Korea: The Forgotten War...

Discussion in 'Multi-Man Publishing' started by burniefox, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ParaMarine

ParaMarine #1 fan of Hungary

Aug 26, 2012
    Kursk, south flank
    Are the Chinese getting some new vehicles in their own color scheme? I had never known the Chinese used their own version of the T34-85 until I found this page: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/China/Type-58.php
    Normally you only hear about the NK tanks. Another problem with most Korean War histories, which are usually 80% first year, 15% peace talks and pork chop hill, and 5% everything else.

2. JRKrejsa

JRKrejsa Active Member

Sep 21, 2005
    USA
    From the article, it sounds like the only modification needed for ASL would be adding a 12.7mm AAMG. From the same MG and mount on late war Soviet vehicles, 4 FP.

3. Justiciar

Justiciar Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Within Range
  4. jpellam

jpellam Kamikaze Landing Gear

Jun 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Good scenarios yes but just never was a whole lot of excitement in the finnish front. There is a ton of interesting stuff in the rereleased Yanks module and the Korean War module not to mention Red October. Just saying. :devious:

5. kynken

kynken Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Is there going to be some helicopter included with well vetted rules (not the ones from CH)?

6. FourDeuceMF

FourDeuceMF Active Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Geneva, IL (Chicago)
    No - helos in the Korean War were relegated to non-combat roles, some Medevac, but not off of hot LZs. Not worth the rules baggage to include at this stage.

Never fear, though - there's plenty of other things to keep you busy... ;-)

7. jrv

jrv Vare, legiones redde!

May 25, 2005
    Teutoburger Wald
    A "Hot Lips" Houlihan counter?

JR

8. kynken

kynken Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Cool..Thanks for the info. I am waiting tooth and nail or this to come out.My guess would be 2017, sometime.

9. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    nj
    And a 6+1 "Burns" counter?

10. JRKrejsa

JRKrejsa Active Member

Sep 21, 2005
    USA
    Hoping for WO17. But we will see.

11. Honza

Honza The Art Of Wargames Silver Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Oxfordshire
    Got to agree with Joe.

jpellam likes this.
  12. Will Fleming

Will Fleming Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Singapore
    Well, you could always cheer for my Hawks (as I cheered for CLE/LeBron these past two years). Might be a better experience for you if your town would lend mine some of your basketball stars.

Note: Born in ND, so I reserve the right to cheer for whatever team I want. Braves TV was free while growing up, so I kind of adopted all the Atlanta teams as mine. :)

13. Chas Argent

Chas Argent Play to the end.

Jan 28, 2003
    Catonsville, MD
    I don't understand. Why aren't "good scenarios" enough to make excitement?

In other words: How is there less excitement with learning the intricacies of new AFV/Guns/nationalities, possibly in new settings, as opposed to playing German vs Russian/American/whomever again and again? Not that those are bad, obviously, but I'm not seeing the distinction. And I'm genuinely curious.

It's almost as if we're so busy wanting The Next Thing™ that we can't enjoy what's on the table now.

alanlynott, BobK13 and chris_olden like this.
  14. chris_olden

chris_olden Surf Nazi

Jan 29, 2006
    Room 429
    Agreed.

15. takai

takai Active Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Europe
    I second. In fact I wouldn't mind a full production stop for a couple of years in order for me to be able to play through at least a fraction of the stuff that I already own. Except Yanks of course. Really need those new US counters. That's not to say, I'm not looking forward to the Korea module as well. Quite eagerly, in fact. But that's ok. I'm human, I'm allowed to contradict myself even within a single paragraph.

16. JRKrejsa

JRKrejsa Active Member

Sep 21, 2005
    USA
    Very true

17. hongkongwargamer

hongkongwargamer PTO neophyte Silver Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2013
    17 hexes
    True

But don't you LOVE a customer base like this? :)

18. Srynerson

Srynerson Active Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Denver
    While for some people it probably is a "The Next Thing" situation, there's also the whole weird, "I only like World War II (narrowly defined) and I'm opposed to playing ASL scenarios set in any other conflict regardless of how good they are" mindset which I think keeps some people away from HP (and will also sadly keep them away from KWASL too). That's the real headscratcher to me, because at the granularity of ASL scenarios the particular war being fought is rather irrelevant as long as it was fought between the early 1920s and late 1950s.

19. Paul M. Weir

Paul M. Weir Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Chas A never said a truer word, rep verboten unfortunately.

Anyone who has read many of my posts likely has a good idea that I am not a typical ASLer. I am more a history dabbler in DYO than a scenario player. So anything that expands the wonderful toybox that ASL is is welcomed by me. They can be squads, SW, vehicles, guns or boards. So for me it's less that it's new and shiny but that it fills existing gaps. A recent example were boards 72-75 which added terrain 'sets' that were either under or not represented in ASL.

20. horseshoe

horseshoe Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Memphis, Tn
    Why would the HP scenarios not be considered to take place during WWII ?!?!

william.stoppel likes this.