Korea: The Forgotten War...

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Are the Chinese getting some new vehicles in their own color scheme? I had never known the Chinese used their own version of the T34-85 until I found this page: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/China/Type-58.php
Normally you only hear about the NK tanks. Another problem with most Korean War histories, which are usually 80% first year, 15% peace talks and pork chop hill, and 5% everything else.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the Chinese getting some new vehicles in their own color scheme? I had never known the Chinese used their own version of the T34-85 until I found this page: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/China/Type-58.php
Normally you only hear about the NK tanks. Another problem with most Korean War histories, which are usually 80% first year, 15% peace talks and pork chop hill, and 5% everything else.
From the article, it sounds like the only modification needed for ASL would be adding a 12.7mm AAMG. From the same MG and mount on late war Soviet vehicles, 4 FP.

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
Sadly, it looks like the HP scenarios have quickly faded into oblivion which is too bad. A lot of them were very good but I think a lot of people just cant get over the fact of how powerful the Finns still are in many scenarios.

Scott
Good scenarios yes but just never was a whole lot of excitement in the finnish front. There is a ton of interesting stuff in the rereleased Yanks module and the Korean War module not to mention Red October. Just saying. :devious:

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the article, it sounds like the only modification needed for ASL would be adding a 12.7mm AAMG. From the same MG and mount on late war Soviet vehicles, 4 FP.
Is there going to be some helicopter included with well vetted rules (not the ones from CH)?

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No - helos in the Korean War were relegated to non-combat roles, some Medevac, but not off of hot LZs. Not worth the rules baggage to include at this stage.

Never fear, though - there's plenty of other things to keep you busy... ;-)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No - helos in the Korean War were relegated to non-combat roles, some Medevac, but not off of hot LZs. Not worth the rules baggage to include at this stage.

A "Hot Lips" Houlihan counter?

JR

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Cool..Thanks for the info. I am waiting tooth and nail or this to come out.My guess would be 2017, sometime.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Good scenarios yes but just never was a whole lot of excitement in the finnish front. There is a ton of interesting stuff in the rereleased Yanks module and the Korean War module not to mention Red October. Just saying. :devious:
Got to agree with Joe.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, you could always cheer for my Hawks (as I cheered for CLE/LeBron these past two years). Might be a better experience for you if your town would lend mine some of your basketball stars.

Note: Born in ND, so I reserve the right to cheer for whatever team I want. Braves TV was free while growing up, so I kind of adopted all the Atlanta teams as mine. :)

I do believe 'Shoot 'N Scoot' and 'Ace in the Hole' are re-released therein.

Funny thing about winning sports in CLE. Many of us are taking a break from ASL to savor it.

Could be a contributing factor to all of the ASL design work, playtesting, ASLOk etc over the years. We had nothing to get excited about on the sports end.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand. Why aren't "good scenarios" enough to make excitement?

In other words: How is there less excitement with learning the intricacies of new AFV/Guns/nationalities, possibly in new settings, as opposed to playing German vs Russian/American/whomever again and again? Not that those are bad, obviously, but I'm not seeing the distinction. And I'm genuinely curious.

It's almost as if we're so busy wanting The Next Thing™ that we can't enjoy what's on the table now.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
It's almost as if we're so busy wanting The Next Thing™ that we can't enjoy what's on the table now.
I second. In fact I wouldn't mind a full production stop for a couple of years in order for me to be able to play through at least a fraction of the stuff that I already own. Except Yanks of course. Really need those new US counters. That's not to say, I'm not looking forward to the Korea module as well. Quite eagerly, in fact. But that's ok. I'm human, I'm allowed to contradict myself even within a single paragraph.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

In other words: How is there less excitement with learning the intricacies of new AFV/Guns/nationalities, possibly in new settings, as opposed to playing German vs Russian/American/whomever again and again? Not that those are bad, obviously, but I'm not seeing the distinction. And I'm genuinely curious.

Very true

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
True

But don't you LOVE a customer base like this? :)

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

While for some people it probably is a "The Next Thing" situation, there's also the whole weird, "I only like World War II (narrowly defined) and I'm opposed to playing ASL scenarios set in any other conflict regardless of how good they are" mindset which I think keeps some people away from HP (and will also sadly keep them away from KWASL too). That's the real headscratcher to me, because at the granularity of ASL scenarios the particular war being fought is rather irrelevant as long as it was fought between the early 1920s and late 1950s.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Chas A never said a truer word, rep verboten unfortunately.

Anyone who has read many of my posts likely has a good idea that I am not a typical ASLer. I am more a history dabbler in DYO than a scenario player. So anything that expands the wonderful toybox that ASL is is welcomed by me. They can be squads, SW, vehicles, guns or boards. So for me it's less that it's new and shiny but that it fills existing gaps. A recent example were boards 72-75 which added terrain 'sets' that were either under or not represented in ASL.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While for some people it probably is a "The Next Thing" situation, there's also the whole weird, "I only like World War II (narrowly defined) and I'm opposed to playing ASL scenarios set in any other conflict regardless of how good they are" mindset which I think keeps some people away from HP (and will also sadly keep them away from KWASL too). That's the real headscratcher to me, because at the granularity of ASL scenarios the particular war being fought is rather irrelevant as long as it was fought between the early 1920s and late 1950s.
Why would the HP scenarios not be considered to take place during WWII ?!?!