Kickstarter campaign for custom counters

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome is hardly the word I would use for it. I like the idea of alternative countersets, but these counters are really bad. Bad artwork, bad fonts, bad layout. They are just plain you-ain't-got-no-alibi ugly, I am afraid. I wish he had gotten some feedback from the ASL world on the designs before he embarked upon the kickstarter.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree these counters do look down right ugly. Maybe the guy trying to sell the counters might want to talk to a professional military artist.

Scott

Awesome is hardly the word I would use for it. I like the idea of alternative countersets, but these counters are really bad. Bad artwork, bad fonts, bad layout. They are just plain you-ain't-got-no-alibi ugly, I am afraid. I wish he had gotten some feedback from the ASL world on the designs before he embarked upon the kickstarter.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Have to agree.

Took one look and my immediate reaction.....sh1te

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is he still planning to put the vehicle names on the back side of the counters? Even if they were otherwise beautiful, I wouldn't buy them for that reason alone.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish he had gotten some feedback from the ASL world on the designs before he embarked upon the kickstarter.
He's been posting samples here for the past few months, so I don't think that's a particularly accurate critique.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I respect the project. The logo is off putting - the font style of the "bg" looks completely out of place for a military game. That said, I wouldn't buy the counters mainly because i play ASL so minimally anyway.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone understand how Kickstarter works wrt pledges?

I see six backers listed in the summary, with a total of $1676 pledged. However, I only see three backers listed by pledge level.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are some ugly @ss counters.:kotz:

The name on the back of the vehicles alone is a deal breaker. As others have said, i'll pass..

Zenflash

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone understand how Kickstarter works wrt pledges?

I see six backers listed in the summary, with a total of $1676 pledged. However, I only see three backers listed by pledge level.
I see 6, 1@$1, 1@$75, 4@$400.

I can't see this hitting $60K in 30d. That is the equivalent of a $120 game hitting a P500 in 30d. Many reasons why I would stay away from this, not least of which the idea of clipping 40+ counter sheets. The aesthetic is not strong enough to warrant duplicating what I already have.

Robert

Zenflash

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
He's been posting samples here for the past few months, so I don't think that's a particularly accurate critique.
Perhaps more accurately "I wish he would have incorporated feedback." The 'bg' logo and vehicle name placement being two big ones, which should have been easy to fix.

Anyway the idea is good, but I think the execution could have been better.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
for those interested - here's the full artwork on the counters, many up close shots:

http://www.brokenground.biz/

and like noted, you've been seeing these for some time - anyone provide any feedback to Allen on these, or is it a "just now" thing to apply some?

:(

He has been asking for feedback non stop since he began this project.

KRL, Jon H

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
for those interested - here's the full artwork on the counters, many up close shots:

http://www.brokenground.biz/

and like noted, you've been seeing these for some time - anyone provide any feedback to Allen on these, or is it a "just now" thing to apply some?

:(

He has been asking for feedback non stop since he began this project.

KRL, Jon H

Yes, feedback has been given.
And as I recall the issue of the "BG" on the front was responded to
by a "it's going to be there, deal with it" response.
That's the designer's call. Which I'm in support of btw.
But, I don't like how it looks. So, I won't be supporting/purchasing
the counters.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I was afraid to give a negative criticism about that project - as some white knights usually spring up in defense of the "victim".
But I see that I am not alone to find the graphics ugly - having Scott and Mark agree is an outstanding occurence, BTW.
I would also be concerned that the colour shades don't match well with the existing ones.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'd think his target market would have to be new players who can't easily acquire the official counter sets. I just can't imagine replacing several thousand counters in my collection (that I've spent $$$ on) - to me, there's little value added. I agree with others who don't care the for logo or the AFV name on the back. Just my two cents.

tatumjonj

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of them are nice, some of them could use a touch up here and there. I'm somewhat reluctant to criticize somebody's hard work, especially when it concerns something as subjective as artwork.