King of the Monster Scenarios?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We played Gold Beach 20 years ago at Officefest here in Detroit. It was a blast. 16 players faced off. I don't remember who won, guess it doesn't matter.
As the years go by such details become trivial compared to the emotions and hazy memories of the event.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
PS He asked for our choices of best "King" scenario. Not the largest......

people throwing out the huge scenarios from that one pack...... have you played them or are you just throwing them out there?

Just wondering......

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last year I played LN 1-13 Saito's Farewell Order, from the first CH Leatherneck Pack.
4 boards, dense jungle, night.
OBA on board and off board.
50-ish USMC, guns and SW across numerous positions vs 100+ Japanese squads 20+ leaders DC, FT etc.
It took us about 20 hours on VASL over 12 sessions.

Loved it.
I dug out my copy of Leatherneck after reading this...I have to play this!

Last edited:

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Starting 2nd playing back-to-back of CtR17 Clearing the Badlands (Corrigedor) with Jay Dragonetti on VASL. Not the biggest of the big, but pretty huge. 52 Ami sqds vs. 52 Japanese sqds and 15 turns. Amis get both 350mm and 150mm NOBA and a pair of the most powerful ground attack planes in the game (B-25s). Complex and tough VCs for the AMis, but tons of firepower. Japanese get lots of fortifications and their own 150mm OBA.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
These early monsters were almost the precursor of campaign games.
The monster scenarios in the The General were definitely the precursors to the HASL CG. There were Squad Leader scenarios depicting the Red Barricades fighting as well as Primosole Bridge both of which later got the HASL treatment.

SL 1000 OPERATION MARSTON was designed by Rex Martin and published in The General Vol. 20, #2
SL 2000 OPERATION HUBERTUS was designed by Charlie Kibler and published in The General Vol 21 No. 4

I have to believe the Hubertus scenario was the inspiration for Red Barricades and a next logical step from a monster, to a CG.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
143791437714378 Compare to Red Barricades.

There is a special note on the card indicating use of Boards 20, 21, and 22. IIRC these were drafted for a SL module about the fighting in Warsaw which never came to pass. The maps were apparently available for separate purchase while the ASL rules were being drafted which may explain their presence on a SL scenario card. (I found a set at a hobby shop in Edmonton and bought them, having no idea they would eventually become part of the new ASL system - so they were definitely available before ASL).

Last edited:

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
I am currently playing ASL 74 Red Bloody Beach. It is not THAT huge, but pretty big. Fairly balanced. 10 turns, it has NOBA, FB's with bombs and Napalm, Caves, Pillboxes, 34 JPN MMC's, 26 Marine MMCs, LCs and Amphibians, FTs and DCs. And all JPN set up HIP.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starting 2nd playing back-to-back of CtR17 Clearing the Badlands (Corrigedor) with Jay Dragonetti on VASL. Not the biggest of the big, but pretty huge. 52 Ami sqds vs. 52 Japanese sqds and 15 turns. Amis get both 350mm and 150mm NOBA and a pair of the most powerful ground attack planes in the game (B-25s). Complex and tough VCs for the AMis, but tons of firepower. Japanese get lots of fortifications and their own 150mm OBA.
This is on my "to play someday list."

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I always thought it was your opponent who made it hard to win. Lol, just speaking from experience. ?
It is probably the case that in the hands of an experienced player the US side has the advantage. But not that many of us are experienced enough to play the US side correctly.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps it is because I playtested this a few times I love it so. The US take a slow approach with infantry doing a lot of land grabbing. Patience with all of that armor is also key, lest you lose a lot of tanks early. That King Tiger on the hill has to be kept under smoke (or pound it with HE) and make the Germans move his armor. With several of the vehicles out of gas you can make him run the risk of losing more mobility as he tries to counter your attack direction then look for flank shots. Bazooka teams need to get close enough to add to this pressure.
What makes it my favorite is that there is no mist--a rarity for the KGP series--and it uses the entire, beautiful map. And there are a LOT of counters to move around.
I don't dispute the ROAR stats but take those stats with a grain of salt--and maybe some lime in my tequila! The other favorite I have is Breakout from Borisov and most of us know what ROAR says about that as well.
I admit that my whole ASL philosophy may be different. I do not pick a scenario because of my chances of winning. I'll choose a scenario because of the potential for fun. I win every time--even when I lose--just playing this wonderful game is another great memory and that for me is always the reward.
If anyone is up for a monster at ASLOK 2021 feel free to let me know.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps it is because I playtested this a few times I love it so. The US take a slow approach with infantry doing a lot of land grabbing. Patience with all of that armor is also key, lest you lose a lot of tanks early. That King Tiger on the hill has to be kept under smoke (or pound it with HE) and make the Germans move his armor. With several of the vehicles out of gas you can make him run the risk of losing more mobility as he tries to counter your attack direction then look for flank shots. Bazooka teams need to get close enough to add to this pressure.
What makes it my favorite is that there is no mist--a rarity for the KGP series--and it uses the entire, beautiful map. And there are a LOT of counters to move around.
I don't dispute the ROAR stats but take those stats with a grain of salt--and maybe some lime in my tequila! The other favorite I have is Breakout from Borisov and most of us know what ROAR says about that as well.
I admit that my whole ASL philosophy may be different. I do not pick a scenario because of my chances of winning. I'll choose a scenario because of the potential for fun. I win every time--even when I lose--just playing this wonderful game is another great memory and that for me is always the reward.
If anyone is up for a monster at ASLOK 2021 feel free to let me know.
An excellent attitude!!!