KGS Red Army Day CG I

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

A few days ago, Randy and I started CG I from KGS. I am playing the embattled Kampfgruppe Scherer trying to hold back the Russian hoards. For the Red Army's part, they are attacking from all sides but fortunately it is in a piecemeal fashion. The Russians in this CG are very hard pressed to accomplish their objectives and for the initial scenario the Russians have to control 10 more blocks than they control, I think they control two or three initially. The CG ended on turn 5 with me rolling a one on the game ending roll and the Russians only being able to gain 9 blocks, they were one building short of controlling a 10th block for a win.

My purchases for the initial CG day were one fighter bomber group, one Stuka group and a 100mm OBA. I think Randy purchased as much infantry as possible but with a very serious shortage of leaders, this can seriously handicap the Russian attack. This can be made much worse if his units deplete (more on this later). The Russians also get 6 free T-70's to support the Russian drive into the village but are limited to entering from the west side of the map. At start the Germans are suffering Ammo shortage level 2 and extreme winter condition, if not in a building, trench or pillbox, their B# is at 9, in a building the B# is a 10, so yes, the Germans ended up losing two HMG's, 5 MMG's, tow 81mm Mortars and other stuff, the Germans also suffered over a dozen reductions in quality due to numerous boxcars rolled, so that was painful too. But all in all, the Germans ended up losing 17 points total which included Infantry and one leader (an 8-0). The Russians ended up losing 39 CVP's which included one T-70, two leaders and lots of infantry. So a very brutal day for the Russians as far as infantry getting whacked, but for the Germans, the loss of equipment was also very painful.

As for our game in general, the Russian OBA really could not getting any traction, with only one fire mission being used, the Germans had the same problem in trying to get their arty going, but I think I did get one fire mission off before the red cards started to fill up the deck. So basically, Arty is very fickle in this CG. My Air support was just about a complete failure, my FB's could only stay on map for one turn (there is a table that tells you the duration of your air support) and to add insult to injury, one of my FB did a mistaken attack on my own guys. My Stukas on the other hand were able to stay for four turns but one stuka malfed its MG, so it had to drop its bomb and then fly off. I used my other two stukas to strafe the T-70's since all I need to do was get a 5 or less to effect them IE a 5 is a big STUN so it would recall those one man turreted AFV's. But as usual I failed to get any traction out of my air support, this was made much worse by the fact that I had rolled a one to end the game on turn 5 and I had two stukas with bombs I had not used. That my freinds is real bull shit right there.

Edit: I forgot to mention the axis of the main Russian attack, In an old issue of VftT, one player mentioned that the Russians might be better served attacking from the east rather than the west, it is a good plan if your opponent has never played this CG before and leaves his defense light east of the Lovet, but it can also be disastrous if your opponent is well prepared for any attack west of the Lovat river. I was prepared and my forces repelled the Russian attack towards the blocks west of the Lovat. I believe the Russians best course of actions is to maybe build up his forces west of the Lovet, maybe buy some fortifications, then perhaops on the 3rd or last day launch an attack on perhaps a much more weakened German defense. Still, like Red Barricades, both sides have plenty of options for both attack and defense opportunities I think.

Oh ya, did I mention I did not get squat from from my A7 Canisters RG? I rolled an 11 on the drop canister table, and guess what? My ELR is now 2 and my Ammo shortage level is at 3, thankfully during the refit phase my ELR did not drop to a 1 because I rolled low. Good times for the Germans indeed.

So we went through the refit phase and I have a few suggestions for LFT, for the luv of gawd, just put the rules from RB, VotG and PB into the gawd damn rule booklet, going between three different rules sets really sucked. Also on the ELR loss gain table, did the designer mean 3 RG's purchased? It is impossible for the Russians to purchase four RG's. A couple of things we did ignore, CG 17 makes no sense, so we threw it out. The depletion rolls are NA for the Russians, the the Germans are starting out with almost 90 squads where as the Russians with out depletion will have 46 squads with an additional three companies which can total maybe 30 odd squads more, so we figured that the the Russians might need some help in trying to deal with the lack of numbers, what is worse is that the Russian leadership is horrible, so trying get conscripts moving can be daunting.

So with those slight niggling complaints, we are still very impressed by KGS and with our little modifications, the CG is one hell of a great experience. Sure the chrome is slightly high but it is not as bad when you actually read through the rules and it actually comes together in a logical way. Anyway, hopefully others will give this fantastic CG a go, it is very different, very unique and very fun.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Randy and I completed 3 turns of day two of our Red Army CG. Next we meet, which will be a couple of weeks from now, we will be starting Russian turn 4. Things are not looking good for the Germans as both casualties and SW losses are mounting. My plan initially was to leave a light rear guard east of the Lovat and north of the Policemans gully and put a strong force west of the Lovat to both cover sector G and repel and counter attack to try and keep the Russians in that area at bay. I also had set up fairly strong south of the Policemans Gully and in a purely defensive status. But the biggest problem I am having is that my SW are all B#9's when in cover and 8's outside cover, so any shots I take will more than likely result in either melfing or permanent destruction. Any time my squads fire and I roll an 11 or better they reduce in quality. So the battle is starting to swing in the Russians direction as my forces are starting to crumble from lack of supplies.

My purchases for the 2nd day were a glider landing group, 2 Canister drops and one 100MM OBA, we both did not purchase weather reports since the RG's as is are expensive both the Russians and Germans. But bad things happen and the Russians rolled Overcast, so if it starts to snow, I will lose my glider RG. This will be a very costly 6 points. I think Randy purchased two more infantry companies and he did for sure get an OBA module, since he has been hitting my lads with his OBA for the last few turns.

As for our game, the highlights are as follows, the German OBA has been worthless as I try to noodle out the Russians from a stone building on the gliders field. I keep losing SW from low B#'s. In one instance, I had two 468's with LMG's a 9-1 leader in a stone building, The Russians open up with a 6 factor HMG and 9-1 leader, I laugh at that, 6 +2's seriously? After a rate tear and the Russians rolling super low, I had a 1/2 squad left in that building. At the aouth east corner of the map, the Russians drive their T-70's forward and park them two hexes away from my HIP 37L ATG, I keep a poker face and once my turn comes around, I open up...........and melf my gun. But, on my turn I roll a one to repair my gun and roll low enough to shock one T-70 and destroy the other, thus leaving one T-70 left in good order. And my gun did not melf this time around.

All in all, great CG but the losses from Ammo shortage and extreme winter are starting to become disheartening as my shortage SW's and good troops are evaporating before my eyes. I am starting to realize that if I was to play the Germans again in this one, they need to buy on the first day an additional Canister drop at 3 points and the glider landing infantry at 6 points, The Germans get a total of 9CPP for the initial CG. This way with two Canister drops and barring horrible luck, they can avoid both a loss in ELR and Ammo Level drop. Getting the glider troops should also be priority since initially, the Russians wont be able to stop the gliders from landing and the day is clear. Ya its going to suck not have OBA or air support but getting extra supplies and troops I think will help the Germans in the long run.

Here is a pic of what is happening on day two of our CG below.

Scottred army day cg rus turn 4.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Randy and I complete day 2 of our KGS Red Army CG with our game once more ending on turn 5. The turn 5 ending in both of our completed games has really been devastating to the Russians and a boon for the Germans. This is especially true in the south east corner where The Russian Sniper single handed, took out two leaders, and three or four squads and thus left the possibility for the Russian Infantry to rush forward by turn 5, but the game ending on a one dr saved the KGS's bacon lol. Oh and there was much whining on my part lol. In addition, the early game ending really puts the pressure on the Russians to take try and take as many blocks as possible this next CG day. To win the Russians need to take 30 blocks for the over all CG, on day 2 they have accumulated around 15 blocks, so the Russians will need to take around 15 more blocks within the next two days to win. Trying to go for the blocks on the western side of the Lovat is really not doable, too little forces to field for such an attack, lots of open ground to traverse and the added problem that the Russians can only purchase one quadrant type RG IE if there purchase's for the yellow quadrant are very limited, so it is best just to spend the limited resources the Russians have available on RG for the eastern quadrants.

So leaving off of my last post, which detailed the first 3 turns of day 2, I'll continue in that vain with turns 4 and 5. On turn 4 I got lucky and rolled a 9 for wind change, if I had rolled a 10, I would have lost my glider RG due to falling snow. My suggestion is to buy the glider troop RG on day one, that way you will not have to worry about weather possibly eliminating your RG. As an aside, even though these are JU-52's, they will use the glider rules with only a few slight mods from KGS, nothing to really strain the brain. You pick your ILH, do your 10 (5 hexes in normal rules) hex avenue of approach with the last 6 hexes racking up and drm's for the crash landing dr IE if the last 6 hexes are clear you get a -6 to to the dr which mean auto land but you still have to roll for possible sniper activation. Wrecks, shell holes, landing outside of of the G sector resaults in a +3 crash drm, so make sure your ILH's are well within the G sector. Also note to make sure you clear away in any russians in the G sector area, that is what I did to my Russian opponent in our game.

As for the rest of the last few turns, the Russians took control of all the blocks north of the Policemans gully, the Russians continued to push the Germans back towards the Lovat from the east but due to deep snow and low quality troops, it is a real slog for them. By turn 5 things were looking desperat for the Germans east of the Lovat, on one hand I had a chance to crush the Russians west of the Lovat if the game went beyond 5 turns, on the other hand, if the game went beyond 5 turns in the east, I would be in real trouble. Thankfully the dice decided my fate lol.

Total losses for the Russians were 27 CVP's in Infantry and 10 CVP's in armor, for the Germans, total losses were 40CVP's. Many of those CVP's came from over a dozen MC boxcars, the dice bot was hating on me for a few days. The refit phase I did receive both of my cannisters with a total of 70 ammo points and 80 supply points and after the consumption dr, I was able to bank 30 ammo points and 40 supply points, thus my ELR and Ammo shortage level remained the same IE at level 3, which still sucks, but if I can get two more cannisters to land properly next CG day, I should hopefully be able to get to level 2 Ammo level. The CCP's awarded to the Germans were 17 and the Russians got 14 CVP's. Both of our ELR's remained the same, the Russians at 4, the Germans at 2. My purchases for day 3 are as follows: 2 Cannister RG's (6pts), 100mm OBA (3pts), Ad Hoc Infantry full (5 pts), Stuka RG (2 pts) and a weather report (1pt). I baught the Weather report because if it the Russians rolled Overcast I can then roll to see when it does become overcast. A nice bit of very useful chrome lol.

In general, as the German player, you will really need a Personal Moral of 10 because when you see your SW and troops melting away is can become daunting to push on. But what makes this CG alot of fun are those very problems the Germans have to contend with. The addition of OBA and air support should help the German players personal Moral and also dealing with low quality Russians troops does help too. If you have 120 bucks laying around, than buy this CG, it is an excellent CG, probably up there with RB. Dont let the supply situation or other chrome like things scare you off, it is not that tough and believe me, I aint the brightest light bulb around either and I am still able to grok this stuff most of the time. Below is the start of our day 3 CG.

Scottred army day cg DAY 3 copy.jpg

Last edited:

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has been a joy to read your AAR's lately. Entertaining, depth and lots of pictures! Last part is probably the best part... ;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
..... If you have 120 bucks laying around, than buy this CG, it is an excellent CG, probably up there with RB. Dont let the supply situation or other chrome like things scare you off, it is not that tough ....

Scott
For any one wishing to take up Scott's advice, I have a few copies of my personal allotment (I am the designer) left from the last print run for sale at $100 including s/h (CONUS only). The boxes to these copies are a little squished (these boxes are not like conventional ASL boxes, but softer style like STN if you are familiar with that form). However, all contexts IN the box are fine. If interested PM me.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the comments, I think I have my east/ west comments mixed up in these ARR's. Randy I will probably finish up day 3 next week once he gets back from being on the road for his work stuff. I am really surprised no one took you up on your offer at ASLOK for reduced priced KGS modules. And I think it is not going to get reprinted for some time too.

Scott

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... I am really surprised no one took you up on your offer at ASLOK for reduced priced KGS modules. And I think it is not going to get reprinted for some time too.

Scott
I sold one at ASLOK. I too am surprised no other takers there. But I did not have them laying out, there was only limited space. Plus Ritter and Blanton had their stalls in better places (in that entry zone area). Anyways will see what happens here. There is always WO.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

With the Forum being down of late, I was not able to convey my latest play of KGS Red Army Day CG. So having that it has been 2 weeks since the CG ended I will give you guys the cliff notes version of events. Randy and I did finish our playing of the Red Army CG with his Russians gaining victory on turn 4 of the last CG day. I think if I had made the proper choices in purchases on day 1, The CG may have gone the other way. But I did not and ended up losing more then the usual amount of SW to Ammo shortage as well as squads getting reduced from the same.

My best advise for I think a successful German defense is to purchase as much Supply canisters as possible, this is very important as far as relieving the levels of ammo shortage the Germans suffer under. Also, purchase the glider troop group on the first day also since it is a clear day. Granted you will not have Artillery to stave off the Russian advances, but with deep snow in effect, the Russians wont get any major breakthroughs on the initial day. The Germans will need to really keep firing their SW at a bare minimum and in buildings (extreme winter penalties are more forgiving). Remember this is not festung budapest where your units will constantly get hammered, with Air Support and Arty, the German can return any hammering they receive from the russians. If you keep your ammo and supply levels up, you should give the Russians a run for their rubles.

I have really enjoyed this campaign, the only major chrome that concerns this campaign is Ammo and Supply, everything else is pretty straight forward. So if you have this CG sitting on the shelf gather dust, reach for it and play it. It is one of the few CG's out there that has great replay value and is actually fun for bothsides to play.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I have really enjoyed this campaign, the only major chrome that concerns this campaign is Ammo and Supply, everything else is pretty straight forward. So if you have this CG sitting on the shelf gather dust, reach for it and play it. It is one of the few CG's out there that has great replay value and is actually fun for bothsides to play.
Glad you and your buddy liked it, and thanks for recommending others give it a go too.