Kohima

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It was great to see Shaun again. I can fully understand how he lost his mojo with such a long project.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It was great to see Shaun again. I can fully understand how he lost his mojo with such a long project.
I chatted to him at Heroes in March. Its great to see someone back in the community after a long gap. Particularly when play testing of Kohima again is the result? I've volunteered to do some.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yeah but it was due to other things in life and work that he lost interest .

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recognize the map in that announcement. I pinged Shaun today, but I'm not sure about his current email address. Is it shaun dot carter 4 at ntlworld dot com?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I found this on google. Is it the Kohima map?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It has many of the features that Kohima does, but I swear the roads are wrong. The bright green rectangle near the top center should be the tennis courts, and the road to Imphal should go along the hill toward the south to the right of the tennis courts. It may be the image does not show them clearly.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has many of the features that Kohima does, but I swear the roads are wrong. The bright green rectangle near the top center should be the tennis courts, and the road to Imphal should go along the hill toward the south to the right of the tennis courts. It may be the image does not show them clearly.

JR
That I believe is Steve D in the red pullover....seems close to this...http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/ww2/burma/003.shtml

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's definitely Kohima, but it's a different version of the map than I've ever seen. Maybe it's CH's version?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That I believe is Steve D in the red pullover....seems close to this...http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/ww2/burma/003.shtml

In the picture being held up I don't see the road on the east side of the hill which I believe is the main highway, nor the road that extends off to the west (left) to Dimapur. On most maps I have seen the road that goes north-south to the west (left) of F.S.D. etc. is not shown and the main highway goes down the east (right) side of the hill. It is almost certainly Kohima, but I don't see those roads. This is more typical of maps I have seen:

The map he's holding may be accurate, but I can't see the roads I expect to be prominent. It also shows some roads to the west (left) of garrison hill et. al. but these are way, way down below the ridge on the map I show, and on the map being held up the road on the hill looks like it is the same elevation as the road that cuts through D.I.S. and Jail Hill.

I will acknowledge that I don't know whether the map I show is accurate nor whether it omits smaller roads. It's just the map being held up does not seem to show certain roads I thought were there and shows others that are unfamiliar to me.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's definitely Kohima, but it's a different version of the map than I've ever seen. Maybe it's CH's version?
Ya know what, I take it back. That actually may be a version I did many many moons ago, before the road got extended to the west and lots of other goodness got filled in. I don't quite recognize the colors, but maybe that's the printer.

Edit - or, I may not know what I'm talking about, and it's some other version out in the wild.

Tom

Last edited:

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The picture is from the two half squads podcast.

vfttpete

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Not sure either, but the map on the right is the most recent version of the Kohima map I have (from May 2014) and is the one I used in VFTT. I've reduced the map so you can compare them side by side (though reducing the size has made the gullies into those black lines).

You can also see some photos of a Kohima scenario playtest at HEROES in VFTT86 using a similar version of the same map.

Pete

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, Pete, that looks like the latest map. The latest big change was extending the road around the NW side of hill, then taking it off the west edge. There's also buildings on that NW corner.

There may likely be some more changes to the map as a result of this latest push. I'll use the opportunity to fix that neon green Brush color, cuz ? Beyond that, though, yeah, it's a nice map :)