Korea: The Forgotten War...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The USMC rifle squad was much more powerful of a battlefield instrument in April of 1945 than they were in November of 1943 or August of 1942. The rule provides a means to reflect the final T/O changes - to the "fire team" based approach, without a need to create another set of HS counters or 7-6-8 squad types. The USMC T/O was identical at the rifle squad level in August of 1950, but 1 Prov. Marine Brigade was staffed with an inordinate amount of reservists, as was later arriving 5th Marines. How might one represent a "bread and butter, thirty-something, married with children" Marine in an ASL Rifle squad?

KRL, Jon H
Jon,
The USMC TO/E when the 1st Pro Bgde was forming looked nothing like the TO/E of April 1945. The K-series TO/E of the early 1950s was a skeletal looking thing, and looked nothing like the G-series. A division was 10.5K vs. 22K.
I highly recommend reading "Forgotten Warriors: The 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, The Corps Ethos, and the Korean War." by T.X. Hammes.
Also the brigade was formed from the 5th Marines itself, it was the 1st and 7th that arrived 'later'.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In as much as the scenarios depict such a short period of time I'm not sure if a special Ex-W rule would really be in order. This is especially true since many of the engagements were typically fought at night, and it's hard enough to rally guys then anyway. What would be interesting is to see if they will include any early NVG technology (The AN/TVS 2 I believe was at least trial tested during the Korean War). Another aspect that would be interesting would be the impact of the ubiquitous "Walkie-Talkie". By Korea its use was widespread as were many other communications innovations and tactical employments (The Bn/Rgt S3-Air liaison, I think also came about this same time period, though used to some degree even on Okinawa at the end of WW-II).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If you ask me: Take you time, Klas. I don't mind new releases being spread out a bit.

Always better to do things thoroughly rather than hastily.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can we please get this released before the title needs to be changed to Korea The Forgotten War Part I.
I believe MMP has stated (several times) that the plan is at the end of this year. I've not heard that has changed.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An official update to that would be nice.

And pictures of more new stuff!

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I’m pretty motivated about KWASL. I hope it’s out before WO so I can digest the special rules prior.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m pretty motivated about KWASL. I hope it’s out before WO so I can digest the special rules prior.
There are no "special rules." There are only KWASL rules! It is its own incarnation, not some sub-set. This is not your fore-father's war... Papa Hoth. ;)

BUT, if you feel* the need for some "special rules" I can easily arrange some for you on the parade deck very early in the morning. Your call...

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
There are no "special rules." There are only KWASL rules! It is its own incarnation, not some sub-set. This is not your fore-father's war... Papa Hoth. ;)

BUT, if you feel* the need for some "special rules" I can easily arrange some for you on the parade deck very early in the morning. Your call...
Thanks Andy. I’m enthused about this in a manner I haven’t been in a while. Maybe since Crucible of Steel. The Korean War has fascinated me since high school.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Andy. I’m enthused about this in a manner I haven’t been in a while. Maybe since Crucible of Steel. The Korean War has fascinated me since high school.
The journey on this front is only just about to begin. That is the great reward to come for us all. All manner of designers will put their abilities and knowledge to work to supply KWASL with all manner of scenarios to come, and fine extension like CoS has done for WWII.