KGP "Panters in the Mist"

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This is an AAR I had on my website, but since the Forum provide a central AAR Station, I figured it should go here.
Klaus
Panthers in the Mist
The first PBEM posted here was "Panthers in the Mist" against Neil Clark.
In Aug 1996 we were well within US Turn 2 and Neil lost a M3ht (flaming), a M4 (flaming) and a M5A1 (plus one with a malf. MA), while I lost a SS HS and another one (my MTR spotter) is DM due to a WP shot from one of his BAZ.

Neil is aproaching cautiously and uses the Mist and WP to his full advantage - which is understandable since most of my forces are still HIP and he knows that there are two PANTHERS lurking somewhere :)

07. Aug

Neil moved his remaining forces forward!
First he moved two sperate squads adjacent to my 658 DD/LMG in PP30 - which fired at Point Blank and retained ROF, breaking both. But since the 658 was busy and couldn't check for PF he was able to sneak a M5A1 and a M4 (passing ESB) past up into the woods (MM27, MM28). Neil also moved his two remaining M4s from offboard to PP24 and QQ24 (passing another ESB to move the M5 wreck off the road).
The German ensuing DFPh showed the LMG firing its last ROF shot at PBR at the 667/BAZ in PP29 scoring a CR. And now, much to the US mishap, a Panther revealed itself in the KK26 woodsroad killing the M5A1 on a 10TH +2(J) +1(P) +1(R) in the MM27 road hex. Successfully blocking the road in front of the Sherman Stay tuned :)
AFPh
Despite my Panther, Neil advanced a 8-1 and a 546/BAZ into MM27! Besides the general advances, he advanced a 666/BAZ from QQ30 into CC with my 658/LMG in PP30.
CCPh
As anticipated Neil won the CC, killing a precious 658 :-( Ouch!
German Turn 3
My broken MTR spotter, couldn't self rally, so I'll have to move a leader to assist. My reenforcements won't arrive this turn either :-( But my PzVG fired again :) This time whacking away at the American 8-1, 546, BAZ stack. First I blast all my MGs with 10FP +2, but score only a PTC. So the Panther fires its MA, scores a hit, as well as a 3MC! But that 8-1 shruggs it off, just being pinned 8-o whereas the 546 breaks. Since the Panther kept its ROF I fire again, score a hit, but this time score only a 2MC.
His 8-1 breaks and I'm sure his 546 will CR, but no, he rolls a 2,1 and passes :-(
I better end my PFPh

DFPh
Well, Neils DF finall broke my 9-2, 658 and their HMG in the foxhole, despite of their concealment :-( I guess that takes care of moving the leader back to my broken HS.
RtPh
I had to leave the precious HMG behind (4PP), but since I only routed one hex, he won't be able to get it easily.
US Turn 4 RPh
Neil repaired the M5's MA. But I was able to get my 9-2, the DMed 658 *and* the HS back up :) :-D
No Prep Fires
MPh
Neils Forces move forward, and we will see a hot contest for my Panther in KK26. But first one of his 2-3-6 Assault moves into NN21, a 6-6-7 with Bazooka moves from PP30 to NN27. The M5A1 with the repaired MA starts up in PP27 and is able to slip past my frontline into the other road ond stops his movement in MM21. And now his 2-3-6 that discovered the Roadblock in NN30 moves to LL26, adjacent to my Pz VG!
Since I want to conserve my Panthers firepower, I reveal my Mortar Crew in MM26, which opens with Point Blank Fire, but they roll a 11. So the Panthers BMG lashes out with a solid 6FP which scores a 1MC that breaks the HS. Now his stack in LL27 begins its assault at the tank and first another 2-3-6 AM to KK27 and the CMG fires, scoring a NMC, which only Pins the HS. The rest of the stack (a 8-0, 5-5-6 and BAZ) try to cross the road at KK28, where the 75LL Gun catches 'em.
First shot retains ROF and scores a 3MC :) But the 8-0 passes and the 5-5-6 is only pinned - unbelievable! Since the two spend two MF to enter I use another ROF shot and score another 3MC, which results in a broken 8-0 and a ELRed squad, phew, no more ROF, no MGs left to fire, that was close.
But Neils won't stop, now a 9-1, 3-4-7 with BAZ and a 6-6-6 with HMG move from QQ29 to MM26. Plus his M4 starts and pushes the wreck out of the way - but this time he didn't pass the ESB and is immobilized in LL26 - right in front of the Panther! Another 8-0, 5-4-6 with BAZ (where do they all come from?) moves from PP25 and slips through my thin lines to LL22, where it discovers a Trench in JJ22. His Sherman in SS21 gives up his overwatch position and moves down to the ford in OO21.
Finally the 9-1, 666/HMG, 666/MMG stack moves from QQ24 towards MM21. But a 658 hidden in OO23 opens fire at Point Blank range. The 9-1 passed its 2MC with a Pin result, but the 666 with the .50cal ELRs to 546 and the other 666 breaks. A perfect ambush :)
Neil resigns. For the Defender a real nice game, but I think I wouldn't like to enter a mapboard with 658's and two Panthers hidden somewhere....
Thank you for a real nice match
07. Oct. 1996