KGP CG II Bridge at Cheneux

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It's been the best part of 15 years since I had a chance to play any of the KGP CGs and as I have never played CG II that was this month's challenge. It's also a small CG so it should go fairly quickly.

The German purchase was two SS Inf Pltns for 18 CPP, the 75* Inf gun section with the kuhl Kattenrads and the 120+ OBA and 4 Fort for 60 FPP - total 34 CPP. Four Trenches were placed up front as well as 30 FPP for 20 factors of AP mines and two '?' markers. Leadership DRs were poor with the two starting platoons each getting an 8-0 and the two reserve platoons receiving an 8-1 and 8-0.

The German plan was to throw everything forward to hit the US as hard as possible, using 120+ arty as 8FP harassing fire to hopefully break up any assault over the open ground. There was some thought to using the 3 red, 1 black chits from Hatten but as the Germans are under ammunition shortage in all three CG it was not clear how this might effect the game that might run 7 - 10 turns. With that in mind I had 8B/4R.

With that in mind everyone was stacked forward, one unit per hexrow, alternating pairs of ht, then two squads or MG teams all the way back to hexrow V. The aaht would rush forward in the mist to deny the forward crest of the high ground west of Cheneux while three or four squads and a pair of MGs raced into the woods to block the expected initial American advance.

The mist began as "Very Heavy" and it seemed that each player turn it dropped a level. While the opening US moves went as expected the mist very soon started to dissipate, exposing the German hts to mortar fire sooner than expected. Some relief was gained when rain began to fall. It was not to prove enough to spare the unarmoured vehicles from the worst the 60* mortars could do and it soon became time to get them out, or try to.

The initial American rush was repulsed and soon enough two more para platoons came in over the heights. The American paras had four platoons if infantry and 80+ OBA,.... also with very spotty leadership. The initial force was led by a 9-2 and 7-0 while the two reinforcing platoons brought along a 9-1 and 6+1.

With arrival of two more mortars it was definitely time to get the aaht out of harms way, especially as the captured SdKfz 251/9 made its move along with the infantry. The US mortars let fly as the mist continued to fade away and one after another of the halftracks were knocked out until four were wrecks. The only saving grace was the American assault gun was knocked out before one of the German vehicles was lost.

Both sides started to dig foxholes in order to expand the Strategic Locations so as to form a front. At the same time all four German MGs were stacked up in in the I11 Trench with an 8-0. This would allow the Germans to place 24 FP along the Level 5 heights and across the Level 4 plateau (the river is Level -2 if iirc). At the same time, neither side seemed able to get in touch with their OBA, radio contact failing repeatedly for both sides.

By turn 4 the Germans are down 4 aaht, 1 aatr with a second aatr recalled with a disabled MA. The American push over and around the heights was shot up by the M/HMGs but the mortars forced the two surviving ht to retreat. The Germans finally got radio contact and battery access putting a spotting round on the map.

The American attack in the woods was also roughly handled and as the mortar rounds began to drop, the Americans began to dig with more urgency. The one bright spot for the US was the breaking of a German squad who was attempting to dig a foxhole up on the plateau. This would have placed a strategic location in a good spot to be exploited by the Germans during the coming night scenario.

American attempts to regroup came to nought in Turn 5 as the German 120mm mortars came down with good effect. US losses had been inching up and reached two full squads by this point while the rest of the American paras continued to rout, rally or dig in.

The Germans tried to dig in again on the Plateau, further in the woods in the centre and also pushing a squad around the American right in order to dig yet another foxhole around the developing US perimeter. As events would develop these attempts never had a chance to be completed. With mortars raining down on the heights and the German machine gun redoubt well emplaced, stalemate was setting in.

American shovels were working extremely hard but the effort paid off as a number of foxholes (and strategic locations) appeared in the US Turn 6 PFPh. This gave the US a good series of interlocking locations that could form a solid perimeter, even if it is somewhat shallow and uncomfortably close to the map edge. German mortars tried to adjust to cause more damage but the mortar rounds tended to drift just enough to avoid creating more damage.

Much to the surprise of both sides the battle ended at the end of the US turn. It is not entirely clear who was more relieved but the US will certainly benefit from the retained 80+ OBA for the coming Night fight.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
KGP CG II The Perimeter

Here is the perimeter, in two pieces so it would fit the file size limit. I'm pretty sure this is correct but as it has been so long since I did one of these feel free to point out any errors. The CG will not likely proceed until Tuesday evening so there is time to make changes.

Western Map

Eastern Map

Last edited: