Korean HASL from LFT!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Yes, we need their consent to carry on without them.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there any more we can know about the Korea HASL?

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Xavier, I was one of the Kohima scenario playtesters, so I've emailed Steve that you are looking for him. Don't think that I have Shaun's email address anymore, but I'll look....

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Steve and I will Skype today or tomorrow :)
Xavier - you can tell him that if he needs help just ask the ASL community through Pete Phillips and VFTT. Everyone knows that it is a great product that needs to see the light of day...........

thively

Reaction score
Xavier - you can tell him that if he needs help just ask the ASL community through Pete Phillips and VFTT. Everyone knows that it is a great product that needs to see the light of day...........
I was a playtester in the Kohima project and even when the wheels seemed to fall off in 2016, what Shaun (mainly) had done up to then was pretty inspiring and impressive. This is one of those holy grail projects that hopefully with Xavier's help will finally see the light of day. The map is really interesting, think the biggest hill in ASL. The tennis court is shown on two hexes. Lots of woods around the hill (PTO not in effect usually), and interesting problems for both sides to wrestle with. I'd love to see some of the scenarios moved to the new LFT deluxe maps, or new deluxe HASL maps made for this, especially the tennis court area, I think that congested spot could use a bit more room to maneuver and show all the bunkers/PB/trenches that were there.

Attachments

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So how did the discussion go? What happened?

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Nothing happened. Steve had "some unexpected visitors", so I guess the discussion will happen laterrrrr, as they say in the Philippines. Much laterrrrrrrrrr.

On the bright side, since Shaun Carter is not replying to any email, other playtesters contacted me and I managed to collect another version of the rules, counters, and such, that I wasn't aware of. More laterrrr as well, hopefully :)

X

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

Here is part of the email I received from Steve a minute ago:

"Good talking to you....
Glad we could connect...
Ready to go with Kohima!
" :thumbsup:

The schedule will mainly depend on my future deployment abroad :)

So let's be optimistic.

I will send another mail later in January to regroup all the good wills so that we can move forward with this project.

Best,

X

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Here is part of the email I received from Steve a minute ago:

"Good talking to you....
Glad we could connect...
Ready to go with Kohima!
" :thumbsup:

The schedule will mainly depend on my future deployment abroad :)

So let's be optimistic.

I will send another mail later in January to regroup all the good wills so that we can move forward with this project.

Best,

X
That is good news! Hope the stars align.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Joe :)
So - Shaun was at Blackpool last weekend for Heroes 2019. Instead of a beer he wanted a glass of Merlot :)

We talked and some things came out of that conversation. Shaun has been through a tough time that made him drop ASL and Kohima. Things are looking up for him now (hence his attendance at the tourny) and he would like to get Kohima finished. He does not want anyone else to do it, because it is his baby. Entirely understandable. He wants to finish the scenarios himself. Craig Ben, one of the UK's best players and PTO fanatic, was sitting on the couch as Shaun and I were talking and he volunteered to do some playtesting for Shaun later in the year. Shaun realised that everyone thinks what he is doing is a fantastic piece of work and that people there wanted to help him get it finished and available for us all to play.

What that leaves open for LFT is to design a campaign game for it. Shaun has no interest in doing that. Craig stated that because it is in the nature of the Japanese to fade away a campaign game might not be appropriate. My response was that there are some great people at LFT and why not give them the opportunity to have a look?

In order for that to happen Shaun needs to do the following:

• finish the map. He wants to change some stuff. I think that he wanted to delete some of the jungle on the left of the map.
  • design the SSR's. For instance there is a ridge so steep that running up it would be impossible - so no CX / Double Time. As an ASL idiot I pleaded with him to go light on the rules :).
Once he has finalised that he could pass it to you Xavier and your team to see if they could come up with a campaign game. The scenario's are his to design / finalise.

I hope that this is of some help - it's all that I am good for. I did give Shaun my email and told him if he wants some playtesting by a crappy ASL player feel free to get in contact?

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, in my playtest kit there are three campaign games (not played any though, as we were testing the geoboard scenarios)....

My rules are dated 12 June 2014.