KGP HASL's re-printed?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Not enough hype for Budapest really. Wanting to try it. I don’t really know what else I’ll use all those wacky units for.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
At least there is a ton of them to not be grabbed by.😉
I can't offer an informed opinion as to the rankings of HASLs as only did RB and KGP.

We could have played RB CG almost exclusively. Fish thought it was the greatest thing ever.

KGP was a different matter. We played it but never got into it at anywhere near the intensity of RB.

If it was playing in that general area I much preferred the scenarios set four years earlier. One of the reasons why COD is one of my favorite modules, of SL and ASL both. Great stuff!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🤗🤗🤗

Btw Fish playtested COD as part of Mac's Youngstown playtest group. The first scenario I have us recorded as playing is Counterstroke At Stonne. What a jick! I'm not saying that is why he won the first fourteen scenarios we played but wtf. 🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🥰

Mac was Most Valuable Playtester for Cross Of Iron. There are reasons that I consider myself a very, very lucky guy in SL/ASL.

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
It doesn’t have to be the intensest to be good. I’m interested in playing it actually more because you have to deal with terrain and all that. Also slopes which honestly make more sense than plateau land.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
IIRC, the common opinion is that in both KGP I and II, the slopes are the last straw.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I understand that in both KGP and the actual battle, the enemy was in a great part the terrain. That's cool. But the final outcome has to be great gameplay and a sense of changing the outcome of the war if succesful in the campaign game. I'd say repackage the original KGP1&2 together and look at adding some sort of chrome (maybe involving Patton??). I don't know. But of course I'd buy it at twice the price.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Ugh, German supermen groping about in the fog against crappy ASL Americans, plus slopes. Hard Pass. KGP is probably the one MMP product they could add SASL content to and I STILL wouldn't buy.

Slopes aren't a deal-breaker for me on their own but I don't like them. Overcomplicated for what they add, non-intuitive and infrequent enough that you never commit the rules for them to memory but just frequent enough that you can't ignore or avoid them entirely. Slopes are the pebble-in-your-shoe of ASL.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Doesn’t Crucible of Steel also involve a lot of slopes? I don’t know how the slopes in KGP work but I know that most of the time the difficulty in a rule is often overstated. OBA isn’t hard at all with the flowchart. Overrun is only hard because it has its own modifiers you have to use, so that one I do have to reread often.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slopes for the most part are pretty easy, it is when mixing them with like hillocks can get a bit wonky. As for reprinting KGP, I prefer MMP come up with newer and better stuff instead. KGP was boring and a real pain in the ass to play. The mist, the terrain, the EC's and the traffic jams just were very unfun. But hey, talk to your buddy Ray at CH, he might reprint it like he is with the RB map (why I do not know) and charge you a ton of money for just a map and scenarios.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I am in favor of reprinting counters in correct color with Runez but that doesn’t mean I want superfluous critical hit counters.
The Ardennes battle is going to be painous no matter how they set it up and I don’t want all HASLs to be urban (just most)

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[Re the glyphs, it's a certitude that Hasbro would disalllow them.

And why produce goods which would be illegal to sell in Germany? It'd be financial idiocy.

If it's something some gotta have, produce it themselves or buy 3rd party.

The chronic request of MMP is a tiresome whinge.]

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I never understood the need some people have to grandstand. It’s good for scalpers selling Runez and Skullz but not for publishers. And that’s really the difference in the two types of men: problem solvers and problem inventors.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I might have agreed with you, but when I saw neo nazis in Charlottesville carrying around SS tactical symbols, I knew I had to stop encouraging the use of Black SS counters, runes and so on.

I never understood the need some people have to grandstand. It’s good for scalpers selling Runez and Skullz but not for publishers. And that’s really the difference in the two types of men: problem solvers and problem inventors.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
How the turn tables. Well I still like you, even if you think it is relevant to the game. War is the natural state of mankind and we are little better than wild beasts on our own.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate you reinforcing the point that I made, but it’s unnecessary. Very few people in the world have the right to rebuke others. The unnatural lack of violence and struggle is why society has become so judgmental. They don’t know what they’re asking for.