KIA result on IFT that is also a Critical Hit

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
70mm OBA attacks a location containing two squads and a leader. The DR is a '2' for a critical hit...and which also happens to be a 1KIA.

What is the sequence to determine how the units are affected?

Thanks,

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Check for rubble if applicable. If rubble, everyone dies. Otherwise roll random selection for the critical hit. The unit or units selected for the CH will be on a different column, possibly with a different effects DRM, and will probably have a worse result than 1KIA. Once you have results for the various units (based on CH or not and effects DRM), those units that are affected by the same result roll for random selection for that particular result if applicable, i.e. if the final result is a K or KIA. So if two units end up with a 1KIA, random select between them to see who takes the KIA and who is just broken.

JR

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
70mm OBA attacks a location containing two squads and a leader. The DR is a '2' for a critical hit...and which also happens to be a 1KIA.

What is the sequence to determine how the units are affected?

Thanks,
Last line of C3.7: The effects of a HE FFE CH are resolved using the same Original 2 DR that caused it.

C3.71 accurately describes how to calculate these results.

What exactly is unclear in these rules that you require clarification of the sequence?

From your question, all we can do is deduce the TEM is zero. Is it?

You didn't specify the TEM, which is important. Also, you didn't specify if these units are moving into the OBA, but I guess not as that's usually a totally desperate move! :D

With TEM zero and none of them moving, all units randomly selected for Crit will suffer a final 2 DR on the 24 FP table, which is a 3KIA.

other units not CH will suffer a 1 KIA (final roll of 2 DR).

3KIA results are not mixed in with the 1KIA results, if that's your question. If only one unit is selected for a crit, that unit will die. Then you roll RS for the 1KIA and resolve on the non-crit units.

At best, one unit will remain in the hex, broken. The only good news is that this broken unit can't suffer ELR replacement.

Some kind of protective TEM >=+2 will spare casualties on the non-crit units, albeit with a good chance of failing MCs.

Also, if rubble is possible but not rolled, check for Flame too.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just to add to JR's bit (which is all right of course - as usual :) )

Just before the rubble DR make sure your opponent lets out a long Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! - it will make them feel better (NOT!!)

and at the end of the of working out all the horrible things that happen to the poor slobs that were in the hex BEFORE they got ""Crapped"" on from a great hight, don't forget to roll for a little toasty fire blazey thingy if the place the poor slobs were previously standing in has a prepensotory to be turned into said burny bits

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check for rubble if applicable. If rubble, everyone dies. Otherwise roll random selection for the critical hit. The unit or units selected for the CH will be on a different column, possibly with a different effects DRM, and will probably have a worse result than 1KIA. Once you have results for the various units (based on CH or not and effects DRM), those units that are affected by the same result roll for random selection for that particular result if applicable, i.e. if the final result is a K or KIA. So if two units end up with a 1KIA, random select between them to see who takes the KIA and who is just broken.

JR
Ok..so basically (forget the rubble/fire/TEM/moving/etc stuff...I get all that)...with an original KIA result that is also a critical hit then there could possibly be two different results. Each of which is then applied to the unit(s) that received it.

After all these years I have no idea why this seemed so difficult for a few minutes the other night...LOL

Thanks,

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
3KIA results are not mixed in with the 1KIA results, if that's your question. If only one unit is selected for a crit, that unit will die. Then you roll RS for the 1KIA and resolve on the non-crit units.
As mentioned in my response to JRV...this was what caused my brain cramp the other night...LOL