Knowing your OBA Rules

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, my crazy opponent does not seem to understand OBA, even when pointed out to him in the actual rules, he feels when he announces an SR to FFE he does not have to draw the 2nd black chit, one to have an SR on a concealed unit and a 2nd draw to convert to FFE.

Second, even though he announces he will convert an SR to FFE and it land in or adjacent to concealed unit, he still has to make a chit draw to convert the SR to FFE (he does not have to make two chit draws since the SR ended up next to or ontop of a concealed unit)

Is my take on these rules correct?

Scott

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there is an enemy unit Known to the observer (per C1.6 concealed units in non-Concealment terrain and in LOS are usually Known for this rule) in or adjacent to the AR/SR/FFE location no extra chit draw is needed.

If there are no enemy units on board in or adjacent (HIP units don't count) to the AR/SR/FFE location no extra chit draw is needed.

If there are enemy units on board in or adjacent to the AR/SR/FFE and NONE of them are Known to the observer then an extra chit draw is needed.

So to answer your question I need to know, are the concealed units Known to the Observer per C1.6? Are there also unconcealed units in/adjacent to the SR/FFE?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
None of the concealed units are known to the observer (they are in debrie), no unconcealed units near the SR/AR FFE.

If there is an enemy unit Known to the observer (per C1.6 concealed units in non-Concealment terrain and in LOS are usually Known for this rule) in or adjacent to the AR/SR/FFE location no extra chit draw is needed.

If there are no enemy units on board in or adjacent (HIP units don't count) to the AR/SR/FFE location no extra chit draw is needed.

If there are enemy units on board in or adjacent to the AR/SR/FFE and NONE of them are Known to the observer then an extra chit draw is needed.

So to answer your question I need to know, are the concealed units Known to the Observer per C1.6? Are there also unconcealed units in/adjacent to the SR/FFE?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, two extra draws can be required in the same phase. The first when placing the AR to correct the SR, the second when converting the SR to an FFE:1.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But what if the SR lands adjacent to a concealed unit due to directional error? Can he still flip the SR to an FFE without the extra chit draw since he announced his intentions to convert to FFE?

buser333

Reaction score
But what if the SR lands adjacent to a concealed unit due to directional error? Can he still flip the SR to an FFE without the extra chit draw since he announced his intentions to convert to FFE?
I believe in this situation he only can convert it if his observer has LOS to the base level of that hex. Even still he would need to draw the extra chit if all adjacent units are unknown.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No, and in fact he has to try to convert it since he declared that earlier. But note also post #6.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys, I knew this and played by the above rules with other opponents, this guys thinking is if he announces FFE its a free ticket to hurting my defense without the obligatory consequences when dealing with units out of LOS, concealed and so on. Essentually, chit draws are mandatory unless there are know enemy units in/ adjacent to the SR/ AR/ FFE. The OBA rules are not hard, but trying to get some people to actually read those rules without assumptions is harder lol.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have always found the OBA flow chart to be quite helpful when used in conjunction with the written rules. It really helps to do the procedures in a step by step sequence.

Seth

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I have always found the OBA flow chart to be quite helpful when used in conjunction with the written rules. It really helps to do the procedures in a step by step sequence.

Seth
Conjunction schmunjunction. I barely ever read the rules, the flowchart answers 99% of OBA questions.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played the SR to FFE thing wrong for a little while after playing a Finn scenario.

An SSR in that one made me start doing the SR to FFE procedure incorrectly.

Thought for a while, once you declared the FFE after an SR the FFE would come done regardless of where it drifted to. Then realised you needed the LOS to the FFE hex or a unit adjacent to convert.

Come to think of it, it was probably before-OBA flowchart, BOBAFC.