Kharkov 42

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah the joys of the modern age...I have gotten my grubby little paws on some better maps that are going to require a significant rework of the HASL map. The basics of the topography are solid on the current map but the area was much more heavily wooded than I was initially thinking. Back to the design cave for revisions! Stay tuned.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Great minds...

Ternovaia, NE of Kharkov. Taken by the Germans in late April '42, surrounded by the Russians on 12 May 42 during their ill fated attempt to retake Kharkov. The Germans held out here until relieved by the 3rd Panzer on 17 May. Swirling Russian attacks, 300 German Fallschirm dropped into town to reinforce, lots of local attacks and counterattacks by both sides. General 1942 Ostfront mayhem.

Now all I need is a lottery win to focus on ASL design full time.
View attachment 42375
This I like very much, but there again Ost front is my favourite area of playing

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would really recommend that you not get too hung up on the details of if there is a bush or brush 10 yards from one another. The best CG's that get alot of play are usually the ones that keep it simple stupid. (KISS). The ones that keep it complicated will usually sit and gather dust on peoples bookcases.

Scott

Ah the joys of the modern age...I have gotten my grubby little paws on some better maps that are going to require a significant rework of the HASL map. The basics of the topography are solid on the current map but the area was much more heavily wooded than I was initially thinking. Back to the design cave for revisions! Stay tuned.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keeping this highly playable is a goal. That being said, l was way off regarding the basic nature of the terrain. Definitely worth the re - work for the correct type of terrain. It is the nature of the development process.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The girls have been helpful. Their initials are worked in throughout the artwork as well. Most of the background behind the woods are filled woth cursive L's (for Libby) and the art work in the brush are little tiny M's (for Maddy). Unfortunately, none of their brilliance will transfer to the VASL/production versions. :)

There will be a CG, possibly two. Stay tuned!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This is great! I hope it goes to MMP or BFP since CH will screw it up with those stupid flat panels that you have to cut, tape and glue together.

I love these open area HASL maps.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! I am having initial discussions with the Cabal/Elves to have this VASLized. Once that is accomplished, we'll get the PT train rolling in earnest.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I really hope this gets picked up my MMP, BFP or LFT. Otherwise your beautiful map work will be cut into bite size panels that will not get purchased by myself. Other then that I can't wait to see the final thing!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will this be a mini HASL? Could be a nice insert for a future Journal. Anyway, look forward to this one.

Scott

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty chunky for a Mini-HASL. That map is 4x the size of Suicide Creek and I'm looking at 10+ HASL scenarios and 10+ geo-board scenarios for associated actions.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
If its four times the size of Suicide Creek, then please don't let CH near it. It will be chopped up into 12 to 24 stupid flat panels...

So will this be more like a "Historical Study"? That will be cool.

rryeates

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Making any progress on this Darrell. Seems odd we have to meet here when we live 30 minutes apart, but that'ts what life has come to. Randy

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha! Some sad truth to that. I'm soloing some of the geo scenarios this weekend just to get them into rough shape.. Most weekends I'm free. I've assumed Chris is hogging your ASL time!

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking thereof, here is the solo geo scenario that I am pushing around for today.

Rough historical outline: 2. “WHAT A RELIEF” 12 May 1942 West of Peremoga, USSR (Prepared attack/defense(Russian attack) 39th Guards Rifle Regt. of the 13th Guards Rifle Division, 2 platoons 8th Guards Separate Sapper Bn. and 90th Tank Brigade assault prepared German positions on Hill 214.3 from weary 221th Inf. Regt (71st Inf. Div.) and relief forces of 513th Inf. Regt. of 294th Infantry Division. Source: Pg. 115/116 G/K.

Last edited: