Korea!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably not me, because it will likely take several weeks until mine arrives via surface as part of a bulk order by retailer.

von Marwitz
Yes, but we nonetheless await the unveiling of your FW RAACO layout. As you do such a nice and neat and orderly layout.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I scored my KFW at Winter Offensive. Who will be the first on the block to develop the ultimate Plano/Raaco/whatever compartment layout for all the new pieces? Perhaps a new bag for brother Bob :)
I’m working on coin envelope storage for vehicles and guns. Hope to be done over weekend and submit to TX ASL.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m working on coin envelope storage for vehicles and guns. Hope to be done over weekend and submit to TX ASL.
I use little ziplock baggies in lieu of coin envelopes. There are advantages to both, but I prefer being able to see the counters inside the bag. Not as much as an advantage as it sounds, but I still prefer it that way. The baggies go into bigger baggies, so I have my British Gun individual bags in a bag for ART/INF, one for MTR/AA, one for AT, and finally one for British Guns.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use little ziplock baggies in lieu of coin envelopes. There are advantages to both, but I prefer being able to see the counters inside the bag. Not as much as an advantage as it sounds, but I still prefer it that way. The baggies go into bigger baggies, so I have my British Gun individual bags in a bag for ART/INF, one for MTR/AA, one for AT, and finally one for British Guns.
Mine look like this:

upload_2018-1-17_15-54-49.png

I'm QCing the UN forces notes tonight. I could really use a 2nd set of eyes. If anyone is interested PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As neat as those boards are, they pretty much dictate one style of play. If you use them, they (to borrow your word) dominate the scenario in some ways. To have any kind of variety of action, a larger variety is required. I think that's why they're less featured in the scenarios than one might have expected. I do expect to see them get heavily used in new designs in the next year or two though.
regular hill boards (61, 2 16, etc.) adjacent can provide the 'transitionary' feel of a deep battle (or even mini-CG) .

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stunning...

Just spent over an hour reading browsing through the rules and vehicle notes. I wasn't this excited over a module since Code of Bushido. I like the look of the new participants in counter form. I LOVE how the double-wide boards fit together with a second partner giving more varied configurations. Scenarios give us lots of different participants, but was surprised by the lack of use of boards 80-83, thought the scenarios would be dominated by these boards?

This is going to be a lot of fun.
The boards look cool and do a great job representing Korean terrain. They're spot on, but the KWASL system will need additional Korean looking boards. To that end, I've sketched a number of them (ie. villages, village/hill) and hope to submit them soon to MMP. Korea had a very unique geography and we should add to the ones just published.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The boards look cool and do a great job representing Korean terrain. They're spot on, but the KWASL system will need additional Korean looking boards. To that end, I've sketched a number of them (ie. villages, village/hill) and hope to submit them soon to MMP. Korea had a very unique geography and we should add to the ones just published.
Fully agree the theater needs the boards you outline above. Thank you for your support.

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Pete! Congrats on your fine efforts on KW. Must be nice to finally see it in print. Jess and I are still hanging out, but haven't played ASL in awhile. We're hiking up Mt. Kilimanjaro next October.
Wow, that’s impressive. Good luck! Tell Jess I said hello. Definitely good to see FW in print after 10 years of work. Still can’t believe we got it done. I am pretty happy with the result.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Since it was yesterday that I broke out [of Chosin] the KFW counters and got all but the 5/8" counters into one Plano tray, I did not post this in "Today in ASL." :) While cutting and punching out the counters I watched two Korean War movies on YouTube that I had never seen before, "A Hill in Korea" (1956 British Film) and "Cease Fire" (A 1953 American Film). The former was quite good, the latter only interesting but was filmed in Korea showing the terrain there to good advantage.

Currently (not well typing, of course) removing the attachment points to the counters with sandpaper since I never clip my counters. Will probably try one of the scenarios next week.

Last edited:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Whilst the OP sings his Korea! song, I'd like to sing praises to Mr. Perry Cooke & MMP. It was some years ago that I made a KASL.mdx extension for VASL, which I provided to the KASL Yahoo group for playtesting use. IIRC, we were all "sworn to keep the secret" during the development period. Anyhow, during the recent holidays I received a package containing an unexpected gift - a shrink-wrapped 'Forgotten War' ASL module!
I had totally forgotten that part of the deal was that KASL guys would get the module when it was published - but Perry & MMP did not forget! I'm really grateful for the gift. Let it be known that the MMP guys keep their promises.
Of course I totes deserve it, because that Night/Searchlight counter was probly the most difficult animal that I ever had to create in VASL.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
but Perry & MMP did not forget! I'm really grateful for the gift. Let it be known that the MMP guys keep their promises.
Perry and MMP remember to ask the people who know these things (designers and developers).

And Perry and MMP are very appreciative of the fact that many people are involved in making these games. We can’t hand out copies to everyone involved, however, so judgments have to be made.

We try to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks for helping.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Gathering his men, [Lewis] Millet led them in one of the most ferocious bayonet charges in modern military history, a feat that earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor ..."

Millet has an account about going Berserk in the book "No Bugles No Drums - an oral history of the Korean War" by Rudy Tomedi that fits particularly well with ASL.

Last edited: