Korea: The Forgotten War...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
For what it is worth, the vendor whose waiting list I am on has received notice their copies for resale have been shipped and they hope to start selling in mid-February.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was one of the last to preorder...I ordered when the announcement it was ready went up...and mine has shipped

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Research--yes, but not design. One member of the FW design team (Mike Reed) was a co-designer of the KE Korean War project, but FW was a clean-sheet-of-paper design intended to respond to MMP's belief that the KE design was much too complicated.

I think the current release began development using some of the KE research as a base.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. It turns out that designing an ASL module is not the road to wealth and the attention of Sports Illustrated swimsuit models like I thought it would be, but the nice words of fellow ASL players is a good reward.

I just received Forgotten War yesterday.
I can honestly say that I have not been this excited or impressed with a new ASL product since the day I purchased Code of Bushido.

After a few hours spent reading the rules and the absolutely fascinating chapter H, I can hardly wait to play my first FTF game! I probably learned more about this war from reading the excellent footnotes than I have from any other single source...which of course, is more indicative of my lack of knowledge on the subject than anything. :)
Chapter H also leaves no doubt as to the possibility of a large variety of Korean war scenarios appearing in the years to come.

On a side note, I was most excited about the Centurion tank finally making its debut in ASL, however after examining the rules, I am eagerly awaiting my chance to command a large Chinese force or have a few Skyraiders available for air support.

My hat's off to all the designers and playtesters. Thanks to your efforts, I may not be back to the Eastern Front for quite some time.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely looking forward to seeing your work. As with all ASL products, FW is not the be-all-and-end-all, but rather a platform on which other members of the community can build.

Terrain. My focus is on Korean terrain and if new Korean looking boards can be produced later on for it.
To that end, I'm furiously studying photos, movies, and sketching out some geoboard ideas. The Korean terrain is very unique - not like Europe, Russia, or PTO (though it's closer to PTO than the other types).

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What 5th Marines managed around Pusan (as compared with the performance of Army units), certainly is one of the Corp's finest moments (not unlike the contrast between the USMC at Chosin with the 8th Army at Ch'ongch'on River). The Marine in me would love to see a "Fire Brigade" pack/HASL depicting this exemplary chapter in the Corp's history...
I had the same thought about a focused scenario pack while reading Bill Sloan's "The Darkest Summer". It's also what got me thinking about the Obong-Ni HASL.

https://www.amazon.com/Darkest-Summer-Korea-Marines-Extinction/dp/1416571752

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the same thought about a focused scenario pack while reading Bill Sloan's "The Darkest Summer".
Just finishing this one up. Next in the queue is Hammes' "Forgotten Warriors: The 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, the Corps Ethos, and the Korean War." I also ordered volume 1 of "U.S. Marine Operations in Korea 1950-53," which is devoted to Pusan actions (I've previously read volumes 2 and 3).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. It turns out that designing an ASL module is not the road to wealth and the attention of Sports Illustrated swimsuit models like I thought it would be, but the nice words of fellow ASL players is a good reward.
I’m saying they’d be too high maintenance anyway....

+1, strong work. A beautiful package.

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gamer's Armory have received their copies of FW and are currently shipping them out. Just paid for it yesterday along with the new WO pack and Operation Schmidt.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just found this Youtube clip from a Chinese film about the KW. What caught my attention is that Chinese are equipped with Chinese Civil War era weapons, not the later Soviet stuff.

Apparently based upon The Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ch'ongch'on_River

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hence the "Initial Intervention" look.
Precisely!

Having grown up with a diet of entertaining but dubiously equipped war films (remember 1965 Battle Of The Bulge?), I get positively surprised when film makers go to such trouble to get the kit and tactics right.