Just starting in ASL, would love to learn with another player or be taught by a veteran.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Idk whatever happened to the local clubs page because I found plenty of people in a city near me. Played many games. Had many fun times. Went even to tournaments later on. Learned to crush skullz.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@darthsmaul You've come to the right place. Are you looking to play live via VASL, or play by email? I think live would be better for learning, especially if you zoom, discord, or another system to talk. For live play, what time zone are you in? I think ASLSK is the best way to learn, and scenario S1 "Retaking Vierville" is a great learning scenario. I've taught others, and I'd be happy to teach you if you're interested.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Paramarine is being mean for reason known only to him. I gave him a warning.
Ah, awesome! "Ignore member" works so well that I didn't understand what Robin was referring to until your reply.

Hmmm... now I was about to recommend Robin use that feature but since I see he is a Moderator I guess it is his lot in life to have to see all that.

As to @darthsmaul original post - Welcome! I started on ASLSK 1 just about a year ago and am already doing a full ASL CG at the moment. You are at the right place full of friendly helpful people (well, I guess with one notable exception already).

If you haven't tracked them down already, Jay Richardson put together some really excellent ASL Starter Kit tutorials:

They can help you get a head start on understanding how the rules work.

And there is a whole slew of really helpful aids and play-throughs at BGG as well:

Of course you don't need to do all of that as "homework" if you prefer learning on the fly with a mentor either face-to-face or via live VASL, but some people find them helpful to feel a bit more comfortable with their first games. I really recommend picking one of the condensed sequence of play sheets for ASLSK1 to be at your side to remind you of what happens when and remind you not to forget various opportunities during play.

Most of it becomes second nature pretty quickly, but the ASLSK rule book itself strikes an unhappy medium between not being organized as a reference nor being organized as a tutorial. Instead use the tutorials and guides the community has put together over the years to guide your learning and things will probably go a lot smoother.

Welcome again!

darthsmaul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@darthsmaul You've come to the right place. Are you looking to play live via VASL, or play by email? I think live would be better for learning, especially if you zoom, discord, or another system to talk. For live play, what time zone are you in? I think ASLSK is the best way to learn, and scenario S1 "Retaking Vierville" is a great learning scenario. I've taught others, and I'd be happy to teach you if you're interested.
by vassal live would be prefered while on my phone or discord. Im in Central, Im in Fargo, ND.

darthsmaul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, awesome! "Ignore member" works so well that I didn't understand what Robin was referring to until your reply.

Hmmm... now I was about to recommend Robin use that feature but since I see he is a Moderator I guess it is his lot in life to have to see all that.

As to @darthsmaul original post - Welcome! I started on ASLSK 1 just about a year ago and am already doing a full ASL CG at the moment. You are at the right place full of friendly helpful people (well, I guess with one notable exception already).

If you haven't tracked them down already, Jay Richardson put together some really excellent ASL Starter Kit tutorials:

They can help you get a head start on understanding how the rules work.

And there is a whole slew of really helpful aids and play-throughs at BGG as well:

Of course you don't need to do all of that as "homework" if you prefer learning on the fly with a mentor either face-to-face or via live VASL, but some people find them helpful to feel a bit more comfortable with their first games. I really recommend picking one of the condensed sequence of play sheets for ASLSK1 to be at your side to remind you of what happens when and remind you not to forget various opportunities during play.

Most of it becomes second nature pretty quickly, but the ASLSK rule book itself strikes an unhappy medium between not being organized as a reference nor being organized as a tutorial. Instead use the tutorials and guides the community has put together over the years to guide your learning and things will probably go a lot smoother.

Welcome again!
yeah I have been watching vidoes for about a week, and I did play Squad Leader back in the day, I played the first 4 or 5 scenarios, was going to take that up again since I own all of it but I heard that part way through the vehicle rules get changed and you have to relearn it so thought I would just take the leap into ASL.

darthsmaul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah Ive been watching some ASL bootcamps on youtube from 2 channels, and focusing on the ASLSK1 stuff, I bought one one ebay so waiting to get that, and I own a game store and buy direct from MMP so Ill buy 2, 3 and 4 from myself :)

darthsmaul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
got all 4 SK's now and been doing some live and pbem vassal play, so going well, Scott if you are out there we lost contact buddy?