Kharkov 42

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fascinating! I'll have to read up on this battle...any bibliography recommendations?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I'll look for it on amazon.
Best wishes and Godspeed on your project.

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Really impressed with your work on this, Darrell - hope to hear more about it soon! Would love to see a map and try it on VASL. I'm still toying with some desert scenarios around Tobruk siege myself, but not sure of how much interest there might be in Australians beating up Italians unless the VC's are well nigh impossible to achieve. On the other hand, Australian infantry stopping the blitzkrieg attack by isolating the German tanks from their infantry might be a little more tempting for some...

FWIW, have been to a few other sites (Axis History Forum, etc) which dispute the idea that German paras were involved, claiming that both sides mistook supply drops for reinforcements. Are you confident on your ground that the Green Devils were present?

regards,

Matt

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"hope to hear more about it soon!" I'm getting dangerously close to having playtest packs ready to go. The one and only Mr. Repetti has lent his wizard-like mojo to the VASL map and it is ready. An unnamed co-conspirator is busy turning the giant marble blocks of my scenario layout into the Pieta. I'll be begging for PT'ers shortly.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really impressed with your work on this, Darrell - hope to hear more about it soon! Would love to see a map and try it on VASL. I'm still toying with some desert scenarios around Tobruk siege myself, but not sure of how much interest there might be in Australians beating up Italians unless the VC's are well nigh impossible to achieve. On the other hand, Australian infantry stopping the blitzkrieg attack by isolating the German tanks from their infantry might be a little more tempting for some...

FWIW, have been to a few other sites (Axis History Forum, etc) which dispute the idea that German paras were involved, claiming that both sides mistook supply drops for reinforcements. Are you confident on your ground that the Green Devils were present?

regards,

Matt
I would be interested in anything about Tobruk or Australians in North Africa. I think both subjects are woefully underrepresented.
My interest in this subject was re -ignited after reading 'Tobruk ' by Peter Fitzsimmons last year.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested in anything about Tobruk or Australians in North Africa. I think both subjects are woefully underrepresented.
My interest in this subject was re -ignited after reading 'Tobruk ' by Peter Fitzsimmons last year.
Seems like it would be a "bug hunt" in the desert....

Lots of wire, mines and fortifications (bunkers, trenches and foxholes).

The Germans and Italians would have to attack through prepared "kill zones". Maybe the PFZ counters from HP will come in handy?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Maybe the PFZ counters from HP will come in handy?
They could transform the woods prevalent in the desert to light woods or brush, you mean? :laugh:
[Warning: I havn't got HP yet, so I am bound to guessing about the PFZ rules.]

von Marwitz

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have HP either.

But Prepared Fire Zones (PFZ) to me are:

All large "cover" (objects that would give an enemy protection from small arms fire and MG fire) is either cleared or identified for indirect (Mortar or Artillery fire).

All routes into and through the PFZ are mined, wired or covered by direct fire or targeted by Indirect Fire.

All Concealment Terrain is covered by indirect fire or booby trapped, within small arms range or under observation for possible Indirect Fire.

All of the above info is from 25+ years of military service (5.5 years in Bavaria).

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wholly Smokes!!! I was unaware that this project was in the works. Is this THE Cousin Darrell from Iowa whose home floated away a few years back? (I shouldn't joke as those floods were devastating to communities) Also did Suicide Creek? My hat is off to you in any case.

Just wondering what Refit perimeter rule theme are you going to follow for this CG? Is it the point to point like RB and VotGs or is it the Strategic Location 2 hex zone of control method as seem in Operation Veritable and Pegasus Bridge? Is one better for crowed cities with buildings and another in more or less open areas? Just wondering.