield trips, what were the main research sources for Kreta - ie did you access the New Zealand records from their archive, which appear to be quite extensive? I aim to visit the New Zealand archive in person one day.
Cheers
Murray
Murray,

I am not one of the designers, but have close ties to them.

First, one of the designers lives in New Zealand and the primary source were the records in the New Zealend archives.

Some oof the secondary sources are (not complete):

Price of Surrennder - Ernst Walker
Battle for Crete - John Hall Spencer
The Lost Battle - Callum MacDonald
Beamer's book on the battle for Crete
A Unique Sort of Battle - edited by Megan Hutching
The Osprey book
After the Battle magazine

This is not the complete list, but a quick list report.

J R B

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do I ship them or wait a few weeks until some resolution of the map (if any) is done?
You can go ahead and ship mine now. :cool:

I've always been a loyal HOB customer. Some of the recent "quality control" issues have been disappointing in comparison to earlier HOB products, but I'm completely satisfied with the way they were handled. I do hope, regardless of what action HOB decides to take in regard to the map, that you *still* give the printer a swift kick in the ass.

Semper Fi!
Scott