Korea: The Forgotten War...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious to hear from the design team as to whether they ever considered a second look at Chapter G footnote 43, specifically the ability of the late war Marine squad to deploy into three half-squads. The footnote suggests that rules required to enable this ability would be more trouble than it was worth. I had my doubts about that and crafted a house rule that I suggest to my opponent when 7^3-6-8s are in play:

Late War USMC Fire Teams – Per G17.11, 7-6-8 squads self deploy into three 2-4-8 half squads. However, should a 7-6-8 squad suffer a CR result, it is exchanged for a 348 half squad. Either two 3-4-8 or three 2-4-8 half squads may recombine into a 7-6-8 squad, but half squad types may not be mixed in order to recombine.
Don't think it takes much more than that, but of course I can live with the rule as it is today.
Gosh, came up with the same HR (House Rule) but never did employ it yet (and that was several years ago), have you implemented this in a scenario (DYO or otherwise) yet, and what was its effect?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Gosh, came up with the same HR (House Rule) but never did employ it yet (and that was several years ago), have you implemented this in a scenario (DYO or otherwise) yet, and what was its effect?
Personally, I like it, but it makes the Marines much more powerful - 50% more scouts on attack and 50% more speed bumps on defense. In existing official scenarios, consider giving the opposing side the balance.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT Shermans show up in WWII (US vehicle note 21). These are what show up in Korea:

Don't make it angry.

JR
Correct - a Flame Dragon is not a POA- CWS Sherman at all. The mod was made to provide a HE gun tube at the specific request from the Iwo and Oki Marine tankers in the POAs which lacked a sufficient form of HE anti-infantry, fire suppression. so the twin barreled beastie comes along, spouting a TF and a T105 howitzer (albeit limited ammunition for the Gun tube inside), as well as the bow and AAMG mounts.

Its an interesting design, and the ammo vehicles did also carry purpose made ramps that allowed the tank to elevate the howitzer for indirect fire.

Looking forward to seeing this one in its counter glory - already have a spot all warmed up for the H & HS Co, 1st Tank Bn, 1 Mar Div. - in my counter racks :D

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I like it, but it makes the Marines much more powerful - 50% more scouts on attack and 50% more speed bumps on defense. In existing official scenarios, consider giving the opposing side the balance.
The USMC rifle squad was much more powerful of a battlefield instrument in April of 1945 than they were in November of 1943 or August of 1942. The rule provides a means to reflect the final T/O changes - to the "fire team" based approach, without a need to create another set of HS counters or 7-6-8 squad types. The USMC T/O was identical at the rifle squad level in August of 1950, but 1 Prov. Marine Brigade was staffed with an inordinate amount of reservists, as was later arriving 5th Marines. How might one represent a "bread and butter, thirty-something, married with children" Marine in an ASL Rifle squad?

Finally, I give credit to the ASL designers of the time of Gung Ho - it is, IMHO, unwise to assume they did not take such factors as self-deployment into account when designing the scenarios in the first place. Give them a bit of credit, they designed most of Cptr G in the first place, after all. - If a real problem occurred with play balance because of the rule, after the 25+ years of play between Gung Ho and its redesign as RS - I might also think that MMP would have revised or replaced the rule, or at least the scenarios, if it was really a balance issue throwing things out of whack for any game with late war 7-6-8s in it. Since they di not, I am prone to assume MMP did not see a major design flaw causing balance issues at all. So the rule remained.

KRL, Jon H

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking forward to KOREA...and if it doesn't come out until 2018? Meh, I'm good. I've got so much more to play I would be OK with not having it for another year.

Older and wiser in my 50s? Maybe...

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The USMC rifle squad was much more powerful of a battlefield instrument in April of 1945 than they were in November of 1943 or August of 1942. The rule provides a means to reflect the final T/O changes - to the "fire team" based approach, without a need to create another set of HS counters or 7-6-8 squad types. The USMC T/O was identical at the rifle squad level in August of 1950, but 1 Prov. Marine Brigade was staffed with an inordinate amount of reservists, as was later arriving 5th Marines. How might one represent a "bread and butter, thirty-something, married with children" Marine in an ASL Rifle squad?

Finally, I give credit to the ASL designers of the time of Gung Ho - it is, IMHO, unwise to assume they did not take such factors as self-deployment into account when designing the scenarios in the first place. Give them a bit of credit, they designed most of Cptr G in the first place, after all. - If a real problem occurred with play balance because of the rule, after the 25+ years of play between Gung Ho and its redesign as RS - I might also think that MMP would have revised or replaced the rule, or at least the scenarios, if it was really a balance issue throwing things out of whack for any game with late war 7-6-8s in it. Since they di not, I am prone to assume MMP did not see a major design flaw causing balance issues at all. So the rule remained.

KRL, Jon H
Jon, I think he was talking about his house variant of allowing the 7-6-8 to self deploy into (3) 2-4-8 HS instead of the Ch. G rule of (2) 3-4-8 HS. I could possibly see some balance issues allowing the extra HS deployment. The rule is fine as is and doesn't need to be tweaked. I personally don't like this house rule variant and believe it does make the 7-6-8 maybe a little too powerful..

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everyone seems to be forgetting that MMP said that Korea went to pre-order well before the usual time and that it would not be ready for awhile. To me, even 2018 is optimistic. I would venture more like 2019 at the earliest...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It is the old story, people...

It's there when it's there. We don't know when, but we know it will.
Just have patience.

von Marwitz

LHMG

Reaction score
Has there been any word on if or when they might republish some of the basic modules. Like for King and Country, Doomed Battalions, etc.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Has there been any word on if or when they might republish some of the basic modules. Like for King and Country, Doomed Battalions, etc.
I beleave the next module up for reprinting is Croix de Guerre. then Hollow Legions. I think it will be a while before King and Country and Doomed Battalions see reprint.
You could always ask here at GS if someone has one to sell/trade/ give away.
Dave

LHMG

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be much activity on their website in the last 6 months.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
considering KFKaC went out of print so recently, compared to HL and CdG - I would not expect it before both the others are complete. FKaC was the reprint for the WOA - with the DTO removed to go with the Italians in HL.

LHMG

Reaction score
It would be nice if they kept the core modules in print. It sounds like Armies of Oblivion might be back as it is only listed as temporarily out of stock rather than out of print, hopefully.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be nice if they kept the core modules in print. It sounds like Armies of Oblivion might be back as it is only listed as temporarily out of stock rather than out of print, hopefully.
I might believe that this statement is really "preaching to the choir". Certainly, most ASL players would like to see all the core modules on a store shelf all lined up , like in the bad old TAHGC days - but the excess of un-selling inventory is precisely what killed TAHGC in the first place.

MMP does a (in context) good job of keeping the core modules available. Those that are long out of print do receive bumps to the front of the line for re-release (hence Yanks 2, RS, FKaC before it - which is a re-release anyway). As an ASLr and one who teaches noobies from time to time about the game and how to play, I find it frustrating when MMP cannot even keep ASLRBv2 or BV in print, as both are the only REQUIRED items to begin playing ASL. Hard to bring new players in if they can't buy their own marbles.

To quote Mark Pitcavage, someone wanting a core module that is out of print, or the ASLRB during the times it is out of print, can "...do what he f#$^king did and buy it secondhand...." I don't agree with this statement, but it was made here on GS Forums last year, and does indicate another (albeit rude) viewpoint. There is a thriving secondhand / aftermarket. With enough effort, you can usually locate that which you seek at a fair / decent price ( BR:T AbtF, KGP notwithstanding, etc. HASLS do not typically see reprints.).

For myself, I'd likely rather prefer a copy of WoA over FKaC. You get more, the Brits and Cptr F of the rules. FKaC gives you only the Brits. But that is, really, IMO. Your mileage may vary.

:)

KRL, jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to Korea for a second - I wonder if there will be extreme winter rules revisions for the Chosin fighting in Nov 1950? The cold affected both sides - the Chinese volunteers suffered horrendous frostbite and deaths along the lines of the Ukraine and North Russia circa Dec- Jan 1941.

KRL, Jon H