Kasserine 43 - help please

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Disclaimer: Apparently I suck at TOAW.

Having played France 40 as the Germans (my first try at TOAW) and taking Paris on my last turn to earn an overwhelming victory, I was feeling pretty confident in my ability but that was soon to change. Last night I started the Kasserine scenario, playing the allies as I had read the PO is better at attack than defence, and that turned out to be very true. In fact, I was getting my ass kicked by the computer. I read the strategy articles on this site before but, alas, so has the computer it would seem, because it blasted my defence all over the place. I tried defending in the mountains north, east and west of Kasserine, hoping to wear down the German spearhead and counter attacking with my small reserve, but that counter attack never came as my forces were pushed back and beaten up. So, can anyone give me some pointers as how to defend properly in this scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Tue

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Tue said:
So, can anyone give me some pointers as how to defend properly in this scenario?
Short version : you cannot defend properly
The scenario is highly favourable to the German player (even if handled by the PO as it appears). You may grab a draw or something near it however by sneaking a unit or two in its rear and grabbing as much VP locations as possible. It will either relieve your hard-pressed units defending Kasserine if the PO goes back after your wandering units or earn you precious VPs.
Best of luck in all cases...

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
WestPointer said:
Don't kick yourself. See here ... this scenario is almost impossible as the Allies.
Thank you. I would appear that I suck a little less. :D

Last edited:

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
nemo said:
You may grab a draw or something near it however by sneaking a unit or two in its rear and grabbing as much VP locations as possible. It will either relieve your hard-pressed units defending Kasserine if the PO goes back after your wandering units or earn you precious VPs.
Best of luck in all cases...
I considered that but isn't it a bit gamey? Small units wandering all over the map capturing certain locations while my main force is being beaten into a pulp hardly seems satisfying. Nevermind, I'll just try to do better next time.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Granted, it is not the highest in game elegance - but even the PO should be guarding its lines of communications no?

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
nemo said:
Granted, it is not the highest in game elegance - but even the PO should be guarding its lines of communications no?
Sure. However, a capable human opponent wouldn't let these units live so I decided to let them stay in place and consider them dead which meant that I lost spectacularly but it's probably better to learn it the hard way.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
what about trying to make the po advance to the hex that trigger the british reinforcements in the north, you should give it a try imo but don't know if it will work, if it works those reinforcements should be very usefull, i hope this can help :)

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
viridomaros said:
what about trying to make the po advance to the hex that trigger the british reinforcements in the north, you should give it a try imo but don't know if it will work, if it works those reinforcements should be very usefull, i hope this can help :)
I think I got those and they did me some good, but obviously not enough. ;)

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
strange i remember someone having posted here about this scenario and asking for help as being the axis player
he was facing difficulties because of those reinforcements
those reinforcements are huge but it's easy not to trigger them
( i'm talking about hex 17,9 )

Tue

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
viridomaros said:
strange i remember someone having posted here about this scenario and asking for help as being the axis player
he was facing difficulties because of those reinforcements
those reinforcements are huge but it's easy not to trigger them
( i'm talking about hex 17,9 )
After looking at the map again I don't think I got those. I received reinforcements along the way but the Germans went west and south of that hex. I'll try it again to see if I can lure them that way instead. Thanks.

Tue

Last edited: