Korea: The Forgotten War...

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
While everyone is waiting - you might head over to The Two Halfsquads podcast and listen to what Ken has to say about the module - one of the most interesting interviews T2HS has done in my opinion.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
To add to Andy's comments, I've submitted an article on the Canadians in Korea to MMP for a future Journal. Which isn't to say it's been accepted, but I think those of us who were involved in the design (even those like me whose role was extremely minor and peripheral) will do their best to help this unique ASL product succeed.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That reminds me of Journal 12.

"Seven more pages are devoted to a historical article by Andrew Hershey on Korean Marines, a small military force that at its height numbered only around 4,000 men. If such a lengthy article for such a minor unit seems a bit like overkill, it seems that the same overkill will exist in the ASL Korean War module, because this article reveals that this tiny force will not only get its own squad type, it will get two different squad types. This itself suggests that the Korean module design will be dominated by the bean-counter school of ASL typified by the portrayal of the USMC rather than the design-for-effect school of ASL exemplified by John Hill that still governs most ASL squad types."

Whomever said that betrays no great understanding of the Korean War. From 1951 to the end of hostilities, it was a war of small unit actions. It was rare to see a whole battalion in action on any given day, much less a brigade. The UN lines were packed with individual brigades/regiments, all of whom had their own quirks. My own interest is the Canadians, who also numbered somewhere around 4,000 men. You had US Army Rangers, Marines, Royal Marines, British line troops, various UN contingents - all of whom had their own training, experience and unique order of battle. And anyone who reads the various histories, whether official histories or unit histories, will see that there were all kinds of unit and company level actions by these groups worth portraying in scenarios.

The fact that Korean Marines were a small force only speaks to the diversity we will see with Korean War scenarios - which is a plus, not a minus. If you were to exclude any contingent below division sized, it would be a boring product indeed.

I mean, there are counters of AFV types whose total actual wartime production was less than the number of pieces allotted to them in the counter-mix. But it's a mistake to include forces that made up entire regiments? Not seeing the logic there.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine arrived today! Excitement. No chapter W in the box. Disappointment. E-mail sent to MMP. Waiting again.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP guys-

Are you still sending out pre orders?

Because mine is still, “hold for preorder,” ordered 12/31/15. Updated with new CC info, August of 17.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
MMP guys-

Because mine is still, “hold for preorder,” ordered 12/31/15. Updated with new CC info, August of 17.
On Facebook they said they'd still be shipping orders for at least the next couple of weeks.

Brian Youse: We are not even thirty percent of the way through preorders. Patience, folks, patience...

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Because mine is still, “hold for preorder,” ordered 12/31/15. Updated with new CC info, August of 17.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine on 12/30/2015 8:49:47 PM. I just got a notice today that it is packing.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I ordered mine on 12/30/2015 8:49:47 PM. I just got a notice today that it is packing.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

(Sounds of joy in the background)

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was posted on Consimworld that as of Monday they were 30-40% through preorders. And they were closed Monday.

nickgb

Reaction score
Mine was "packing" for week and a half, but is now moving toward my address.