Korea Question

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed that all four maps to be provided in this mod are not geomorphic at all. they only fit together in the one way shown in the "Sneak peek". Does that not limit players to some extent? Would it have been better to make that map feature on two double boards instead and include some standard size rough terrain geo boards? Was every battle fought in Korea fought on hills? Just wondering.
I will buy the game no matter what just because its a MMP ASL product and IT is always a great value, I was just wondering about the boards.

Thank you.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For a contiguous hill there are 2 combinations of boards (call them A,B,C,D).

The preview gives:
AB
CD

but also possible is
AC
BD

Of course you can have a long (lengthwise) valley with
CD
AB
or
BD
AC

Or a short valley
BA
DC
or
CA
DB

That's using the 4 boards, 6 combinations. That's not counting possibilities for 2 valleys to cross or a side valley joining a continuous edge to edge valley. The boards as well as being geomorphic on their 'outer' edges are internally geomorphic on their inner edges. The nett effect is that a diagonally opposite pair can be swapped while still keeping seamless internal linking of contours, etc.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed that all four maps to be provided in this mod are not geomorphic at all. they only fit together in the one way shown in the "Sneak peek". Does that not limit players to some extent? Would it have been better to make that map feature on two double boards instead and include some standard size rough terrain geo boards?
When I came onboard the Korea project to do the maps, the question of how to do the boards had already been settled. Double-wide boards were not unheard of, but the prevailing sentiment was that this quad-board style would be better. I agree - the idea with these Korean hills is that there's always more hills beyond. And even if you use a double-wide board, you only have 20 hexes to go from Level 0 on one edge up to Level whatever (5 on these boards, IIRC) and back down to Level 0 on the far side. (in the A-GG direction, it's 33 hexes). It's actually not as much room as you'd think. Certainly better than a standard-width board, of course, but not as reminiscent of Korea as one might like.

But with the "hill geomorphic" style, two edges of the 8x22" map can go in the "more hills beyond" direction (as opposed to just one edge with a double-wide board), and that gives you more options. Shrug.

Was every battle fought in Korea fought on hills? Just wondering.
Nope! But the non-hill actions should be able to use existing boards. It's just that the system didn't have Korean-style hill boards, so that's what will come with the module.

Tom

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was hoping for a beach landing board. In fact what would be cool is two beach landing boards. If there were two 8"x22" beach landing boards they could also be mated water to water for a much larger river crossing. I have always thought that was a missed opportunity. BTW - yes I realize that beach boards by their very nature would not be completely geomorphic.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
every board is a beach board with overlays. I've used beach boards with board 25, broken terrain to simulate a harbor above the arctic circle.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul, Tom, thanks! I guess I was thinking in two dimensions and did not see all the possibilities. Now I can see a monster setup of 6 boards. two of the new hill boards on each side flanking two smaller hill boards making a nice long valley. Or maybe... I have to stop now, too excited! Thanks everyone!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
every board is a beach board with overlays. I've used beach boards with board 25, broken terrain to simulate a harbor above the arctic circle.
Beach boards are for newbies and those being towed by wake boats. Real surfers use a stick... :cool:

now if it comes with a blonde overlay in say, 33D, 27, 34 - it's still a good beach board.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I saw that episode of BAYWATCH! Pam is still hot!

Last edited:

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WAY back when SL came out Boards 1-4 were messed up. They did not match up very good at all. So Avalon Hill put out thin paper overlays for the entire board set. Well nice gesture but that was not going to work. So I bought 4 of the new better fitting boards. I cut up most of the paper overlay "fixes" and used them to make overlays for the newer boards. I wonder if anyone else did this?
And no I don't like them either. If a scenario has more than 2 I'm out.

I'd like to know too! Give us a sign O Great Lords of the MMP World!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love overlays, and have little idea why so many people don't. Perhaps its having to play on the same four boards over and over again, but I don't particularly like playing on any board more than once. Overlays mean I don't have to, apart from some of the specialized boards.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, I don't much like overlays, but that's mostly because they are hard to place properly, and trouble to store safely. In VASL I have absolutely no problem with them (even though some don't fit perfectly).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Well, I don't much like overlays, but that's mostly because they are hard to place properly, and trouble to store safely.
For storage I use page protector notebook inserts of various sizes. For small ones I use ones designed for trading cards. For medium-sized ones I use protectors that are designed to hold CDs. For large ones I use full-page protectors. Although it might seem like the overlays might slip out, you have to hold them upside down and shake them pretty hard for there to be a chance of that.

I am also beginning to come round to the idea of color-copying the overlays and laminating the copies. Last night one of my fellow players ripped off a layer on one of his overlays even though it was laminated.

I am not sure what bothers you about positioning them. The overlays don't really need to align perfectly with the underlying map (although it would be nice). If you can tape them down "close enough", you can think of it as no worse than the variation of board printing over the years.

Trading card sized inserts:

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am not sure what bothers you about positioning them. The overlays don't really need to align perfectly with the underlying map (although it would be nice). If you can tape them down "close enough", you can think of it as no worse than the variation of board printing over the years.
Mostly, I like to be able to judge LOS by relying on the lattice of hexsides and vertices. With poorly aligned overlays, it doesn't work so well...

And thanks for the trading card protector advice - my overlay-cutting days predate the appearance of collectible card games, so I never thought of the hundreds of card protectors I still have in that role...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Mostly, I like to be able to judge LOS by relying on the lattice of hexsides and vertices. With poorly aligned overlays, it doesn't work so well...
One of the best features of the old boards is that you can blame mis-aligned hex center dots for bad shots. Overlays take you to the next level.

JR