KGP I refit question

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Am engaged in rather bloody fight for Stoumont at the moment and am looking for a bit of a clarification on the refit phase. :crosseye:

If one were to find that ones tank had strayed a bit ahead of the rest of the lads, and come the refit phase this tank was in an enemy controlled but unoccupied "Set-up Area", would said adventuresome tank need to roll for 'escape' or may he simply 'shift'?

That being said, is an enemy unoccupied set-up area regarded as 'uncontrolled territory' or 'no man's land' until a unit 'shifts' into it during the refit phase? Or, is it simply an unoccupied 'set-up area' with all the restrictions of an occupied 'set-up area'.

The above mentioned tank is in V15 while V14 is US controlled but there are no US troops within this set-up area. The nearest occupied German set-up area is based on U18. Can this tank be moved back to the U18 set-up area as per the chart in KGP 8.6056?

Does it use "In enemy Set-up Area" - "must attempt escape"?

Does it use "In uncontrolled territory" - "is retained into the nearest friendly - Set-up area/Eligible Entry Area" " or "must attempt escape" ? :confused:

Thanks, awfully much, for your responses.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
I would like to tackle this (though it has been awhile since I played a KGP CG).

For a location to be Uncontrolled Territory, it must be greater than two hexes away from all Controlled Strategic-Location hexes. Since V14 is American Controlled, it cannot be Uncontrolled Territory.

For a location to be No Man’s Land it must meet some requirements (P8.6051):

1) It must be a non-Strategic Location.
2) It must be within two hexes of both friendly and enemy controlled Strategic Locations.
3) A No Man’s Land hex can never be part of a Setup Area.

Therefore, to be a No Man's Land hex, T16 would have to be German Controlled.

So, to answer your second question first, hex V15 is either an American Setup Location or it is No Man's Land depending upon who controls strategic Location T16. My guess is that it is American controlled, since it would have started in the Initial American Setup Area. This also assumes that there are no entrenchments and/or Immobile vehicles within two hexes of V15.

Therefore, the AFV must Escape (if Mobile).

The pertinent DRMs would be:

-2 CT AFV (or -1 if OT)
-1 if German Controlled T16.
+x Armor Leader
+y Stun DRM (if applicable)
+1 enemy Setup Area if T16 is American Controlled

So, we really have to know the status of T16.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
T16 is US Controlled. So,... that being so and the tank being mobile, me thinks it needs to escape. We thought as much, as well.

The modifiers are, and correct me if I am wrong:

-2 CT AFV,
+1 If in enemy Setup Area,
+2 If isolated (but I do not think that this tank meets the criteria for Isolation). :hmmm:

If not isolated then the final modifier would be a -1.

Final question,...would an original escape DR of 12, regardless of modifiers, still result in elimination with no crew survival. :argh:

Thanks for your in put.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
The DRM for Escape would be

-2 CT AFV
+1 enemy Setup Area if T16 is American Controlled

For a total DRM of -1. An Original Escape DR of 12 would result in a Final DR of 11 -- Vehicle Abandoned; crew Eliminated. I can only find a special case for an Original 2 DR and not one for an Original 12 DR.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
So what did you roll?

After all that we just have to know what you rolled. :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Alas,....no, original DR was a 12 so I suppose I will have a perfectly good Mk V sitting on the road at the start of the next CG date. Not to worry, I have two Mk IVHs that are 'sans canon' that I could abandon and re-crew the Panther. :D

Sad thing is my combat casualties amounted to only a 251/1, two Mk IVs and a Mk V. The refit phase cost me two more 251/1s (abandoned) and the Mk V in question (add in a wounded SMC and a HS), so my losses effectively doubled. I'll make the effort to recover or destroy the abandoned vehicles. :(

I'll get some info from my opponent and post an AAR for 19AM. If response is favourable , I will post the other CG dates as well.

Cheers