just started getting this error and don't know why...or how to fix it...any help?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
OK...
Version 1.6.0_45
But JAVA wants me to create an account to download?
Do I need to do that?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
OK...
Version 1.6.0_45
But JAVA wants me to create an account to download?
Do I need to do that?
Unfortunately, I believe so. Oracle is doing a bit of a overreach but once VASSAL 3.3.0 is finalized, it shouldn't be an issue.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I just had to switch from windows 7 to 10 because my desktop crashed due to boot file corruption and it was time to bite the bullet on Windows 10 anyway.

As a result i had to re-download VASSAL.

When I tried do that from the VASSAL site downloading the installer, the installer fails, reporting back a Java error -- won't install.

So that's a problem with the install program right now.

In order to get this to work, I had to install Java separately from the Java website using a Chrome browser. Edge won't work for that, is what I've heard. So that's an issue there.

It looks like the install install program needs to be fixed or else VASSAL won't install correctly on new machines with newly installed Windows 10 unless Java is already installed.

Some users may not figure out they have to go and install Java separately in order to get the installation program to work.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is no connection today between your browser and whatever Java plugin your browser may or may not be running and VASSAL. We eliminated launching from a browser something like a decade ago, when it became clear that Java WebStart caused a lot of support problems and was likely to be phased out on the Java side.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Windows installer isn't able to download Java at the moment due to java.com having changed their their setup. The URL used by our installer no longer works and I wasn't able to find a new one which does. The solution we've adopted is bundling Java with VASSAL for 3.3.0, so that no one will need to install Java separately, nor will there be any further problems with users having the wrong version of Java.

This is already done and works, but there's a problem with HiDPI support starting with Java 9 that's blocking us from doing a 3.3.0 release. I don't expect to get back to this during November due to other commitments, but maybe in December.