KGP: Beast at Bay-- Can Americans Win?

LtDan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff (Tank Dawg) discussion of OVHS and how hopeless it is for the Canadians if their OBA goes wrong reminded me somewhat of the situation in Beast at Bay from KGP. This is the big scenario where the Americans attack Le Gleize from both sides. Due to set up restrictions, a good portion of the American tanks set up within LOS of the Germans, which means, effectively, that they are toast if they get hit. The Amis have a 90L gun which can be effective against the German tanks, however, if it malfs (which happened to me in one of my games), you have no more "god piece" to dish out some punishment.

Despite the hopelessness of the situation, I started this not once but twice as the hapless Americans, and both times I was pretty much smoked (literally) by the second turn.

Using the balance may have helped (it reduces the set up restrictions on the American tanks).

Anyone played this as the Americans and won? With or without the balance?

I want to like KGP so much, but it is a somewhat demoralizing situation depending on which side you are playing and in which scenario / CG...

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh Dan,

You JUST had to go there! :roll:

KGP is my favorite CG, but it, and its scenarios are VERY tough on the Amis. As I have said many times, if real life Germans were as tough as they are in ASL, especially KGP, we would be goose-stepping today.

And these scenarios really exemplify that.

The reason I like HoB, Schwerepunkt and Bounding Fire scenarios is they try to give the US a helping, historical hand when it comes to Armor. Give those horrible shermans Gyros, and special ammo along with an AL, you have got a chance. But without, in KGP, you are praying for your Jackson's and 90L AT guns to do some damage.

Thank God that in real life, Shermans, even the 75mm ones, killed Panthers from side AND front. (Try THAT in ASL).

Like I have also said previously, the more I play Combat Mission and read about US Armor in WW2, the more flaws I see in ASL Armor rules. But we still love the game.

In this scenario, you just have to maximize manuever, smoke and pray for some great rolls. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle. (Or simply play Sam B) :D

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this scenario, you just have to maximize manuever, smoke and pray for some great rolls. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle. (Or simply play Sam B)
OK, turkey....

VASL at twenty paces.

I suck at this game, but not as bad as you!! ;)

LtDan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So Jeff, are you saying your opponant beat you in Beast at Bay as the Americans? :)

DANO