Kinship for GS players?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree actually. Let's not be hasty.

For inspiration I will go and read some Tolkien now :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I started rereading The Hobbit on the weekend now that you mention it, since I was doing some related quests in the Misty Mountains in Goblin Town. I honestly don't know why Jackson wants to make this into two movies, it seems like you could cram it all into one perfectly comfortably...

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I honestly don't know why Jackson wants to make this into two movies, it seems like you could cram it all into one perfectly comfortably...
My fellow Ringers & I don't want a merely "comfortable" movie, :nada: we want blatant :hail: Extravagance :hurray: :bounce::joy::clap: for any LotR's movie!!! :love: That's why we voted for a Hobbit Trilogy with one movie :popc1: just to cover the gab between The Hobbit & LotR's.:horse::eek:gre:

Kinship: Agreed no rush & staying with a military theme is a good idea.
I think a Kin name should be a broad name not limited to a small location. A kin called the "Shire Pie Eaters" sounds cute but what will that have to do with the Kin when they are operating out of the south and knee-deep in Orcs outside Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith? The Shire will be just a distant memory by then & "Pie Eaters" will sound like a kids club.

Names- I'd prefer something with a little more dignity, power and meaning behind it.
We can go with base name / work off of them or / use Elvish & Westron translations of them:

1.Lords / Nobels / 'Hir

2. Guards / Sentinels / 'Tir or 'Tirith

3. Grognards / Warriors / 'Maethor or 'Daug

4. House (of...) / Dwelling (of...) / Nost...

5. Castle / Citadel / Ost or Minas or Barad

With various combination's of course.

1. Castle of Warriors / Citadel of Grognards / Ost'Maethor
2. Royal Grognards of / Royal Sentinel's of / Ar’Tirith (of)

"Westernesse" is the Westron (Language of men) name for the isle of Numenor. If you're playing a dwarf or Hobbit it has little or no connection to you.

{we could just go with Army Group A....} :laugh:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Kinship: Agreed no rush & staying with a military theme is a good idea. I think a Kin name should be a broad name not limited to a small location. A kin called the "Shire Pie Eaters" sounds cute but what will that have to do with the Kin when they are operating out of the south and knee-deep in Orcs outside Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith? The Shire will be just a distant memory by then & "Pie Eaters" will sound like a kids club.
Ahem. Swim Club. :mad: :p

Actually, totally agree with you on all these points.

Names- I'd prefer something with a little more dignity, power and meaning behind it. We can go with base name / work off of them or / use Elvish & Westron translations of them:

1.Lords / Nobels / 'Hir

2. Guards / Sentinels / 'Tir or 'Tirith

3. Grognards / Warriors / 'Maethor or 'Daug

4. House (of...) / Dwelling (of...) / Nost...

5. Castle / Citadel / Ost or Minas or Barad

With various combination's of course.

1. Castle of Warriors / Citadel of Grognards / Ost'Maethor
2. Royal Grognards of / Royal Sentinel's of / Ar’Tirith (of)

"Westernesse" is the Westron (Language of men) name for the isle of Numenor. If you're playing a dwarf or Hobbit it has little or no connection to you.

{we could just go with Army Group A....} :laugh:
Some good suggestions; the Elvish translations seem like something that would have gotten us beaten up in gym class - unless it is something that is obvious to others or has some special meaning to all of us, I'd as soon avoid it if for no other reason than the point of the kinship title is to announce to others a group identity. And others would be hard pressed to figure out what the heck we're trying to say to them. I expect any English title we come up with will be "in-joke" enough, without translating it into Klingon first.

Royal Grognards or Royal Sentinels (no need for an apostrophe) are interesting choices. Whose kingdom would they denote? Citadel of Grognards is interesting as well. Sometimes a "The" can add gravitas, i.e. "The Citadel of Grognards", which would imply there can be only one. :laugh: And, of course, we would be it.

The Gathering of Grognards has kind of a romantic sound to it while being less tied to a specific locality or military formation, though. I think I would put it forward as a serious suggestion.

The Gathering of Grognards

Or, "A" can substitute for "The" also.

Just more ideas to ponder.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd as soon avoid it if for no other reason than the point of the kinship title is to announce to others a group identity..
I understand the plain English idea that's why I mentioned it as an option! :)

(no need for an apostrophe)
Thanks teach, or should I say published author? :p

We could use more imput from players who might join us, where's Jaydub 7423?

Royal Grognards or Royal Sentinels are interesting choices. Whose kingdom would they denote?
Those were just off the top of my head examples. But that's the point, they could be of any place on the surface although "Royal" would imply Gondorian in nature at this moment in ME history.
"The Citadel of Grognards", which would imply there can be only one. :laugh: And, of course, we would be it.
Has some promise.

The Gathering of Grognards
Could be, could be, but maybe as "A Gathering of Grognards" in 4 font styles even! :D

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why don't we each come up with a list of 5-10 names that sound good and post them this weekend? We can whittle them down to just 5-10 & maybe post a poll (open 2 wks?) & vote on what we like best. Or just discuss it out.

After some thought using a "place" name would be ok.
Ex. "Grognards of Gondor."

From Wiki:
Grognard is French for "grumbler".[1] It is not necessarily pejorative and is sometimes used as a compliment. Historically it meant a soldier in Napoleon's army, particularly a member of the Old Guard.[2]
"Grognard" came to mean a veteran wargamer in the early 1970s.[3] It was first used by John Young, at that time an employee of SPI, and subsequently popularised by Strategy & Tactics magazine."

"Grognards" :nofear: are clearly who we are. :toast:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Gathering of Grognards" works for me.

"Grognards of Westernesse" is still much to my liking, even with guests that aren't descendants of Numenor. We are pro-immigration. Errr, we are the immigrants. Whatever.

"Rampaging Grognards" in honor of the Rampaging Bristilehide seems appropriate

"Grognard Council" or "Order of Grognards" (I don't like "Guild", reminds me too much of business nonsense)

"Grognards"

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just made a lovely mistake and resubbed for six months, so I would be glad to join. And when I say mistake, I chose a three month sub and then upgraded to get mirkwood, and didn't realize that I was choosing another three month sub. It's a mistake that I am not upset about making!

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Gathering of Grognards"

Simple & to the point but with some mystic behind it.

Hmmm- Sounds like a bunch of "Grog" drinking pirates getting together at a dark smokey pub on a lonely isle someplace!
Maybe we can be exiles from Umbar & be rebel Black Numenoreans! (Black Numenorians were from Numenor & against the Elves & Valar so "rebels themselves" so we'd be traitor-rebels? :)

FYI- Redwolf, you will need to send us a note when you decide to create the Kin so we can get on at the same time (you have to invite us into the Kinship) & we'll each create some "place-holder" characters to get the required "8" Kinship members for now. They can be deleted as we each select which character(s) to actually run.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will do. I am aware of the 8 character requirement. I have some honey-do stuff (outside the game) Saturday and go from there.

How do I message an account (as opposed to a character) in the game?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do I message an account (as opposed to a character) in the game?
Are you asking how to contact "ME" and not my individual characters in game?

You can't, you just send a note to the character & hope the player logs on as that character & checks his mail.

Having a separate Kinship page/forum is how most players contact each other out of game.

In game under the Kinship tab (when you have a kinship) there's a short space for "notes" this is usually where players list all their alt names so you can contact any or all of them. Or list their crafting skills

Ex.
Stonehead- (note): Alts= Stonefoot, Hairyfeet & Bubba
Stonehead- (note) Woodworker 5/3 Prospector 6/6 Cook 0/0
And thats more space than the game actually gives you.

It also lets you see which Kin-members are online at the time so knowing alt names helps. Some players use the same name- Stonehead/Stonefeet... or add a letter for each alt: StoneA StoneB StoneC (not to imaginative but you know right away who that player is.) Not me, each character is an individual.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Redwolf, post the name of one of your characters so we can message you, so that you can invite us back in turn.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had leave bagging weekend, didn't get anything else done. I'll send my character names over thanksgiving weekend and open the damn thing.

I liked my conversation in home depot when I bought 50 leave bags.
"oh, 50 bags worth of picking up leaves and you didn't start yet?"
"no, I just ran out of bags"

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had leave bagging weekend, didn't get anything else done. I'll send my character names over thanksgiving weekend and open the damn thing.

I liked my conversation in home depot when I bought 50 leave bags.
"oh, 50 bags worth of picking up leaves and you didn't start yet?"
"no, I just ran out of bags"
Where the hell do you live - Mirkwood? :crosseye:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where the hell do you live - Mirkwood? :crosseye:
It was a joke. I did run out but most of those 50 are for next year (I frequently end up with sold out bags, usually sold out due to me when I'm ready to do work).