Jutland

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
Wow

I hoped the next one would be WW1 but never dreamed that they would actually start with Jutland! That's a serious number of ships!

I hope that the fleet handling options will get a little attention. Thinks I think are essential that aren't in DG are

- better division orders (i.e. options other than just 'follow'). We need something that keeps fleet formation through turns, or relative position to other ships, not just follow. I don't fancy deploying the Grand Fleet from cruising formation to line with the current orders - I would imagine a mess!
- better target options (other than leader or nearest). We need 'target opposite number in line', and 'target nearest ship to this point' (to have your fleet automatically concentrate on each ship as it comes to a turn point)
- firing on ships at very close range needs to be sorted (the sub 500yds issue). Also, firing through own ships/masking, and firing on targets with friendlies close. At Jutland, ship and smoke masking certainly drove the thinking of the commanders very often, whether justified or not.
Also, the tendancy to blow up needs very careful consideration (it's the old issue: 3 RN ships blew up, and one more nearly did - is this the mean, was it very unlucky, or even was the RN very lucky not to lose more (Lion for example)). I can see this being one hot topic!

Oh, and (in case you haven't seen from my name I am a bit of a Warspite fan. Screenshot please? Pretty please? (All 4 QEs would be good!) I'll buy your game if you do... (of course, I'll buy it anyway, but you don't know that!)

Rhetor

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
It's great to hear that I might get a chance to crush the British navy.

I take it for granted, that the tactical AI will be improved, and a scenario editor added.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Brilliant news.

Although I abandoned DG now, as I rediscovered SH3 with the great GWX mod, I for sure will purchase Jutland.

But I strongly hope you will concentrate not only on the eye-candy but improve the AI also.

Looking forward to this game.

Z.

PS.: Jim, if you need a helping hand on a German manual again, feel free to ask.

Jim McConnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hooray! :D Personally, I'm delighted to learn that WW1 in the North Sea will be the next DG subject. Now that we know, we can better target our wishlists ;) .

I strongly second Waspite's comments, particularly his call for improved targeting options. If DG/Jutland will indeed support a "real numbers" campaign environment for North Sea circa 1916, i.e., the full historical fleets for both sides, then it will need to simplify the admiral's job even further, beyond DG/RJW.

Now I think DG/RJW was the best naval game yet produced. But it seems to me that DG/Jutland will really need some sort of "divisional targeting orders" construct. With this many ships (hopefully) involved :) , we'll need to focus on being admirals, not gunnery officers.

I won't touch the "how often should RN ships blow up compared to KM ships" question, a subject which can lead to fierce debates methinks :hush: , beyond saying that I hope Norm doesn't "hardwire" some fixed "critical hit %" into the game, that whatever he decides to do, it will be "flexible".

Questions: Will there be submarines? Will there be Zeppelins? Will there be aircraft?

Will there be a scenario editor?

Will there be a multiplayer campaign environment?

Last edited:

Daedalus

Reaction score
Well this is good news. I just get logged on from my move and here is the data that I was hoping for.
Man is this going to take away from family time!

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Up until DG, I bought every game that Norm put out. However poor public relations (much of which appeared on this forum) and an unacceptable (to me) copy protection system stopped me from buying DG.

I can watch the PR myself. What copy protection (please give complete details) will be utilized and on how many of my computers can I install Jutland if I buy a copy of the game?

Daedalus

Reaction score
Hooray! :D Personally, I'm delighted to learn that WW1 in the North Sea will be the next DG subject. Now that we know, we can better target our wishlists ;) .

I strongly second Waspite's comments, particularly his call for improved targeting options. If DG/Jutland will indeed support a "real numbers" campaign environment for North Sea circa 1916, i.e., the full historical fleets for both sides, then it will need to simplify the admiral's job even further, beyond DG/RJW.

Now I think DG/RJW was the best naval game yet produced. But it seems to me that DG/Jutland will really need some sort of "divisional targeting orders" construct. With this many ships (hopefully) involved :) , we'll need to focus on being admirals, not gunnery officers.

I won't touch the "how often should RN ships blow up compared to KM ships" question, a subject which can lead to fierce debates methinks :hush: , beyond saying that I hope Norm doesn't "hardwire" some fixed "critical hit %" into the game, that whatever he decides to do, it will be "flexible".

Questions: Will there be submarines? Will there be Zeppelins? Will there be aircraft?

Will there be a scenario editor?

Will there be a multiplayer campaign environment?
Well we had a few U.F.O's in the last game so I can forsee a path to the airships. It would make it great would it not. I for one can hardly wait till I get more data on this.

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mish

What bugs are you referring to?

There are no bugs being reported right now.

Also, what version are you playing?

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KG_Jag

What poor PR are you reffering too?

Kinda of funny that you say that when Distant GUns and Storm Eagle Studios win ArmChair General 2006 Wargame of the Year and they comment that our customer service and support is the best they have ever seen...

This forum here is not our offical support area. This is the Distant Guns community.

Did you buy Distant Guns? Did you have a problem?

If you didnt, how do you know what kind of service and support we have?

You can install our games on as many computers as you like, but you have to pay for each one you wish to run at the same time.

We sad to hear that you are missing the best Naval Simulation ever made. Our copy protection is here to stay.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What poor PR are you reffering {sic} too?
Jim, remember (when this forum was still SZO) the posts and threads that Don removed and then much later reposted? There was also much discussion about the issue on Google Groups Historical Wargames forum. I believe part of it had to do with a comment you made concerning a type of fish. I can provide links to the Google discussions, if you would like. The original SZO posts may be a bit more difficult to find since we are now Gamesquad. By the way this is the Gamesquad forum. The Distant Guns topic is one of very many.

Thanks the information about being able to install the game on a single computer. That is a negative for me. By the way, I am not a pirate but personally use three different computers, depending on where I am from time to time.

I'm still waiting on your response about copy protection. As I recall that information was slow in coming when you were asked the same question on this forum about DG, just before it came out.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi,

you can use your licence of DG on as many computers you want. But only one at the same time.

F.E. your licence is currently on computer A, you know you want to use it on computer B. You transfer the licence back to SES servers (then your install on computer A is in demo mode) and pick the licence from the SES servers on computer B, enabling the full mode. All you need is a connect to the internet on both machines. Licence transfer can be done with any data media aswell (CD, USB stick etc.).

Greets

Z.

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KG_Kag

You can find out all about our copy protection in our FAQk.

Its on our website.

But I guess no matter what we post or say, your response will be the same.

Enjoy!

PS: Say hi to MR. Fisshy for me..:]

bill44

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I hoped the next one would be WW1 but never dreamed that they would actually start with Jutland! That's a serious number of ships!

Also, the tendancy to blow up needs very careful consideration (it's the old issue: 3 RN ships blew up, and one more nearly did - is this the mean, was it very unlucky, or even was the RN very lucky not to lose more (Lion for example)). I can see this being one hot topic!
Those magazine explosions were a direct consequence of the poor cordite storage practices that the british employed, having powder bags stacked outside of opened flash proof doors to speed up the firing.
I dont know how that could be replicated in the game.

Norm, Jim, you guys in my opinion have a first rate game and a customer based service that is second to none, i will be buying Jutland. :clap:

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill,

thanks for the kind words!

We have debated the magazine explosion issue, and we may include a switch to have ot both ways!

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
Those magazine explosions were a direct consequence of the poor cordite storage practices that the british employed, having powder bags stacked outside of opened flash proof doors to speed up the firing.
I dont know how that could be replicated in the game.
Not with you: without knowing anything about the game detail mechanics, I would just handle it as a % chance of magazine explosion (which is already modelled), following any penetrating (main) mount hit. The tricky bit is what value to apply to the %!

In addition, the additional powder storage in the turret ammo supply system to speed rate of fire is only (IIRC) one theory as to the high number of explosions. There are also concerns about basic flash tightness, weak main armour leading to straight penetrations to the magazines, and also the stability of British cordite, although personally I think that last is not relevant. For the record, there was one Ge ship that nearly had the same problem but the flash didn't make it to the magazine, only the hoist. Having lost the entire C & D turret crews at Dogger Bank and nearly the magazine, due to cordite flash Seydlitz managed to lose C turret at Jutland for the same reason. The effects were minimised by changes made after Dogger BAnk. As I say, the devil is in the % you put on each side! :D