just started getting this error and don't know why...or how to fix it...any help?

John Bark

ASL 4 FUN only!!!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading data from random.org
Random.org not reachable or read failed: error= Received fatal alert: protocol_version

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From the error I would say you have an old version of the plugin that is talking to random.org installed. But that's just a first guess based on the message saying "protocol _version." There might also be some reason that you are unable to traverse the route (computer route, not asl) from your local machine to random.org, e.g. your dns is out-of-date or messed up.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Under the assumption that the issue is local to you, move all your extensions out of their folder and repeat your test. If it works then, you probably have a dice roller extension which you don’t need anymore. If it still doesn’t work, and you’re using the same vasl module everyone else is, then it would have to be a network thing.

My money is on an extension messing it up.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Under the assumption that the issue is local to you, move all your extensions out of their folder and repeat your test. If it works then, you probably have a dice roller extension which you don’t need anymore. If it still doesn’t work, and you’re using the same vasl module everyone else is, then it would have to be a network thing.

My money is on an extension messing it up.
I've recently encountered the issue of of VASL/VASSAL not being able to read from Random.org during this week's gaming sessions, including this morning, receiving the same error message as the OP. Up until now, no issues.
I tried removing all extensions (though I haven't added recent extensions). I tried using VASL versions 6.4.2 and 6.4.3. I tried two different computers, and I disconnected from WiFi and tried going through my phone serving as a hot spot.
The only other thing I can think of is the server under preferences:

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, can you browse to random.org when you're getting this error in VASL?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Well you have me stumped. Does the Error Log in the VASSAL window show anything extra? Have you installed any virus or network software lately?

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well you have me stumped. Does the Error Log in the VASSAL window show anything extra? Have you installed any virus or network software lately?
The VASSAL Error log doesn't seem to be showing anything extra. I don't have any virus/network software installed on my Mac.
In addition, I tried running VASL on Windows 10 installed on the Mac. Same result, leading me to believe there may be something wrong with my network, although I'm able to use the Internet as usual.
I think I'll try to restart the router and try again.
Thank you very much for your help.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You now check the random.org dice option in your preferences.
The extension is no more necessary.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely a weird issue. Random.org was working fine for me last night, but not for my opponent. I don't know what in VASL would cause it to work for one and not another. It does seem to be having issues for a decent number of players.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just tried random.org dice and it worked.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
According to this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16541627/javax-net-ssl-sslexception-received-fatal-alert-protocol-version you may have an old(er) JDK that you might want to try updating to Java 1.8 to upgrade its security settings.

If you don't have 1.8 already installed (because you have 1.6, 1.7, etc) you can't just use the built-in upgrader because that just goes from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 to 1.6.2, etc. You'll want to install 1.8. You can get the installer from here:

(edit)
To confirm which version of Java your VAS(SA)L is running under, go to the Help menu of VASSAL and choose Show Error Log. Depending on your OS, you will see something like this:

2019-02-03 14:46:42,635 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2019-02-03 14:46:42,639 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Mac OS X 10.14.3
2019-02-03 14:46:42,640 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 1.8.0_181
2019-02-03 14:46:42,640 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.17

That 3rd line is the line you're interested in.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The VASSAL Error log doesn't seem to be showing anything extra. I don't have any virus/network software installed on my Mac.
In addition, I tried running VASL on Windows 10 installed on the Mac. Same result, leading me to believe there may be something wrong with my network, although I'm able to use the Internet as usual.
I think I'll try to restart the router and try again.
Thank you very much for your help.
Ok for the Mac users, here's how I'm now able to get dice rolls from random.org:

I have two Macs which were running on OS Sierra (10.12.6). I've taken one of the rigs and updated to OS Mojave (10.14). When attempting to launch VASSAL, I was informed I need to upgrade the JDK to 8.x (sorry I don't remember the version).

Upon installing the latest Java version, I was then able to launch VASSAL and VASL, and now I'm retrieving rolls from random .org so it appears I'm good to go. Please note: the other rig I still have on OS Sierra, and still unable to obtain rolls from random.org.

I hope this helps.

John Bark

ASL 4 FUN only!!!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16541627/javax-net-ssl-sslexception-received-fatal-alert-protocol-version you may have an old(er) JDK that you might want to try updating to Java 1.8 to upgrade its security settings.

If you don't have 1.8 already installed (because you have 1.6, 1.7, etc) you can't just use the built-in upgrader because that just goes from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 to 1.6.2, etc. You'll want to install 1.8. You can get the installer from here:

(edit)
To confirm which version of Java your VAS(SA)L is running under, go to the Help menu of VASSAL and choose Show Error Log. Depending on your OS, you will see something like this:

2019-02-03 14:46:42,635 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2019-02-03 14:46:42,639 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Mac OS X 10.14.3
2019-02-03 14:46:42,640 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 1.8.0_181
2019-02-03 14:46:42,640 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.17

That 3rd line is the line you're interested in.
thanks this did the trick...it's back working again...thanks, zoltan!!!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Could this be an Issue?

In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Internet Explorer, for example) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info