Kreta Review

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thought I was the only thoroughbred horse racing participant that played ASL.
Where you from?.....NY and NYRA here.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
linked scenarios vs. real CG :mad: this sucks and always will, if it becomes the standard good luck with sales.

I own this module, but after seeing that it doesnt have a real CG, it wont get played and only serves to satisfy the completist in me.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, you could design one :devious:

Nothing is harder and more time-consuming than CG design. It's no wonder HASLs with full CGs take so long to produce.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CGs also make for the best ASL, so it's work well worth done.

I still passed on this one for the reason swellington identified above.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, you could design one :devious:

Nothing is harder and more time-consuming than CG design. It's no wonder HASLs with full CGs take so long to produce.
I could try, but since its not my job as a customer to design my own games i rely on others, and almost all the time im more than satisfied with the jobs done by designers. But i will continue to do my job as a customer and buy games i like and think are worth it, sorry for not being a mindless sheep and buying everything anyone produces because im incapable or unwilling to design my own games. I know since it takes along time and cost a little more we will probably wont see "real" CG' very often and i can live with that.

Im not crying out for more Big CG's more often, i understand these may not always be profitable to pursue as a business, just stating that calling these "linked scenarios" modules campaign games might be slighty misrepresenting to some of us.

I never commented negatively about the Kreta module just said that it wasnt a traditional CG and so i wouldnt be playing it, and made the comment that sales might not be as high as another type of CG module.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could try, but since its not my job as a customer to design my own games i rely on others, and almost all the time im more than satisfied with the jobs done by designers. But i will continue to do my job as a customer and buy games i like and think are worth it, sorry for not being a mindless sheep and buying everything anyone produces because im incapable or unwilling to design my own games. I know since it takes along time and cost a little more we will probably wont see "real" CG' very often and i can live with that.

Im not crying out for more Big CG's more often, i understand these may not always be profitable to pursue as a business, just stating that calling these "linked scenarios" modules campaign games might be slighty misrepresenting to some of us.

I never commented negatively about the Kreta module just said that it wasnt a traditional CG and so i wouldnt be playing it, and made the comment that sales might not be as high as another type of CG module.

So the scenarios don't otherwise interest you, knowing how the module is presented? This is an honest question, not any sniping; I'm genuinely wondering if the lack of a CG is a deal breaker despite the scenarios/map/counters.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2) I like the linked scenarios idea and hope that this will catch on with other designers. I think that many HASLs are rejected due to the inability of one side or the other not being able to purchase units. Linked scenarios addresses this problem and it has the potential to become an industry standard for future HASLs.
Just to elaborate a bit...

You play seven of the eight scenarios as a campaign. Each scenario has a "Capaign Point Value". (The Campaign Point Value can be increased or decreased by 1 point based on CVP from the scenario.) The scenario winner gets the full value for he scenario, the loser gets half (FRU).

The player with more campaign points at the end of seven scenarios is the winner.

So, it's a little more involved than just "play the scenarios in order and whoever wins more of them is the campaign winner". But it's not a "purchase your reinforcements and play the next scenario" campaign.

All that said, IMO this is a high quality map and set of scenarios and well worth the price.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it truely is a deal breaker, and of course the scenarios are quality, but i have more scenarios than i need, i dont have as many true CG's as i would like, so playing the scenarios is an option im not close minded about them just because they came with a module i was only slighty disappointed about a part of.

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also agree if your into this battle or into scenarios this product is great, production quality exceeding most others.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I really can't decide if to buy this or not.
I'm interested in the action, and think it is nice to have a HASL for a new area - landing Ju52's under fire sounds like fun.

But I already own OtO and haven't played any of that yet, so I guess Kreta would be shelved and not played before OtO. The combination of this, the lack of a real CG AND the price for the module with the new map has put me on the fence, at least for the time being.

I don't have any problems seeing that there are good reasons for not including a full CG, but if included it would have made me buy the module by now.

Btw, I really appreciate the product descriptions given in this thread, it has given me a better understanding of the linked scenario CG included in the module. AND it keeps the interest for the product up, so maybe it ends with me ordering it anyway :D

JM

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Nobody commented on the Ju-52's in Hershmeister's link that the accompanying music was "Ride of the Valkyries" just as in "Apocalypse Now".

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I really can't decide if to buy this or not.
I'm interested in the action, and think it is nice to have a HASL for a new area - landing Ju52's under fire sounds like fun.
Hi!

Just throwing in my two pennies..... I am not disappointed I bought this, but I am also not real excited about it either (unlike OtO, the best single TPP product ever IMHO). I am one of the one who does not like the map and we need not go into that further:D . I have not bought the replacement map yet, waiting for ASLOK to do so.

the lack of a real CG really bummed me out. Yes I know they are incredibly hard to design and playtest and I get all that, but my buddy and I like CGs the best.

He is working on some new rules and we might try to make a real CG out of it (at least purchases and stuff). Though that will be a project.

If all you play are CG, then you will probably be disappointed.
Peace

Last edited:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't buy the argument that conceptually, the Merkur campaign wouldn't be suited to some form of strategically-oriented CG. A souped-up linked scenario system doesn't cut it.

A "real' CG for Kreta could have followed the BRT CG model for example, where particular sets of pre-defined German Reinforcement Groups could be Air Dropped (or landed by Ju-52) on the map at particular player defined drop areas and timings. There's no reason why a CPP purchase system couldn't have been employed for the Commonwealth defenders to buy fortifications, different quality levels of Infantry forces, etc.

Good designers shouldn't let themselves be forced into a 100% historical script when brainstorming CG designs.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Kreta is PERFECT for those of us who don't have the time or interest to play a campaign game. I purchased VotG and OtO, because of the scenarios not the CGs. Also, I don't have the space to leave a CG setup, so the ability to get the feel of a CG while playing a series of small to medium scenarios is perfect for me.

I'm hoping that other TPPs and MMP take the hint from Kreta and give us this type of option in their upcoming HASLs.

One of my favorite sets of scenarios were the seven Market-Garden scenarios in Annual 90 that could be played as a campaign. It was a good idea then and continues to be a good idea. Kudos to HoB for stepping outside the box.