KGS3 Reclamation: Skis

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Following the rules discussion on Skis and equipping SMC with them, I have a question on the intent in this scenario.

The scenario gives 3 Ski counters to the Germans, and KGS3.6 says that when the Germans have some Skis, the 4-6-8/2-4-8 are considered Ski Troops, and a number of Crews and SMC are also considered Ski Troops.

Is the intent that these crew/SMC get "free" Ski counters? Or does the German player, if he wants to give Skis to them (or if he wants to Deploy ski-users) have to allocate them from the 3 counters?

(From a pure reading of the rules, it is my understanding that equipping a HS, or Crew, or SMC, with Skis has the same "cost" as with a Squad: one Ski counter; this is in contrast with Horses or Motorcycles, which come in different sizes)

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
in this case you could have 1 crew and 1 leader. The formula in KGS3.6 is 1 for every 4 %-4-8/2-4-8 (FRU) so in this case there are three and the round up is to 1.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That's not at all the question, and by my reading of KGS3.6, it's actually 3 of each: there are only 3 Ski counters, but all 468/248 are considered Ski troops, and there are 11 squads-equivalent of them total

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules states in sentence 2 - when the scenario grants the Germans ski counters - in this case there are three ski counters. Just because a unit is ski-capable does not grant them skis. While they are capable there is a limited amount of skis available.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yes, but the very same rule states that all 468/248 are considered Ski Troops, and then that the number of Crews/Leaders that are given the Ski Troops status depends on the number of squad-equivalents of Ski Troops. I have a hard time imagining that the same expression "Ski Troops" means two different things in the very same rule.

But - again - that is not what my question was about. The question was whether the Crew(s) and Leader(s) granted "Ski Troop" status by this rule, also receive Skis with it. My guess is no (again, because I am reading "Ski Troop" as "ski-capable" and not as "equipped with Skis") but I wanted to check the intent of the specific KGS rule.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Reply from the designer:

"Answer: The crew/SMC do not get "free" Ski counters."

(Sorry, I mistakenly posted Andy's answer in the Rules & Errata discussion you also started.)