KGP HASL's re-printed?

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could this be re-worked to include more scenarios? KG Pieper is the iconic action of the Bulge.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Could this be re-worked to include more scenarios? KG Pieper is the iconic action of the Bulge.
<shrug> Mayhaps.

My problems with KGP is the profound disappointment with the Germans. Lotsa toys, burly troops (even the lilac SS), and the mist/mud really keeps you from getting done what you feel should be able to be done.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Let’s make it happen.

Also a good way to get blyack counters back out there. Runez or Skullz, either is good.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it was a package of KGP I &II was there ever any geoboard of scenarios of the 1st SS Panzer Division during the Bulge?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I haven’t played them although it isn’t easy to find an opponent who will play night. I’m down with night. It’s just hard to see things that are a core part of a game be left away.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KG Pieper is the iconic action of the Bulge.
[Perhaps from a German POV but No, Bastogne was, IMO.]
In essence, it boils down to who among us (active or non-active) is willing to go through all the KGP material
and update to current standard AND take it to MMP for consideration.
This is likely the only way. Hand MMP a nearly-done deal and they might then take the risk to produce it.

Lobby them to do the work in-house and you'll likely wait a Very Long Time for that to float to the top of their WantToDo list.

Meanwhile, there's little visible financial incentive for them to do that. Of 12x ASL Historical Modules rated on BGG, KGP I & II are in a tie for last place.

Rating Module (module number):
9.2 RF (10)
8.9 FB (8)
8.8 HiF (9)
8.8 VotG (7)
8.7 RB (1)
8.2 PB (4)
8.2 ABtF (6)
8.2 BRT (5)
8.2 OV (HS2)
8.1 OWT (HS1)
7.9 KGP I (2)
7.9 KGP II (3)

[ This date 20221211 BGG has not yet published a rating for S&F (11) ]

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I don’t think there is a single one part of the campaign that is the culminating point like Prokhorovka was at Kursk, but I accept this as being as good as anything. It’s got all the drama of the greater campaign: Germany’s best weapons and best troops left push for a decisive crossroads. American army comes of age and overcomes a foe that had formerly been the best in the world, and added to it is the revenge for the massacres. I’ll get it and play it a lot just to have that epic confrontation. Whether it’s decisive battle is probably overstated in land battle.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Wayne the 6th Panzer Army was the main thrust that’s why Hitler put the 1st SS Panzer Corps there.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sadly I don't think that even if 6th Panzer and also 5th Panzer had achieved their objectives the outcome would be any different. It was a wasted offensive. There was no reserve force to throw in and break the western allies completely. There was no hope to overcome western air-power, both logistical and combat, and the USA was building three liberty ships every two days. The western allies were paused anyway and would have overcome any expanded (and exhausted) German perimeter with ease once they recovered their lines. How then to make the "epic battle"? The German generals had convinced themselves this was the last chance to end the war with something less than complete destruction. I think the German campaign needs more cow bell, more potential for "heroic not-complete-defeat" (aka campaign victory). The module scope needs to be widened a little bit, but I don't know how to do that.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadly I don't think that even if 6th Panzer and also 5th Panzer had achieved their objectives the outcome would be any different. It was a wasted offensive. There was no reserve force to throw in and break the western allies completely. There was no hope to overcome western air-power, both logistical and combat, and the USA was building three liberty ships every two days. The western allies were paused anyway and would have overcome any expanded (and exhausted) German perimeter with ease once they recovered their lines. How then to make the "epic battle"? The German generals had convinced themselves this was the last chance to end the war with something less than complete destruction. I think the German campaign needs more cow bell, more potential for "heroic not-complete-defeat" (aka campaign victory). The module scope needs to be widened a little bit, but I don't know how to do that.
Absolutely, Wacht am Rhein helped the Allied cause overall, stepping out from defensive positions and going on offense bleeds the defense line. Even if the Germans take Antwerp, they have to hold it, and then it becomes like German garrisons trapped in Brest in France. If they break out and try to get back to their lines its the Falaise Gap all over again.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Just as long as you can get a good campaign game. Strategic importance or narrative is whatever.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember too, the German Wacht am Rhein purpose wasn't only a military one. Part of the German plan/rationale (perhaps as misguided as it was) was to split the allied forces, create U.S.- British command strife, inflict casualties to create a war weariness on the allied homefronts. All of this with a hope of negotiating an end to the war on the Western and Italian fronts. From there Germany could turn its full attention to the East. Again, misguided perhaps, but what other real options did Germany have at that time? A defensive posture, surely, but the outcome of that strategy would only prolong its inevitable defeat.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I think a lot of this drama about Montgomery gets overstated because it’s the only thing most people even know about him is his rivalries.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I would definitely pick on Perry at WO to have the pre-order of KGP I & II on MMP website to see how many ASLers could be interested (with or without the black counters….:) in the product…..

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I really wanted to like KGP but it didn't grab either of us. I can't understand why because on the surface it looked great. 🤔