KGP HASL's re-printed?

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
You lost me. Wtfru talking about? Whose asking for what?

The nazis were 'judgemental' enough to decide that an entire race needed to be wiped from the planet, and to actually set about making it happen.

Damn right I'll rebuke that notion, and the pieces of garbage who conceived and enacted it. Society doesn't reject nazis because society is too judgemental. Society rejects nazis because nazis are pieces of shit.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Slopes for the most part are pretty easy, it is when mixing them with like hillocks can get a bit wonky. As for reprinting KGP, I prefer MMP come up with newer and better stuff instead. KGP was boring and a real pain in the ass to play. The mist, the terrain, the EC's and the traffic jams just were very unfun. ........
That's it right there.
Initially I was really keen to play it.
Then got immersed in the fog and realized that while I like fog/mist in real life (except while driving), I absolutely despise it in a game of any kind.
As an aesthetic point it's great, realistic - definitely, but practically it's a nightmare.
Plus the offensive was a slapdash/hope for the best possible results "plan" typical of late war Axis (or typical of the entire war if you're really critical).
Also typical of Montgomery for most of his career. 🆒 (not just gonna pick on the Germans)

As far as reprints, I'd agree that new projects would be a better expenditure of limited resources, and easier to get more people hyped up for.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Had it just been straight fog, like a +1 LV Hindrance always, it wouldn't have been so bad. The Mist Levels just seemed like taking it a step too far.

Also agree that new projects would be better. Although that's a moot point anway - the chance of MMP reprinting KGP is about the same as finding unicorns on Mars.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I don’t believe people telling me it’s too much of a grind. A campaign is sposed to be a grind.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Had it just been straight fog, like a +1 LV Hindrance always, it wouldn't have been so bad. The Mist Levels just seemed like taking it a step too far.

Also agree that new projects would be better. Although that's a moot point anway - the chance of MMP reprinting KGP is about the same as finding unicorns on Mars.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I take these complaints with a mine of salt. All of the hype around OBA made me think twice before believing anyone about things that are supposed to be hard. Same thing for boats. It’s not complicated either and it’s funner than I thought it would be.
You’d think how much we see boats in movies that it would be a more popular scenario type.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That would certainly make it more attractive to those of us who already have KGP 1 & 2....but was there much fighting of note in these same areas in 1940?
It would certainly be interesting to see similar terrain in more favorable environmental conditions. Including different maps depicting the action in 1940 would be very appealing and make a great module. Instead of calling it KGP rebrand it as something with Ardennes in the title. Action Ardennes or some such. Throw in Dinant and it would be exquisite!

Not beyond pimping the nickname. 😉🤣🤣

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That would certainly make it more attractive to those of us who already have KGP 1 & 2....but was there much fighting of note in these same areas in 1940?
Now who'd be silly enough to plan to fight in the Ardennes. Drive through it and fight on the other side. Sure.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I take these complaints with a mine of salt. All of the hype around OBA made me think twice before believing anyone about things that are supposed to be hard. Same thing for boats. It’s not complicated either and it’s funner than I thought it would be.
You’d think how much we see boats in movies that it would be a more popular scenario type.
In the early days, we sought out scenarios with rules we'd never used before and all the funky Chapter E stuff just to learn it and try it. If you were willing to spend 10 minutes going over the new rules section ahead of time, combined with skipping some procedural stuff until you need to use it, it's not that hard to learn a new rules section even at the table. Just don't layer too many on top of each other. But boats, gliders, paratroops, ground snow/deep snow/extreme winter, OBA, creeping barrage, skis, night, motorcycles, bicycles, cavalry, cool AFVs, unique AFVs... we did it all and found that none of it is that hard if you go over the pertinent rules, at least a little, ahead of time. I was lucky to have a good buddy who was as into ASL as I was and had roughly the same schedule.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
The difference you can get between seasons and EC alone are enough to make one board stay interesting. I want to play this one because I actually expect and want the fight to be a slog.

Speaking of harder rules, are there any sea landing scenarios for Narvik or anything 1939 or 1940?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It would certainly be interesting to see similar terrain in more favorable environmental conditions. Including different maps depicting the action in 1940 would be very appealing and make a great module. Instead of calling it KGP rebrand it as something with Ardennes in the title. Action Ardennes or some such. Throw in Dinant and it would be exquisite!

Not beyond pimping the nickname. 😉🤣🤣
2nd Ed. Croix de Guerre includes a Dinant map and CG.
That's at least half of what you're asking for.
I had no real need of buying CdeG again, but the Dinant addition was a definite must have in my opinion. (and more counters will come in handy for Inor CGs also - I love early war stuff)
And it's still currently available from MMP. 👍

And back to the original topic, I'd really love to see a Tobruk and a Cassino HASL rather than a reprint of KGP.
Cassino would naturally offer the most variety with several main attacks to choose from for a CG and having plenty of smaller actions available for scenarios, and likely be more popular(?), but Tobruk is still under-represented I feel.

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Speaking of harder rules, are there any sea landing scenarios for Narvik or anything 1939 or 1940?
Narvik wuz more a hybrid land/naval action. Questionable ASL, but possibly something along the lines of Operation Chariot from LFT?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I enjoyed Kampfgruppe Peiper a lot more than Red Barricades. More of an armour game - more interesting purchase choices than always max out on infantry.
8 Dates is more manageable than 30.
The mist stops MG kill stack dominance and is a good thing.
Both sides get to attack and defend.
Never had a problem with slopes.
The only real problem is the colour palette for crest lines.
I'd buy a reprint.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
That’s what I’m thinking. I have played plenty of grindier scenarios. All of a sudden it’s a thing that there are xtra rules. Yeah rite.