konigsberg HASL

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
To anyone who can read French: there's an awesome AAR of a solo CG of the Konigsberg HASL on the French "cote1664" forum
right here

Clément's conclusion seems to be that it's way too tough on the Germans (mind you: he was playing solo, so the usual defender's tricks of HIP and fortifications didn't really matter).

I don't own the module myself, but the AAR itself is pretty entertaining.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
To anyone who can read French: there's an awesome AAR of a solo CG of the Konigsberg HASL on the French "cote1664" forum
right here

Clément's conclusion seems to be that it's way too tough on the Germans (mind you: he was playing solo, so the usual defender's tricks of HIP and fortifications didn't really matter).

yes, this one is one of the best AAR I ever read! But you have to read French.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I playtested all bar the CG , it is hard but I won as both sides in almost every scenario, you need to be a wily defender and set ups are crucial for the Germans and you need to use every trick in the book to win most of the time

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
I'm reading the rules for this now, looks interesting and the counters are very nice too, but my VASAL set up is in need of some work.
There is a small amount of errata for this one. The rule book says N44 is a road entering a building hex as an example B5.1, but N44 shows 2 railroads entering the building but the errata never addresses this specific hex, but I'm guessing this is why the errata mentioned only roads entering a building are considered factories?

Last edited:

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Rulebook says N47 is an Orchard hex (B2.1) but it contains railroad cars, tracks and debris. Y48, X49,X50 and W50 look more like out of season orchards to me (per the stated rules). Can someone verify this for me?
Thanks, Paul

Last edited:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok N47 is railroad and derailed wagons , as for the other 4 they are out of season orchard , also your previous question about N44 the answer to that is that it is railroad track nothing more but the tracks going into N43 and O42 are treated as factory with roads going in

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not sure what happened in his game but his Russians made excellent progress on CG date 1.
The Germans should buy most infantry in reserve on day 1 because it has to setup >6 hexes from Russian entry areas which is conveniently in the front line. Plus the OB given 80mm rocket OBA is likely going to release them anyway. The movement in this terrain is terrible and the German can plot exactly where Russian forces will be on any given turn. Pre-registered 280mm rockets or other artillery can stop an attack in its tracks. 120mm MTRs are really lethal, even to tanks.
My assessment is that German armor is almost useless in this CG. Buy infantry, OBA, guns and fortifications.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was one of the proofreaders on this module. With that said, I cannot recommend this module enough for the fun+immersion factor.
Played the CG solo and it was epic. Posted AAR's of each CG day on ASL Facebook group, if interested in searching (from around Feb.2020).

For the Germans, agree with what AdrianE said as far as RG purchases. My suggestions for Germans is to make sure you have a HMG Pillbox on at least two of the bridges, with fortifications, and plan on blowing up at least one bridge. Also plan to have a last stand strongpoint (large multi-story FB with cellars is ideal) south of the Pregel river, as this will make the Russsians have to clear it out before they can attempt to cross the river to the north bank. I allocated at least half of my DSP to fortifications near/on the bridges in my playing, YMMV. Dont bother defending Nasser Garten, it is a death trap for the Germans. DO set up fortifications around K52-L52 to seriously hamper the Russians moving on the western bridge. AT Ditch-Wire combo in these two hexes will work, as long as building N52 has defenders to cover these hexes with fire. Also check out hex I41 for an AT-Ditch/Wire combo.

One thing may try again is for the Germans to defend the "island" on east edge of map. Relied too much on Germans setting up south of the river to keep the Russians off the island and that failed. Think a token defence of at least the southern bridge may be better, or possibly demolish it when pulling back. Will have to test this out.

Russians need to buy infantry, arty, and ALL the flamethrowing tanks. The aerial bombardment was ok but found OBA and on board mortars more effective. The FT tanks are indispensable in clearing Germans out of buildings, but they will need lotta infantry support. Dont bother buying boats until Russians are ready to cross to the north bank (and when you do, detail max amount of infantry to manhandling them to the crossing site). If you do buy guns, pay to set em up on board, as towing/moving them thru the terrain will take them to long to get into position, unless dm 82 mortars, but they will need SMC help to move also. Last, remember Russian tanks do have some Smoke ; T34/85 may get off one smoke discharger round, while the 122L SPG has smoke rounds from its gun (the 152 does not). If need to get into a FB as a last resort, ram those tanks into the building to get your infantry inside! Good use for a T34 that has an X'ed FT.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My biggest complaint about this module and most LC modules are the scenarios are just way too tiny. One side has four squads and another side has 8 squads, just not my cup of joe. That is why I avoided buying Op Martlet, the scenarios were probably tiny micro jobs.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My biggest complaint about this module and most LC modules are the scenarios are just way too tiny. One side has four squads and another side has 8 squads, just not my cup of joe. That is why I avoided buying Op Martlet, the scenarios were probably tiny micro jobs.
Alas for you, both have very good scenarios that do press you to use a lot more of wily ways to win . But to each his own .

Last edited:

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
I was one of the proofreaders on this module. With that said, I cannot recommend this module enough for the fun+immersion factor.
Played the CG solo and it was epic. Posted AAR's of each CG day on ASL Facebook group, if interested in searching (from around Feb.2020).

For the Germans, agree with what AdrianE said as far as RG purchases. My suggestions for Germans is to make sure you have a HMG Pillbox on at least two of the bridges, with fortifications, and plan on blowing up at least one bridge. Also plan to have a last stand strongpoint (large multi-story FB with cellars is ideal) south of the Pregel river, as this will make the Russsians have to clear it out before they can attempt to cross the river to the north bank. I allocated at least half of my DSP to fortifications near/on the bridges in my playing, YMMV. Dont bother defending Nasser Garten, it is a death trap for the Germans. DO set up fortifications around K52-L52 to seriously hamper the Russians moving on the western bridge. AT Ditch-Wire combo in these two hexes will work, as long as building N52 has defenders to cover these hexes with fire. Also check out hex I41 for an AT-Ditch/Wire combo.

One thing may try again is for the Germans to defend the "island" on east edge of map. Relied too much on Germans setting up south of the river to keep the Russians off the island and that failed. Think a token defence of at least the southern bridge may be better, or possibly demolish it when pulling back. Will have to test this out.

Russians need to buy infantry, arty, and ALL the flamethrowing tanks. The aerial bombardment was ok but found OBA and on board mortars more effective. The FT tanks are indispensable in clearing Germans out of buildings, but they will need lotta infantry support. Dont bother buying boats until Russians are ready to cross to the north bank (and when you do, detail max amount of infantry to manhandling them to the crossing site). If you do buy guns, pay to set em up on board, as towing/moving them thru the terrain will take them to long to get into position, unless dm 82 mortars, but they will need SMC help to move also. Last, remember Russian tanks do have some Smoke ; T34/85 may get off one smoke discharger round, while the 122L SPG has smoke rounds from its gun (the 152 does not). If need to get into a FB as a last resort, ram those tanks into the building to get your infantry inside! Good use for a T34 that has an X'ed FT.
Did you say you placed Pillboxes on bridge hexes? Is there an exception to B30.1 in the Konigsburg rules?

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
right here

And for us, not so French proficient, look here:

/S