Kreta Review

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How is following the linked-scenario concept of Annual '90 an example of thinking "outside the box"?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is following the linked-scenario concept of Annual '90 an example of thinking "outside the box"?
By listening to the many comments of players saying they don't have the time or space for traditional CGs. This format, while not for everyone, fills a much needed, IMHuO, niche for ASL players. That's how.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Well not exactly HASL's, IIRC, Pete Shelling linked three Kursk and three North African scenarios in an approach similar to that discussed here. I played the Kursk at Grenadier a couple of years ago and thought it was a nice change of pace for someone like me who has never played a campaign game despite being involved in SL-ASL from the getgo.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well not exactly HASL's, IIRC, Pete Shelling linked three Kursk and three North African scenarios in an approach similar to that discussed here. I played the Kursk at Grenadier a couple of years ago and thought it was a nice change of pace for someone like me who has never played a campaign game despite being involved in SL-ASL from the getgo.
I played Pete's Kursk scenarios too. Had a blast. Tense moment bidding to see who moved first on the 2nd or 3rd scenario? I made the right choice though and got to the critical flank first. Lost one of them with a stupid mistake when I moved my loaded Halftrack in front of one of his Guns when I forgot I could exit off East *OR* North edge.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So because it's a HASL, a linked-scenario CG is an "innovative" concept. Understood.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So because it's a HASL, a linked-scenario CG is an "innovative" concept. Understood.
Yes, it's the first of it's kind. It's got a beautiful map, great looking scenarios and an innovative concept.

NOW you get it. Finally.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do think that HoB did more than simply suggest you play seven scenarios and whoever wins 4 or more wins the campaign. There is some innovation in the "Basic point value" for a scenario and raising or lowing the point value based on CVP.

Is it a conventional Campaign game? No.

It is more than a "linked" set of scenarios. IMO.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Rob, there was "The Duel" released as an updated ASL scenaro from GI days that I believe gets the honors as "first" for it is worth.

How can you remember all your games? I only remember significant losses such as against you in "Le Herrison" :cry:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wolkey,

If "getting it" is just telling you what you want to hear, then yep, I get it.

I don't see anything innovative about this linked scenario CG. It's just a tweak on an existing officially published concept.

FWIW, Kreta would be an interesting product to me if it wasn't so costly compared to other TPP products and what you get in the package.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was initially disappointed that Kreta didn't have a traditional CG. And IMO the linked scenarios w/points for each doesn't really cut it - not much excitement in that for me.

That said however, I'm still looking forward to playing the 6 or 7 scenarios right through, but without doing the "CG". My regular adversary and I will alternate sides as we go so that we can each enjoy the thrills and spills of glider/airdrop/Ju-52 landings.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob, there was "The Duel" released as an updated ASL scenaro from GI days that I believe gets the honors as "first" for it is worth.

How can you remember all your games? I only remember significant losses such as against you in "Le Herrison" :cry:
No, just the painful losses. Like my loss to you in The Fugitives when I attempted to cross the bridge before I took out the 467 in that stone building on my side. Wasn't pretty. Kicked myself for being to hasty.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolkey,

If "getting it" is just telling you what you want to hear, then yep, I get it.

I don't see anything innovative about this linked scenario CG. It's just a tweak on an existing officially published concept.

You'll never tell me what I want to hear, even if you know I'm right or everyone else for that matter.

You've had the problem with the term innovation before, so I understand how you don't get what the term means. I will help you. By looking up the word 'innovation' in the dictionary it means 'new or different'.

Kreta is new and different. It is the first and only HASL to use the way you achieve victory thru a series of six linked scenarios at different locations on a large mapsheet. The winner of the scenario gets full VP for that particular scenario and the loser gets 1/2 VP, but there are also VP for CVP inflicted throughout the campaign.

Have you even held this item in you hand and looked thru it, or are all you comments from speculation?

This weekend I spent a couple of hours reading the Kreta CG rules and looking thru the 17 scenarios and I must admit its an impressive product. The map is gorgeous with lots of varied terrain from large hills and air strips to river beds. I will be playing one of the 10 non-Operation Merkur scenarios soon.

Highly recommended.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll never tell me what I want to hear, even if you know I'm right or everyone else for that matter.

You've had the problem with the term innovation before, so I understand how you don't get what the term means. I will help you. By looking up the word 'innovation' in the dictionary it means 'new or different'.

Kreta is new and different. It is the first and only HASL to use the way you achieve victory thru a series of six linked scenarios at different locations on a large mapsheet. The winner of the scenario gets full VP for that particular scenario and the loser gets 1/2 VP, but there are also VP for CVP inflicted throughout the campaign.

Have you even held this item in you hand and looked thru it, or are all you comments from speculation?

This weekend I spent a couple of hours reading the Kreta CG rules and looking thru the 17 scenarios and I must admit its an impressive product. The map is gorgeous with lots of varied terrain from large hills and air strips to river beds. I will be playing one of the 10 non-Operation Merkur scenarios soon.

Highly recommended.
But all that you mentioned doesnt eliminate the "gamey" qualities you get when playing the last turn of a "scenario" ( all out for the VP forget tactics and reality).
Where in a "real" CG you have to worry about your troops for the next CG day and every hex counts, not the magical reset your talking about.

I do agree its New and interesting to some, but its still just scenarios!

Last edited: